Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 15:03   #91

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Personally, in modern designs, I think Manta had it right
It is a stretch to call the Manta a modern design! It certainly remains a modern execution (if not the standard to reach for), but it is an old design. A Schionning Waterline or one of these Designs - FreeFlow 46 done with Manta execution would bring me to tears...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 15:09   #92

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
It is a stretch to call the Manta a modern design! It certainly remains a modern execution (if not the standard to reach for), but it is an old design. A Schionning Waterline or one of these Designs - FreeFlow 46 done with Manta execution would bring me to tears...

Mark
Nice.

When I get that kind of money I want an A-frame.
Old 04-02-2012, 15:10   #93

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I agree with ColemJ about the load carrying capacity of Catanas but I said that already. As for the Antares let's review the title of this thread. If you want to look at slim fast hulls with poor load carrying capacity then look at Outremer. And I like Outremer. I still think the best boat for the OP would be a still undiscussed boat. Did Imagine2frolics boat have boards?
Old 04-02-2012, 15:17   #94

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!

Quote:

I am currently staring right at a Catana 431 and 471, and recently spent a lot of time staring at an Antares and the Catana has wider hulls - most noticeably the sterns.

Disclosure: I love the Antares and Catana 431/471.

Mark
Agree, but those are not the Catana's they will be looking at. Within their budget they will have to look at the smaller models. Antares will be out of reach as well.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 15:21   #95

Boat: Tartan 37

I can't speak to the technical aspects that you're discussing regarding loads. However, I did go look at Antares and they are out of the budget.

Thanks All!

Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 15:45   #96

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
I can't speak to the technical aspects that you're discussing regarding loads. However, I did go look at Antares and they are out of the budget.

Thanks All!

Darby
I hate to say this but I think a quality catamaran that will meet and satisfy your needs will be out of reach. Maybe a good proven mono will be a better option than a compromised catamaran. The really important thing is to get underway, spend to much time saving and you might never leave.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 18:43   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
I hate to say this but I think a quality catamaran that will meet and satisfy your needs will be out of reach. Maybe a good proven mono will be a better option than a compromised catamaran. The really important thing is to get underway, spend to much time saving and you might never leave.
Yes, most of us have been expressing this same sentiment in different ways. Given the budget, the choices are to stay with the current mono, which is a damn fine cruising boat. Get a different "go fast upwind machine" mono, or go with a catamaran that isn't a rocket upwind, but a great cruising platform nonetheless.

If going upwind was my most important criteria and how I thought I would cruise, I would go with a mono. Certainly, there are cats that will eat mono's lunches upwind, but given any sea state, they are not fun to drive that way for any longer than it takes to pass the mono.

Well, maybe passing the next one in line also. But not longer than that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 04-02-2012, 18:55   #98

And I forgot to mention that most of the upwind machine monos are going to be just as uncomfortable doing so as in a catamaran. If not more so given the heeling and pounding.

My bet is that whatever you decide on, you will look back at this point after your first year of cruising and think how funny it was that "fast upwind performance" was on the top of your criteria list.

Mark

Old 04-02-2012, 19:13   #99

Boat: Tartan 37

All points well taken and much appreciated. I think I should have entitled my thread ...... Best Blue Water Cat that Can Sail Upwind Should The Need Arise? LOL

As previously stated, we really don't want to sail upwind, however the wind is not always in our favor. Thus, the question regarding upwind. You all have given us great advice. I realize the budget is a constraint at this time and we will not let that hold us back from sailing. We are off to Mexico in April.

We are starting the research process now and know we want to buy a pre-owned cat and came in with a predisposed preference for Catana. I think given all we've read here, Catana is still in first place.

If we don't win the Florida Powerball tonight, we might need to rob a bank. LOL

Thank you all -- you are the best!
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 20:50   #100
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I agree with ColemJ about the load carrying capacity of Catanas but I said that already. As for the Antares let's review the title of this thread. If you want to look at slim fast hulls with poor load carrying capacity then look at Outremer. And I like Outremer. I still think the best boat for the OP would be a still undiscussed boat. Did Imagine2frolics boat have boards?
Darby, you really should look into I2F's boat. It should be in your price range. He was a regular poster here for many years and it was a good design. At least he bragged about it enough There where a lot of features I personally liked.

Good suggestion Sand Crab.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:15   #101
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Last night we had a small get together in our marina. It started on a friend's monohull, a Morgan 36' center cockpit. A nice roomy boat. By 9:30PM our group had increased to 10 people (something about an ice chest full of beer). There simply wasn't room on this boat and the whole affair had to be moved to my boat, a 27' Catamaran where we remained til the wee hours (yes, my head hurts this morning).

Never forget the difference in boat design and that catamarans have 50% more room than a mono of the same LOA. When it's all said and done, they are just so much more comfortable. Which brings me to the very last point. That is to remind your husband that when you're happy ... everyone's happy.

The trick is to find a catamaran that won't break the bank. When you have some time, check out the For Sale by owner Cruising Catamaran listings in the link in my signature.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50   #102

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Dear Darby,'
I think you are focusing way too much on the capacity of going upwind, it seems that even the best cat (within your budget... and mine) will not keep up to your mate's expectation, i have owned 7 mono and now on a cat for 4 years and will never go back to a mono, they are missing a hull you know... the freeflowing between cockpit and saloon is unbeatable (the Freeflow design is not by the way) the possibilty of sitting in the saloon or cockpit no matter what the weather and enjoy a great view, the privacy of your own hull for you and your guests, the ease of access to tihe water, the uninterrupted vue even with the dinghy up... did i mention no healing? Move over to the bright side... you will never regret it
Old 05-02-2012, 07:43   #103

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Fidji, 42

Most cats don't sail well upwind due to their fully battened main that can't be sheeted flat and their small jib. However, with the jib furled they make great motorsailors. Under power they can 'make their own wind' and pick up an extra knot or two. I've owned my 42' by 21' Fountain Pajot for eighteen years and if I had to do it all over again I would buy the same boat. It is currently for sale on cruisersforum.com
Caribsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsailor View Post
Most cats don't sail well upwind due to their fully battened main that can't be sheeted flat and their small jib.
What???? This makes no sense at all.

Mark

Old 05-02-2012, 07:57   #105

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
What???? This makes no sense at all.

Mark
Mark,
Don't feel bad.
I did not get it either.