Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 15:24   #16

Boat: Prout 34
Re: diesel power for gemini 3200

I like the outboard option also. There's a 25 hp Yamaha on my 34' cat. Plenty of power. In your calculations you might want to look at your options on how to turn the outboard. Helps alot with close quarter maneuvering.
hurricanehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 15:26   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1
diesel power for gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Two Torqeedo's , one on each hull and a Gen set! This way the gen set also does your house charging needs... ???

I like it! Won't be cheap though.

I have a mono with an outboard and a mono with a diesel inboard. Diesel is so much easier to deal with, safer, and more reliable. I also have a dingy with a torqueedo and really like it, although they aren't as quiet as one would hope.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 16:27   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Two Torqeedo's , one on each hull and a Gen set! This way the gen set also does your house charging needs... ???

Now your talking major weight issues which the Gemini can't handle.

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 16:36   #19

Think that would weigh more than a diesel setup? Two torqueedos and a small gen set? maybe , gotta have the batteries too...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 16:38   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Think that would weigh more than a diesel setup? Two torqueedos and a small gen set? maybe , gotta have the batteries too...

Maybe close to the same, but would weigh much more than a single outboard which is what the 3200 was designed to have.

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 10:38   #21

Boat: Islander 32, shoal draft, tall rig

Thanks gang,

I was thinking that the motor mount piviots to raise it up. I just installed a new beta marine 20 diesel in my mono that i am selling. It weighs just about 220 pounds with hurth trans. Tiny, 3 cyl.

How much does a 25hp 4 stroke weigh?

Total cost was under 10g . Eng, trans, shaft,prop, muffler, hoses, coupling.

What does a good 4 stroke go for these days?
1oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 11:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldbuzzard View Post
Thanks gang,

I was thinking that the motor mount piviots to raise it up. I just installed a new beta marine 20 diesel in my mono that i am selling. It weighs just about 220 pounds with hurth trans. Tiny, 3 cyl.

How much does a 25hp 4 stroke weigh?

Total cost was under 10g . Eng, trans, shaft,prop, muffler, hoses, coupling.

What does a good 4 stroke go for these days?
I think ours weighs in around 160#.

Assuming 220# in each hull plus shafts and props. That could easily be an extra 300#. Also the hull shape isn't designed for thru hull props so they would likely need a steep downward angle.

We paid $5k (2007) and that included the install, which took all of a couple hours and they threw in a lower pitched work prop which made the 25hp better around the docks than the old 40hp it replaced.

I'm assuming your $10k is parts only for a single engine. So figure $20k+ and a lot of work if you do it yourself.

Also, how do you plan to wrassle those engines into the back cabins? That could be a project unto itself.

Realistically with the outboard tied into the rudders, I take our Gemini places I wouldn't try with our previous twin inboard power boat. It just takes a little practice to get the manuvering down.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 11:30   #23

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

The newest outboards are the bees knees. Lite, starts easy and runs smooth, fuel efficient and super quiet.

Not sure why you would consider anything else.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 11:50   #24

Boat: Islander 32, shoal draft, tall rig

To Valhala360:

On this 3200 I am looking at the motor mount piviots up with the motor on it. I was not going to use 2 diesels. I was thinking of mounting a small diesel in the pivoting structure with a sail drive. I saw a cat in Mobile Bay once like that. Probably not a Gemini though.

The pivoting structure may not be wide enough though.
1oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:46   #25

Boat: Scout 30

Here's a Gemini with a Westerbeke. Pretty common for this model.

1994 Gemini Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 14:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldbuzzard View Post
To Valhala360:

On this 3200 I am looking at the motor mount piviots up with the motor on it. I was not going to use 2 diesels. I was thinking of mounting a small diesel in the pivoting structure with a sail drive. I saw a cat in Mobile Bay once like that. Probably not a Gemini though.

The pivoting structure may not be wide enough though.
You would lose one of the big advantages. When not making way (ie: the rudders aren't doing anything to help steer), I can turn the outboard and push or pull the rear around. It makes a big difference in tight quarters manuvering. (remember there will be no prop wash across the rudders)

If you add the sail drive to your 220#, you are probably trying to lift north of 260#. You would probably have to reinforce the bucket and add a winch of some sort to raise and lower it.

Also, outboards are designed to be exposed to water and take the occasional splash. Most diesel installations prefer a dry space to live in. How would you protect the motor?

The real killer, if you look at the bucket, the roof above it slopes down and narrows quickly once you get ahead of the transom. You would either have to extend the bucket further out the back or do major fiberglass surgery to make room for it.

If you are just looking for a project for the sake of a project, go for it and let us know how it turns out. If you are looking for a practical solution, this is a bad idea.

As someone else pointed out the late model 3400's and most of the 105's are diesel powered but they completely redid the back to provide a space for the engine and use a special I/O unit (what I've seen, they are the biggest maintenance headaches on a lot of the boats).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gemini