Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 22:28   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
try mearsk ,msc,nedloyd,cmgm, though you would probably have to pay the equivelent of 4x40ft containers for a 37 ft cat,plus you would need a cradle,plus possably a 60 ft container rate for the mast,also would need to be there to load and unload.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 15:46   #17

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Hi, your idea is sound but as I have found you really need to upsize to make the deal work.
The cost and hassle of sailing a boat out is the same for a 37 ft as a 60ft if anything the 60fter will be easier.
I received a quote from Dockwise to bring a 38 ft cat from Miami to Brisbane on their special ship, it was $50K USD discounted if I paid in advance with no refund otherwise it would be $70K USD.
A friend who imports Lagoons told me it’s costing him $60K AUD to transport them in at the moment.
Another thing to be aware of is the insurance cost, I was quoted 5% hull value for a delivery from Europe to Australia.
The other issue to consider is the final value when you get to Australia, prices have been softening for a while now so don’t count on getting huge dollars when you get it back even if it’s a late model in top condition.
For me the only option is to have the boat sailed back on its bottom and chose a boat that you want for yourself so you can enjoy the boat even if the dollar value doesn’t work out as good as you had hoped.
Finally be very cautious of the repairs that may be required on an older boat.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 16:10   #18

Boat: Traditional 30
One thing to remember. Aussie boat sales have slowed somewhat. The prices you see on boat point arent what people are actually getting for their boats. I only paid 75% of the advertised price on my last boat.

Most boats that have been there for some time are constantly dropping in price. Its not unusual to see a boat on boat point for 6-12 months before it sells at a much lower price.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:14   #19

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Yes, true but as far as I can tell good production cats still have a high demand vs. supply and are still selling well if they are realistically priced.

Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 19:52   #20
Marine Service Provider

I would be happy to have the cat crewed back from the US, keep it for a year or two and do some Aus and south Pacific cruising and then on-sell. Unless I got ripped a new one on the delivery price that should be achievable.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 20:23   #21

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
One thing to keep in mind if you have the time is that on direct runs port to port in Australia, the charges can be negotiated at the last minute (the week before sailing) on vessels loaded aboard tranfer boats like Dockside. If they have room, it takes about a week to measure, set up cradles and square away your boat for transit but you should be able to negotiate a great discount at the last minute. You don't have the luxury of loading and arriving on a set schedule but if you are flexible and they have the space, you can save a few $. When I was in the delivery business, I was always happy with $/knm but had many where I quoted a flat rate or expenses plus override. Good Luck... cheers ,Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 02:24   #22
Marine Service Provider

This is what we have in Australia to compare to.

TENNANT VALENCIA boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Seriously, for that kind of cash I can get a very tidy machine overseas, even with the import duties!
Old 16-12-2010, 03:36   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Do it then. And good luck
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 04:43   #24
Marine Service Provider

Typical words for an agent but in this case I won't come crawling back to you!
Old 16-12-2010, 05:00   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Whoa - I was actually trying to be reasonably nice - if you think you can do it - then do it, I think I remarked early on that it was possible, but not as clear cut as some think. I think I said it was particularly possible if you could deliver the boat your self, I dont think I said it wasnt achievable just that you needed to think all the costs through before you take the jump. I also think dragon lady makes a good point, the bigger and more expensive the boat - the better the chance of making the deal work. I did the sums many times when I was chasing a tri and couldn't even get close too making them work. Its likely to be a better proposition now though with the Aus dollar a bit stronger than it was then.

You weren't going to do business with me anyway I wouldnt have thought, I only sell new boats, and then only one brand - so unless you wanted a new boat of our brand - I probably wasnt going to be of service to you anyway.

If you were buying second hand there are a number of good people in the industry, and in terms of new boats not of my brand - I could certainly recommend decent people across a range of brands (both Australian and imported) who are ethical (and happen to sell opposition brands). One of them is also the best multi sailor I know, by far.

I will admit that the valencia doesnt like like the nicest boat I have seen but Tennant was a very good designer. I noticed this one Azuli, it lives about 6 boats up from me and I have always admired it and it certainly sails well. There is also this one Easy that looks okay for a 12 metre boat, and Peter snell the easy designer will go out of his way to assist you with any of his boats, a genuinely nice bloke he will do what he can to assist in advising whether an easy is a boat built to plan or not.

Why the aggro?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 05:07   #26
Marine Service Provider

No agro intended, just a comment. You comment sounds like that of an agent I was speaking to who sarcastically said "good luck" to me.