Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 06:09   #1

Boat: SJ23 1988
How to Make the Best of a Bad Situation...

Ok, so plans are changing daily. I'm not in control of the plan or the work... not my boat.
I've offered to help.. months ago... and went to see and help this w/e.

Everything seems to be offering up hurdles for the owner. First it was the move... the mover had a stroke... new mover found but added 2 2weeks to the time table. Then the rigging needed a new piece from the bow sprit down to the water line/keel... as the orrigional was calculated to be to weak (still not fixed). Then the chain order... didn't go as planned, now maybe here by end of week... but .... I'm not going to list it all here, there is so much more.

Guess I should have gone to look a month ago myself rather than relying on the owner to tell me how it's going. I'm thinking rose colored glasses are involved.

My estimate now is that they are a month out from first sail.... alas she is drying fast on the hard and that will lead to more time in the water before first sail.

Great people, and the boat is going to be a beauty when finally done. But I can't keep sliding my vac schedule here at work... my managment is getting pissed and I'm running out of my window where by my work demands are managable if I'm gone. This will happen mid next week and with only a "Tentaive" in water day of this friday....

Looking for opinions as to how a skipper/owner would feel if, their crew told them they that they couldn't offer help at some point. My window for helping closes and it will be late summer before I can offer time again.

Thanks for your input.
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:35   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FxdGrMind View Post
Looking for opinions as to how a skipper/owner would feel if, their crew told them they that they couldn't offer help at some point.
The owner pays but paying doesn’t abrogate responsibility. Its still his boat and you have done a huge favor to him with your work and your time, energy and thought.

Just tell him you have to attend to other things already committed.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:59   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Yep, owners should know crew cannot be on eternal hold and have other obligations. I don't think it will not look poorly on your crewing resume if you bail due to boat delay and work schedule.
I highly recommend a more vigorous interview when next booking a crew job. Some questions (off the top of my head) and I am sure others here could add better input. #1 Sailing history- When was she last sailed? Last off shore sail? When was her last haul out? Does she need repairs? equipment list, if slim, can indicate a boat running on bare bones. Of course the owner can say anything (and will) but usually you can get hints if you just let them talk about the boat.
If you are looking for crewing jobs, I found family boats are the most reliable. A Boat with kids aboard are usually in good condition, have updated safety gear, and tend to have less risk taking behavior.
Schedules is the biggest challenge when crewing while also holding a "real job". I found that I need to book at least three weeks for a one week delivery due to weather, repair delays etc. Out of a hundred crew jobs I think I left port as planned maybe 30-40%. Also I have booked many crew jobs that never happened due to boat not ready, owner ran out of money, or changed mind on the time line.
Hang in there,
Erika
Old 07-06-2010, 07:39   #4

Thanks for the supportive replies. I guess, I plan too much...

I knew it had been over 5 years in the makeing. I guess hering the progress, I didn't realize the level of completion, as I thought it should have been much farther along. I didn't ask, I assumed that anchoring gear was already done (no issue)...

My fault as my tendency is to plan well in advance and not be held to supply schedules/issues. Being in the Aircraft industry, I am fully aware of downtime and the costs involved, where any delay costs "HUGE" $$$".

I should have known... I guess the owner wasn't the only person with rosey glasses on....
Old 07-06-2010, 07:53   #5

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Sometimes planing wont work.. here on the west coast at the present is a good example.. with the changing weather there hanst really been a good open window for heading offshore.. we'll be heading south with another boat in the fall but he wanted to get a jump on the trip and spend a couple months in the islands down south,,
Been waiting for the Pacific hi to set in for the last couple months..., looks like its on its way so he'll be leaving soon but he's been waiting.. sometimes planing wont work when cruising is involved........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 15:21   #6

Boat: Sundance 23
I'm seriously starting to rust, with all this rain.

Hope your plans come to fruition.
Old 10-06-2010, 15:46   #7

Boat: Tartan 37 - Sea Bungalow
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaBungalow
Plans

The only plans we've been able to make and KEEP are days we plan to do nothing. Plans/timelines and sailing/cruising don't seem to go too well together. When we bought our boat, we planned on 1 maybe 2 months in the yard getting a bottom job done. 1 year later we launched. Our story is on our blog - links to it in our signature below.
SeaBungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 15:54   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBungalow View Post
The only plans we've been able to make and KEEP are days we plan to do nothing. Plans/timelines and sailing/cruising don't seem to go too well together. When we bought our boat, we planned on 1 maybe 2 months in the yard getting a bottom job done. 1 year later we launched. Our story is on our blog - links to it in our signature below.

Just about Ditto

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 17:07   #9

Water logged... heck I'm starting to "Rot"...

As for planning.... Quote: Plans/timelines and sailing/cruising don't seem to go too well together.

Yea, Don't I know it! Hence my plans must include "Quitting work"!!!!

If I didn't have to work... Life would be so simple!!!

... they tell me... All in good time...

Cheers
Old 15-06-2010, 12:23   #10

Boat: Sundance 23
It would be awesome to be able to quit work. This kid can't, yet.