Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 12:03   #61

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: Catamaran 38-46 Foot Vs 50-60 foot

If you are going to debate or have an alternative opinion, go ahead, that's fair and reasonable... but don't attribute statements to me that I did not make.

I never said you can't sail a daggerboard cat around Cape Horn. I simply indicated that imo anyone who is aware of the dangers and is reasonably sane, wouldn't.

There are reasons why a sizeable number of folks advocate steel hulls for high latitude cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I guess the owner of the Catana 44 "Brumas Patagonia" didn't consult you before he sailed around the three capes at the age of 70.
And why can't you sail a daggerboard boat around Cape Horn?
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:16   #62
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
If you are going to debate or have an alternative opinion, go ahead, that's fair and reasonable... but don't attribute statements to me that I did not make.

I never said you can't sail a daggerboard cat around Cape Horn. I simply indicated that imo anyone who is aware of the dangers and is reasonably sane, wouldn't.

There are reasons why a sizeable number of folks advocate steel hulls for high latitude cruising
So what are the dangers of sailing a daggerboard cat around the cape vs. a mini keel cat? I'm pretty sure the daggerboard cat would be considered a better choice as you can raise the boards and be able to slide sideways in a breaking sea.
To me a steel boat is a true sinker, something I wouldn't be interested in.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 23:13   #63

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
So what are the dangers of sailing a daggerboard cat around the cape vs. a mini keel cat? I'm pretty sure the daggerboard cat would be considered a better choice as you can raise the boards and be able to slide sideways in a breaking sea.
To me a steel boat is a true sinker, something I wouldn't be interested in.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 20:01   #64

Boat: FP Belize 43

Hi..

I'm Another newbie to sailing.. We are also looking to buy a decent size cat (48 ft) to live aboard with kids and learn to handle / sail in warm tropical coastal waters off far north east australia.. Generally inner reef environment with ( supposedly) partially smooth waters.

I have experience on boats of all sizes ( 15 -50 metres) as an electrician/ engineer.. and have experienced oceans in extended extreme Weather conditions so I'm aware if what is possible to have thrown at you without much warning... I'm also happy to say that the joyful bliss of calm water and fair winds makes up for the rough times .

My research on looking for A boat ( which includes valued cruising veterans opinions) leads me to a junction the decision making process.. Start small and work your way up .. Or buy the boat you want and learn as you go?

The compromise is as always .. budget .. Money buys repairs and competent crew ... Experience buys you everything else ... Sometimes there is no substitute for either ..

I say go with your heart but use your head .. Choose wisely and enjoy the horizon coming at you .. Life is too short

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
wongai64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran