Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 10:10   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Crazy idea? One year sabbatical...

If this is a duplicate sorry. Take the sabbatical if you can. Look for another job but don't burn any bridges behind you.
With kids spend the money for the ARC or ARC+. Don't try it solo. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 10:23   #17

Boat: Nonsuch U30

I meet many who get to the Caribbean, and just stay there, 5,10,20 years!
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:08   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Easy now Ken, be nice
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:11   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Easy now Ken, be nice
I inserted a proper smiley face and complimented Mr. Pcmm on his approach to tackling the issue via hard work and diligence. Did I leave out a smiley, or was I just too direct?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	147906  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:12   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I look at it this way.
He has 1,500 a month, save that 1,500 for a year, then a year from now he has 3,000 a month for one year to spend.
I assume the plan is to sell the boat in Fl, which may be a better market, or it could turn into spending a 1,000 a month in storage and other fees waiting for the boat to sell, for how long?
Best plan for that too, or be prepared to sell at a very good price to ensure not enduring the death by a thousand cuts
Old 16-05-2017, 11:18   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I inserted a proper smiley face and complimented Mr. Pcmm on his approach to tackling the issue via hard work and diligence. Did I leave out a smiley, or was I just too direct?

I'd say a little to the point, however I understand you wanting to help and not have some poor guy's dream go down the drain from not being financially prepared, I know your concern is genuine.
I would maybe also point out that I have not really begun cruising myself, and you do so for 6 months at a time and then only in the Med, so neither of us are true seasoned Veterans?
But I think if nothing else we have both poured over every how much does it cost thread and have enough experience to find that at least we cannot cruise on $500 a month
Better to be a little overprepared than under, just of course you can worry yourself so much that you never go too, have to find that logical balance, and that will vary from one individual to another.
Myself I think I am a little more risk adverse than some here, but that does not mean it doesn't work for them.
Old 16-05-2017, 11:21   #22

Boat: Lots of boats.

If you are completely debt free, excellent! But if I have learned anything about this modern world, it costs a good amount of money to live in it. I know the US is very different than France, but in these times, I would not be asking for a sabbatical. It tells my employer they can get along fine without me. I don't even vacation longer than 3 weeks. Any more time than that and they start adjusting around me. Even if I managed to replace my job when I got back, would it be at the same pay? 10 years ago, I would have said, "sure, no problem". Not so certain today.

I would suggest you find a job you enjoy more and then buy a moderate boat. I'm not sure of your situation, but it sounds like you already enjoy sailing and make time to do it. Maybe you are just looking for a boat you can call your own. If you had a job you enjoyed more, and had a boat located near where you live, would it be so bad to continue working? You could certainly buy more of a boat or even buy one on credit if you had a reliable career in place.

I personally appreciate the freedom of spending whatever money I want to thanks to a steady job. If I need to replace something on the boat, I don't have to worry that I spent a month's worth of food budget. Instead, I shrug it off knowing the money will be replaced by the end of the week. Completely different mind set.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:39   #23
cruiser

There are other things that go wrong when it comes to boating which need to be in the budget. Three hours ago whilst going through the shipyard security gate, I dropped my backpack and crushed my iphone 6 which was inside in an Otterbox case. That really sucks. Then I cut my finger on the glass.

Wouldn't an item like this consume about 1/2 the monthly budget for the OP?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1130.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	147908  
Old 16-05-2017, 12:23   #24

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
There are other things that go wrong when it comes to boating which need to be in the budget. Three hours ago whilst going through the shipyard security gate, I dropped my backpack and crushed my iphone 6 which was inside in an Otterbox case. That really sucks. Then I cut my finger on the glass.

Wouldn't an item like this consume about 1/2 the monthly budget for the OP?
For the phone, its best NOT to have an iphone, they're delicate overpriced tech. Because I'm around the water a lot I choose to purchase a Kyocera Duraforce phone, its heavier than most phones due to the Mil spec aluminum body that is waterproof, runs android and can be replaced with a refurb'd unit for around $100 USD
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:49   #25

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

My only concern is the reference to what you refer to as "normal life." You will need to realign your self identification process before fully implementing such a wonderful plan.
Old 16-05-2017, 13:03   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
For the phone, its best NOT to have an iphone, they're delicate overpriced tech. Because I'm around the water a lot I choose to purchase a Kyocera Duraforce phone, its heavier than most phones due to the Mil spec aluminum body that is waterproof, runs android and can be replaced with a refurb'd unit for around $100 USD
I was nowhere near the water when it was accidentally crushed, but I did locate a service called icracked who will come to my home in MA, and replace the screen and plastic cover for $90 in 20 minutes.

I believe that's cheaper and more convenient than your service, and my phone runs INavx and Nobeltec Time Zero navigation apps which your phone can't.

Normally the iphone is fine in the Otterbox case and has taken several falls, but my Hasselblad camera came down and crushed it with a pointy corner inside the backpack. The Hasselblad is fine since the phone absorbed the impact.

Now I suppose you're going to tell me I should get a different camera?
Old 16-05-2017, 13:15   #27

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
I was nowhere near the water when it was accidentally crushed, but I did locate a service called icracked who will come to my home in MA, and replace the screen and plastic cover for $90 in 20 minutes.

I believe that's cheaper and more convenient than your service, and my phone runs INavx and Nobeltec Time Zero navigation apps which your phone can't.

Normally the iphone is fine in the Otterbox case and has taken several falls, but my Hasselblad camera came down and crushed it with a pointy corner inside the backpack. The Hasselblad is fine since the phone absorbed the impact.

No what I'm saying is we all don't "REQUIRE" what you think in order to be happy. For example. I would never use INavX for any real navigation. I tried it but hated the fact that you have to purchase the normally free NOAA charts. They seem to think this is normal. Later I found out that it was a bug in the version I happened to purchase! since then I've moved on to OpenCPN and much prefer it.

having said that iphones are still one of the most fragile smart phones on the market! even the old blackberries were far more durable.

back to the topic at hand... can the OP do it on the budget and other items he proposes
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 13:43   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
back to the topic at hand... can the OP do it on the budget and other items he proposes
No, according to the consensus among experienced cruisers.

You seem to be the only yes vote.
Old 16-05-2017, 14:13   #29

Boat: Vindo 45 34ft Swedish built boat

Well, don't forget if you are at all smart or handy do can always make some pocket change while out cruising. Lot's of things are out there. It's a different life, a lot of people like it.
ewitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 16:08   #30
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

So the op's monthly budget is $180.00?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal