Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09   #256

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Catamarans - Current Market Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Did you get those prices of the NADA?
Yes.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:09   #257
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yes.

I feel for you Jeff. Out of the kindness in my soul I could give you $112,000 for your fine Gemini.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15   #258

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I feel for you Jeff. Out of the kindness in my soul I could give you $112,000 for your fine Gemini.

No problem.

Come on down and pick it up in.......say.........5 years.
Old 10-09-2011, 14:55   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith View Post
Hi Dave
With regards to your lengthy reply...

I disagree with " I'd say good luck getting much higher than NADA if your a seller. While I'm sure it happens, for as long as you don't sell the boat yards are happy to at least have someone paying rent."
Hi Chris - good luck with your boat and most importantly have fun with it, that's what counts.

I'm not sure what you disagree with. I assume we are in agreement that many are sellers holding out for higher prices.

I didn't include your entire post for brevity, didn't analyze any prices. My intent was to conceded that some yachtworld 'sold' prices are truthful, but that others are fluff to convince potential buyers of supposed market prices. But the real question is, can anyone sell their cat today at what they paid, or 90%, or even just above NADA. Not what others are asking.

When there are sellers holding out for a higher price, it benefits the seller who does drop his price and makes the sale to the (only?) buyer who has the cash.

But where does that leave the sellers who are still left holding out?
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 18:08   #260

Boat: Looking for Cat. between 32-40ft to sail around the world From Florida startn 2012.

Why people don't take a 10% or 20% drop in selling beats me , they keep them up for sale for a year & longer. With very little interest due to over priced market,
Those who do have make a reduction get the money in the bank & have no fees to pay out
I would rather take a drop & get on with life & not get stuck in a market that is so up & down any way,
Plus it is still getting harder & harder to find or keep a job especially in USA from what I am told by people who live there.
Hopefully greed will relax & people will enjoy life & things instead of worrying constantly
welshdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 18:34   #261

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
So will you sell your boat at 10 to 20% to get the money in the bank?
I think the view that the prices on sold boat are artificially inflated to keep the market price up is wishful thinking.
In reality most smart brokers would like to get their vendors to lower their asking prices because they could sell more boats and make some money.
When you think about most sailing boat owners put a lot of thought and commitment into buying their boats.
You only have to view this forum to see this, there fore when it comes to selling your beloved boat you don't just give it away.
I also takes quite a long time to buy a boat, my last one took nearly two years.
So just for interests sake, how long did it take to buy your present boat or how long have you been looking for your next boat?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 19:29   #262

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
I also takes quite a long time to buy a boat, my last one took nearly two years.
So just for interests sake, how long did it take to buy your present boat or how long have you been looking for your next boat?
My boat took 5 years and 15000 in flights then I gave up and bought a day sailor till the kid leave home then ill start looking for a cat again, but thats now in about 10 years.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 19:56   #263

Boat: Looking for Cat. between 32-40ft to sail around the world From Florida startn 2012.

We have owned a few camper vans, & have had to take a drop in the last 2 by 10k on the first & 5k on the last one, Due to so many coming on the market for sale as the economy went bad & that led to people to leave NZ & head to Australia for work especially 2 years ago when the mines started booming again in west AU. This has led to way to many campers up for sale, I still look at campers for sale on trademe that were there 2 years ago when we first started to sell our camper, after no interest in the selling of ours we took a price drop/loss. In its valuation & what we had paid for it & done a refit. Only then We had a sale & that person had been watching it & others for 2 years.
It is the same for houses look at USA some are selling for half the valuation price.
I did read that some people expect to get more for the sale of a boat than what they payed for it may be 5 years ago, If a new Gemini can be had for 175k why pay 140k for one that is almost 7 to 10 years old ?? At that age they are just over priced. You can actually get a new one built in PNG for 100k au. but it has to be a 40ftr & you are expected to go there before they start to build them & they only build 3 or 4 a year.
There should be a market list price like a car listed market price things are of less value over years.
There are a number of boats in the med. now that have big price drops as they are not selling fast enough & people have no work so they have to sell cheaper as the benefit doesn't cover all bills as every thing is going up in price by more than inflation.
Old 10-09-2011, 23:01   #264

Yes I have to agree with you, I just looked at the cats for sale like I bought and their prices have definitely dropped in the last 6 months.
That said those boats were over priced and to some extent still are.
You can always tell what the market price for boats or anything is.
It's the price of the ones that are selling.
Most smart people will drop the advertised price gradually until they get a sale, so you can see it happen if you watch the adds.
I personally think it is rare that vendors will say "oh dear I've asked too much money here have the boat for 30% of what I was asking".
Sure this does happen, but not all the time like some people seem to think it does.
Old 10-09-2011, 23:34   #265

well what ever happens we arrive in LA on feb.7th for 1 week then over to Baltimore & Florida for 3 months & hope to find one some where along our trip. & if not UK for summer & look around Europe Good thing is we are cash byers so no worry on waiting for loans etc
Old 10-09-2011, 23:41   #266

As they say "cash is king", what are you looking for?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14   #267

Any Cat from 32 ft to 40ft that has solar panels, watermaker all the norm nav. equipment & is good in Blue water as well as costal so a PDQ,PROUT OR GEMINI & there are a few on the market around 100k to 135k but we have a budget of 115k so as long as we get a cat for 100k we can add the water maker as we need to get an air comp & dive cylinders. Just hope they are around in Feb
Old 11-09-2011, 01:24   #268

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Good luck.

You might be a bit optomistic at $100,000 though.

got to try however.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:37   #269

'well what ever happens we arrive in LA on feb.7th for 1 week then over to Baltimore & Florida for 3 months & hope to find one some where along our trip. & if not UK for summer & look around Europe Good thing is we are cash byers so no worry on waiting for loans etc'

If or when you look around Europe Sept/Oct is a better time as the charter season is just ending and you will have more options. At least that was for monohulls this year in Croatia/Greece/Italy. Also many private boats were leased which complicated the buying process. Good luck, hope you get the deal you want.
cheers
Denise
dmgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:47   #270

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Look forward to hearing about what you find out the real situation is.
Let us know what you get for a$100 k too that will be an eye opener
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote