Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 20:07   #16

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
"If you'd left the "French"part out of it, then, yeah, you're just cheap. But slagging the french makes you a bigot. See the difference?"

Not at all. DL never said they were prejudiced toward French brokers in general, they just have a problem with a broker that is French. Had they said, "all French brokers over charge", you would have a point.

See the difference?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 20:19   #17

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
"If you'd left the "French"part out of it, then, yeah, you're just cheap. But slagging the french makes you a bigot. See the difference?"

Not at all. DL never said they were prejudiced toward French brokers in general, they just have a problem with a broker that is French. Had they said, "all French brokers over charge", you would have a point.

See the difference?
Good attempt- but if the problem is with the broker, then the fact that the broker is French wouldn't matter and the fact that the OP pointed out that the broker is French says it does matter, as does the OPs follow up post on the subject of dealing with the French, not dealing with brokers.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:32   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450
I thought all members had to be over 18.
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
... The Bobby's yards on the Dutch side are very reasonable. We have a cat (20' beam), hauled out in Philipsburg and was in the $200-$250 range ...
Bobby’s Marina @ St. Maarten

Boatyard Rates ➥ Boat Yard Rates - Bobby's Marina

ie: Haul & Launch 70 Ton Minimum $195

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18   #20

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
I used to hate the French (mainly because they're better looking, more stylish and have better food than us Brits) but now we seem to be going to share aircraft carriers so I've got to learn to love them

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 15:39   #21

Boat: Ross 650
Send a message via Skype™ to Geminiguy
Charter boat, what charter boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Thanks, it's a 39 foot cat and the vendor owns the yard which is probably the only facility available and 500 Euro is the going rate so I'll just have to wear it.
As for bigotry, build a bridge and get over it.
I mentioned I was having fun dealing with the French be cause they have different customs and attitudes to what I have been told to expect.
It is a challenge dealing with these people who answer emails when it suits them sometimes 2 weeks later and they make no compromises.
I deal with French and other nationalities in my work and knowing what their customs and values are very important in establishing an effective working relationship.
Different people and cultures make this world such a great place to be in.
Maybe Aussies are tight with their money but that might be the reason we are now in a position to buy boats at discount prices.
Hi Dragon Lady,

What sort of cat is it that you're hauling out? I'm in the market for something in the 38' to 44' range also because of the strength of the Aussie dollar. Are you planning on sailing the boat back to Aus yourself?

By the way, I didn't read any bigotry into what you said but then maybe some people are more sensitive about their origins than us Aussies who are generally happy to have a laugh at our own expense. I also don't see any issues with questioning the pricing of a service or product; I know I do, regularly. Personally, I can't afford to throw money away unnecessarily and know we often have to pay artifically inflated prices because of those who do.

Some years ago I spent some time in France and always found the French to be wonderfully helpful and friendly. As for the email delays etc. I don't think that's exclusive to the French. I've just received an email from a broker who, rather than find out some information for me advised me to just get the boat hauled and surveyed!

I advised him that if I did that at this stage of my search I'd be hauling half of the boats on the market!

Anyway, as I think you mentioned, it's the differences in all of us that makes the world so interesting.
Ciao.
Geminiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 15:45   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
I used to hate the French (mainly because they're better looking, more stylish and have better food than us Brits) but now we seem to be going to share aircraft carriers so I've got to learn to love them
and also its means youre dumping the S/VTOL F35 varient of the JSF, pity that

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 15:38   #23

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Hi all, I'm dealing with a charter company not a broker.
They appear to operate under different rules to what seems to be the accepted norm in the boating industry.
There has been some work carried out on the hulls and I am trying to get some more information on the extent of the rework.
I have asked for a written copy of the company's policy and the factory warranty that they are claiming the boat will be sold with.
To date they have sent me nice pics of the finished work and it looks nice but what was done underneath remains a mystery.
I’m sure patient persistence will get me through this.
The purpose of this post was to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and could give me some advice.
As for buying a boat and taking it back to Australia I suggest you check out the “importing a boat to Australia” thread it is full of good information.
Just be aware that the Australian cat market prices look like they are starting to drop, possibly due to people bringing in cheaper boats from OS.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 17:02   #24

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
I guess you are at their mercy, but for a point of reference I had a Lagoon 35ccc "short hauled" (left in the sling) for a survey in October 2006 in Rock Hall, MD for $200 or $250 US.

Surveys in Annapolis and Seattle were $20/ft US in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Marshall
Old 14-11-2010, 18:15   #25

Boat: deboated
Ontario is on the French side of Canada is it not so that may be the reason for the slagging. I guess if someone was dealing with an Australian vendor/broker/yard according to our Canadian friend you would be prejudiced against Australians. Now if that was the case I would have to get a group of ex convicts together - sorry Australians and have a serious talk with said French colonials, probably at the nearest watering hole (bar).
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2010, 23:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
I guess you are at their mercy, but for a point of reference I had a Lagoon 35ccc "short hauled" (left in the sling) for a survey in October 2006 in Rock Hall, MD for $200 or $250 US.

Surveys in Annapolis and Seattle were $20/ft US in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Marshall
Yes it looks like they are going to be charging me over double the going rate in the cheaper territories but at least it's only a one off cost.

Does anyone know if you can get a VAT refund from a private French flagged boat if you export it?
I believe the French government is very good at supporting exports but I don't know if this applies to second hand privately own goods.
Old 28-11-2010, 19:30   #27

I've now been quoted 200 euros for an hour inspection haul out which sounds a lot more resonable. As I said, dealing with these guys is a lot of fun, if the deal goes through I'm hope I can have a few rums and a good laugh with these guys.
It is so different not having a broker pushing the deal along, so slowly slowly catchy monkey.
Old 29-11-2010, 06:49   #28

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
DragonLady,
Good luck with your haul and inspection/survey.

Hope it is the boat you have been looking for.

Marshall
Old 29-11-2010, 15:28   #29

Thanks so do I, as the price is not negotiable any defects found will have to be acceptable to me if the company doesn't aggree to fix them.
Old 29-11-2010, 17:15   #30

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Thanks so do I, as the price is not negotiable any defects found will have to be acceptable to me if the company doesn't aggree to fix them.

It sounds like you have 400.00 toward repairs needed - if any.

Also sounds like you may be a happy new owner soon too.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, haul out