Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2021, 01:11   #1

Best Reviews on YouTube.

Hi all
Currently in market for cruising catamaran for couple. I'm looking on YouTube for reviews, seems the main reviews are by people who don't have a catamaran but predominantly sail monos?
Are their YouTube reviews out there by experienced catamaran owners you would recommend?

Cheers
manno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 02:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Best Reviews on YouTube.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, manno.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 03:38   #3

The O’Kelleys did a nice review a month ago or so on a Balance 526, also discussed what great features you’d want to consider on a boat.

I do find it interesting the number of YouTuber’s that started in a monohull and switched to a catamaran. I can think of 7 without trying too hard.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 04:03   #4

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Ruby Rose did 10 reviews of boats recently. They also switched from a mono to a new Seawind 1370 which is still being built. They have been full time sailing for about 7 years now so are pretty competent about boat life.

And who were that other couple that actually contracted a few boats before rejecting them for various reasons. They spent a few bucks on that "adventure in buying". Maybe someone can jog my memory?
Old 25-07-2021, 04:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
Hi all
Currently in market for cruising catamaran for couple. I'm looking on YouTube for reviews, seems the main reviews are by people who don't have a catamaran but predominantly sail monos?
Are their YouTube reviews out there by experienced catamaran owners you would recommend?

Cheers

Just a word of warning, be careful with "reviews" from the internet / youtube. I know, this should go without saying but still...

Some (most?) of those people will say and do whatever is necessary to get some sort of return or financial gain. Regardless if the information they are conveying is accurate or even true.

We did all the internet research we could do when we were in the market. While doing our own independent research, we discovered that what was conveyed by some was less than accurate. One channel in particular blatantly lied about some cat reviews. A few months after this, they subsequently announced they were getting a particular boat which shed light on their previous reviews of the "competition". They never disclosed any financial gain from that deal but it became pretty clear later on that they did indeed have a horse in that race.

Caveat emptor manno!
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 04:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Ruby Rose did 10 reviews of boats recently. They also switched from a mono to a new Seawind 1370 which is still being built. They have been full time sailing for about 7 years now so are pretty competent about boat life.

And who were that other couple that actually contracted a few boats before rejecting them for various reasons. They spent a few bucks on that "adventure in buying". Maybe someone can jog my memory?
This may have been GTFO channel, they ended up contracting a new Balance 482, which will be done I think in early 2023, which seems like an excellent choice.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 09:08   #7

Many specific boat reviews are out there and usually not totally objective for obvious reasons - and some are upfront about that. The "lifestyle" you tubers reveal many of the pros and cons of their boats and can be very helpful in narrowing down your search. As mentioned by one reply - the O'Kellys have reviewed some boats, posted about their own adventures - and ran a breakdown of how much they spent and on what to convert their charter cat to a cruising cat. Sailing Zatara posts as they roam in a 58 ft? privilege. Sailing Kiwis. Gone with the Wynns. Sailing Vagabonde. Watching people deal with life on their boat every day highlights many aspects of the boat they are on. Anyway - best of luck!
celle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 10:08   #8

Who's GTFO?
Old 25-07-2021, 11:00   #9

Boat: Leopard 45

I agree with the others who say a review can be biased or bought. It's going to be hard to find an unbiased review. I went to the Miami boat show three years ago in search of my second catamaran and for various reasons choose a Leopard 45. It has its limitations, but for the value I have been very pleased with it. You can check out several types of catamaran on u-tube channels. It's a good study in those who have chosen cats over monos and how they are doing. I think all the catamarans you see or review have compromises. It depends a great deal on what your needs are. For me, I am at anchor 95% of the time, so speed is not so much an issue as livability.
Cheers and best of luck with your decision.
jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 11:41   #10

I found it. I hadn't seen this channel before.
Old 25-07-2021, 11:43   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best Reviews on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/zz8wBICiLD8

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 14:53   #12
lyl

check out Tula's Endless Summer on youtube. They had sailed a catamaran for a long while, and now they are waiting for their Seawind. A lot of real life experience - fun and informative.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 15:22   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Not a promo? You could have fooled me.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 15:42   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Keep in mind you tube stars make money from hits and magazines get paid by advertisers. Also no manufacturer is going to give a you tube star a $1.5M yacht to review. Generally, it is rare you will see a truly negative review. Most will simply be ‘not positive’.

Even delivery captains are not the best source. We move boats that have been used and abused.

IMHO, one of the best indicators of value is residual value. Look at the price of 10 year old vessels.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 15:58   #15

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44 Catamaran

Here’s a good couples video comparison and contrast review on four different Leopard catamarans. https://youtu.be/av6Ew5j4Etc

Fear is the Mind-Killer - Elon Musk
SV Blown Away is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews