Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13   #106
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar

Mark,
Don't feel bad.
I did not get it either.
I to was thinking the exact opposite.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:23   #107

I was surprised to see that no one mentioned the leopards. I own a leopard 43 and have found it to be an excellent boat. My cat experience is limited to having only sailed this one with an occasional excursion to a Privilege or Foutaine Pajot.
I am fairly convinced that VMG on my cat is very equivalent to VMG on most cruising monohulls.
My two cents.
mmichaelbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:34   #108

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmichaelbrown View Post
I was surprised to see that no one mentioned the leopards. I own a leopard 43 and have found it to be an excellent boat. My cat experience is limited to having only sailed this one with an occasional excursion to a Privilege or Foutaine Pajot.
I am fairly convinced that VMG on my cat is very equivalent to VMG on most cruising monohulls.
My two cents.
This thread topic was pretty specific about cats with daggerboards, excellent upwind performance and $200k. The Leopard is neither, and I am not disparaging it in any way. Lagoons are neither, FP are neither, Manta is neither, Privilege, etc, etc.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44   #109

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Darby, you really should look into I2F's boat. It should be in your price range. He was a regular poster here for many years and it was a good design. At least he bragged about it enough There where a lot of features I personally liked.

Good suggestion Sand Crab.

Thanks David. I have emailed John (I2F) and a couple of others here on CF, who apparently know him, to see if we can contact him. No updates yet. I hope all is well with he and his wife.

Thanks,
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Last night we had a small get together in our marina. It started on a friend's monohull, a Morgan 36' center cockpit. A nice roomy boat. By 9:30PM our group had increased to 10 people (something about an ice chest full of beer). There simply wasn't room on this boat and the whole affair had to be moved to my boat, a 27' Catamaran where we remained til the wee hours (yes, my head hurts this morning).

Never forget the difference in boat design and that catamarans have 50% more room than a mono of the same LOA. When it's all said and done, they are just so much more comfortable. Which brings me to the very last point. That is to remind your husband that when you're happy ... everyone's happy.

The trick is to find a catamaran that won't break the bank. When you have some time, check out the For Sale by owner Cruising Catamaran listings in the link in my signature.

Thanks! I have been on that site and I like it very much. I will keep checking in as we get closer to buying. We just finished the house remodel in the fall, so now Vanora is getting our attention. Just finished the brightwork and now re-upholstering, new life lines, polishing the interior teak, etc... We want to have her "tip-top" before we go to Mexico in April. She is a classic beauty and she handles great.

Timeline to purchase a CAT? 10-24 months, it depends upon the deals we come upon and if the economy continues to recover. We can only hope.

Thank you again!
Darby
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj

This thread topic was pretty specific about cats with daggerboards, excellent upwind performance and $200k. The Leopard is neither, and I am not disparaging it in any way. Lagoons are neither, FP are neither, Manta is neither, Privilege, etc, etc.

Mark
I believe if you read the thread carefully the real question was upwind performance with a prejudice expressed by Darby that this would probably be a dagger board boat.
mmichaelbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelhhhebert View Post
Dear Darby,'
I think you are focusing way too much on the capacity of going upwind, it seems that even the best cat (within your budget... and mine) will not keep up to your mate's expectation, i have owned 7 mono and now on a cat for 4 years and will never go back to a mono, they are missing a hull you know... the freeflowing between cockpit and saloon is unbeatable (the Freeflow design is not by the way) the possibilty of sitting in the saloon or cockpit no matter what the weather and enjoy a great view, the privacy of your own hull for you and your guests, the ease of access to tihe water, the uninterrupted vue even with the dinghy up... did i mention no healing? Move over to the bright side... you will never regret it

I love to hear your description of life aboard a CAT -- thank you. I think it will be great for life cruising and living aboard.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05   #113

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

True, particularly blue water voyaging you plan your route to suite boat, weather, conditions, crew etc.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
SandCrab ..... I agree with you and Jeannius .... there will have to be a bimini over the helm! We have a bimini and a dodger on our Tartan and in Florida, the bimini stays up all the time.

If you can figure out how to set up a bimini [and a dodger?] over Catana's steering stations, I would be very interested to see your solution. We could not find a way to install something stable and aesthetically pleasing, so we took Catana out of our short list.

Having looked in detail at Catana and Outremer, we liked Outremer more for the money. Plus, you can find Outremers with a single steering station under the cockpit bimini

Just my 2 cents...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48   #115

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The only canopys, biminis or whatchamacallits over the Catanas helms were on the one off Catana 90. Yes, I heard about the issues with this one. If you Google image Catana 90 you can find more pics. There are better ones but they are protected so I couldn't paste them here. BTW The canopy doohickies pivot for good sun protection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catana 90.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	36999  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49   #116

Boat: too many

Darby,

Have you given any thought to having a larger cruising kitty and smaller cat? I'm leaning towards a PDQ 36 for many reasons, but one is I like a full chart size nav table, and every cat that offers that is a lot bigger than my needs. The PDQ, besides being a fast boat has a fold down nav table in the hull.

Going to a cat this small is just a thought, but they are very well built (from what I have heard) and run $100K~$150K range.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:58   #117

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The only canopys, biminis or whatchamacallits over the Catanas helms were on the one off Catana 90. Yes, I heard about the issues with this one. If you Google image Catana 90 you can find more pics. There are better ones but they are protected so I couldn't paste them here. BTW The canopy doohickies pivot for good sun protection.
I have seen similar biminis on the Catana 401, 431 and Phisa 42 (same boat as Catana 401). They are, at best, minimal shade, and only with the sun directly overhead.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash-boat-04.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	37006  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06   #118

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

My bet is that whatever you decide on, you will look back at this point after your first year of cruising and think how funny it was that "fast upwind performance" was on the top of your criteria list.

Mark
Agreed.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10   #119

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post

As previously stated, we really don't want to sail upwind, however the wind is not always in our favor. Thus, the question regarding upwind.
Thank you all -- you are the best!
Darby
Then you just motorsail.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:20   #120

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
My bet is that whatever you decide on, you will look back at this point after your first year of cruising and think how funny it was that "fast upwind performance" was on the top of your criteria list.

Mark
Agreed X2
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water