Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2019, 19:31   #1

Buying an Ex Charter Catamaran

I would like to get your thoughts on buying an ex charter catamaran. We are looking at an ex Moorings Cat out of The Seychelles that was in charter for five years and then bought by a couple who have had it now for two years. The boat is in great condition with about 3400 hrs on the motors. Just not 100% sure about it because of it being ex charter . Great to get your opinion - thanks
kjbas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 04:55   #2

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Buying an Ex Charter Catamaran

Charter boats get more abuse, sometimes unnoticed or unreported. Inspect it (with a buyer’s broker if you have one), have it surveyed (boat, rigging survey, and mechanical with oil analysis). There are lots of resources to help you inspect the boat. Here’s a fellow that published after the fact, from which you can take some helpful hints: S/V LUX: Things We Wish We Had Found in Survey

If the boat was anywhere near the storms I’d ask about damage.
Sometimes things are not what they seem.

Good luck!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 17:47   #3

Boat: Leopard 38 Catamaran

We bought a Leopard 38 out of Moorings St. Martin 2 years ago. No regrets, she's in great shape. Would recommend good survey by non affiliated surveyor, if that's possible. Best of luck!
louielouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 21:48   #4

Chatted with a few owners and brokers in Miami. The general consensus was that most wear and tear on chartered boats is cosmetic and high hours on motors. Usually, clients can’t take the boats out in crappy conditions to beat them up and most don’t really know how to sail anyway, so the motors get used a ton (running the AC, recharging batteries, etc).

Sounded like there could be concerns about the engines, generator, and water maker being items for replacement. Then, depending upon wear, maybe some flooring, cabinets, etc that need refitting. But, they didnt have too many concerns about the actual skeleton of chartered boats. Anything big would certainly be found by a competent surveyor.
Wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 22:53   #5

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I bought my L40 from moorings in the Seychelles in 2015 and still am happy with the purchase. If it looks clean inside it’s been looked after. I found the moorings Manager in Seychelles a great guy to deal with during my purchase and he resolved all the things I wanted sorted.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 23:11   #6

Boat: currently boatless

We bought an ex charter Lagoon 410 from Sunsail in Australia. Yep there was work to do but we also bought at the right price. Factored in new motors etc and extras and had a ball on the boat. It was only that the bedding configuration and small head/showers that persuaded us to upgrade to a larger cat. Normally we would not have been able to afford to buy a cat of this size but by buying ex charter we were able to get crusing and never looked back. Kept it for four years.
Highly recomend survey, mechanical and rig inspection not only for insurance purposes but your own peace of mind.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 00:00   #7

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Spend any amount of time in an area where charter boats are, observe, listen to the afternoon scheds and be prepared to be horrified and amused.

All you need to rent one is a pulse and a credit card, actual skills are totally optional.

Glad none of them were my boats.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 00:26   #8

Hi ozsailor thanks for your input . Do you have a fly bridge now and how was it to get used to . There are a couple of 440s for sale here in Pittwater Sydney that are lovely boats but not sure about the flybridge
Old 01-03-2019, 00:29   #9

Hi MikeFergie that’s good to know because the boat we are looking at is from the same place then bought by a couple and sailed to Australia and they have had it a couple of years and have really looked after it and replaced a lot of equipment
Old 01-03-2019, 04:12   #10

Boat: currently boatless

I was wary of the flybridge on any sailing cat but having sailed on a friends L450 most of my concerns disappeared. The 440 is a big step up from the 410 but space and comfort wise it was a no brainer. We have nearly had our boat for a year now and I am more then happy with our purchase. Our shakedown cruise was from the Gold Coast to the the Palm Island Group just south of Hinchinbrook Island in FNQ then the return trip to Lake Macquarie.
We were out in all weather and the boat performed flawlessly. Still getting used to the different setups but we were out in up to 30 knots last weekend and the boat handles these conditions very very well. The only downside is the restricted vision when reversing into a pen but this is overcome with the installation of cameras hooked up to the MFD. Now I am accumstomed to the boat I rarely use the camera.

Greg H
L440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:45   #11

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Our cat had been in charter, and the main consequence was very tired sails and autopilot which have been replaced. Due to the boat's own age - now 16 years - the plotter and instruments were also due for replacement (wind instrument crumbled, depth sounder failed, axle of speed sensor seized).

My biggest concern buying an ex charter cat would be the expense or practicality of deleting a few heads to obtain more living space. I have seen 4 cabin / 4 head designs which must have been absurd even for the charterers.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svan View Post
Our cat had been in charter, and the main consequence was very tired sails and autopilot which have been replaced. Due to the boat's own age - now 16 years - the plotter and instruments were also due for replacement (wind instrument crumbled, depth sounder failed, axle of speed sensor seized).

My biggest concern buying an ex charter cat would be the expense or practicality of deleting a few heads to obtain more living space. I have seen 4 cabin / 4 head designs which must have been absurd even for the charterers.
We personally don't like 4 head cats at all....TWO is more than enough for us.

We MUCH preferred having an OV hull with a separate shower on a smaller cat, than the last much larger 4 head cat we sailed. YMMV
Old 01-03-2019, 08:10   #13

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Also, ex charter cats are not the bargain they once were, much of the fleet at the VI and St Maarten took it bad in those hurricanes, drying up supply.

The OP's boat will have had all the obvious stuff done in its 2 years with the current owners. A very attentive survey with attention to the standing rigging would be smart.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52   #14

Hi Sven yes a survey is a must. It’s an owners version and the current owners have replaced various things. Just have to work out the right price to pay for it now !

Tags
buying, catamaran, charter