Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 21:13   #16

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Re: Boat Too Big

You can afford a boat that big on a Cop ? Fireman? salary? What is it you do that your done in 20? Sweet if your done at forty something and have that kind of coin. You better learn how to sail.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:14   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
My guess is she will have you trained in no time. As you know in your profession, you don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need one if your going to skydive twice. I stole that from someone here.
Jumping from an airplane is not dangerous. It is the sudden stop at the end that will hurt you.
CPTRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
You can afford a boat that big on a Cop ? Fireman? salary? What is it you do that your done in 20? Sweet if your done at forty something and have that kind of coin. You better learn how to sail.

I am Army and have a sweet drug smuggling ring going on.
Old 13-01-2012, 21:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTRice View Post
I am Army and have a sweet drug smuggling ring going on.

Just messing with you. I am Army, but started a pretty successful side business several years ago. I kept doing the Army thing because it is fun.
Old 13-01-2012, 21:20   #20

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

Well if you are army thanks for your service. My Dad is 85 and was in Japan and my Uncle took two in the leg in the Buldge. So sincere thanks for letting the rest of us live free.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:22   #21

Boat: Maine Cat 41

If she knows what she's doing, then let her decide what is too big and what is not. If you're still not quite sure, join her in the Carribean for a week on a similar sized catamaran charter and sit back with an adult beverage while she does it all. If she still wants a boat that size....... then just write the check!
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:48   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

My only experience of cats was on a Hobbie 16. Nice boat, easy to sail. Some suggestions that swimming ability is necessary. Really needs two crew.

If you can find one what about a Hobbie 14? Nice single handed boat. Most of what you'd learn would be handy on a bigger cat. A few lessons could be a good idea.

So, why not bite the bullet, take a good swig of the rum, and join your wife on a big, comfortable cat?

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 22:18   #23

I just called the wife. We are actually going a little smaller. She was in fact going that big in a desperate attempt to get me aboard. We are going to go with what she really wanted all along. She wants a Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36. She will be back in SC next week and we will get started.
Old 13-01-2012, 22:25   #24

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

+1
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 22:34   #25

Quote:
I just called the wife. We are actually going a little smaller. She was in fact going that big in a desperate attempt to get me aboard. We are going to go with what she really wanted all along. She wants a Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36. She will be back in SC next week and we will get started.
I work as a charter captain onboard a FP Tabago 35. Great boat, and much easier to handle than a 45+. I think you'll like it a lot if you spend some time on one. Personally I prefer monohulls myself, but catamarans are a bit like a floating condo. Hard to beat for amenities and space.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 22:47   #26

She did agree to let me figure out a way to put a kegerator in so all is well.
Old 13-01-2012, 23:28   #27

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

YES or NO Can this be done SOLO
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 23:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
If she knows what she's doing, then let her decide what is too big and what is not. If you're still not quite sure, join her in the Carribean for a week on a similar sized catamaran charter and sit back with an adult beverage while she does it all. If she still wants a boat that size....... then just write the check!
Exactly. She's an experienced sailor, she'll have more of an idea of what she's capable of than anyone on an internet forum will.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 00:27   #29

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
After reading some on here about these boats I am thinking you might be on to something here. So would it be reasonable to have some inexperienced hack help out on the boat. Or would I just be more of a hinderance.

I really do want to share her passion, but it just scares the hell out of me. I know it is pretty pathetic and if any of my guys on the team hear about this I am through.

If anyone said the ocean did not "scare" them in one way or another at some time they are liars. Likewise, if your wife is as experienced as you note, other than mechanical breakdowns, the biggest things to be worried about on a big cat should be covered by insurance!

Then, if she is thinking of buying such a big and stable boat with your interests in mind, the best thing you can do is get out there and give it a go. I am sure that your insecurities will fade away and you will gain more confidence as you amass hours at sea. It will also not take you too long to realize how comfortable those big cats are to spend time aboard.
Old 14-01-2012, 00:31   #30

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
I am Army...
I'm Army too (6yrs left to retire). Some active and many retired military around here. I'm also Airborne and love jumping. Good luck on the sailing. I've only gone once and had a blast. Can't wait to get my own. The heel of the boat isn't really all that bad. I've been on planes getting ready for a jump that shook a lot that made me more nervous than a boat heeling.

Good luck to you and welcome to the board. Looking forward to seeing how your adventure goes.

Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote