Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2023, 18:12   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410
Beaufort NC to Bimini in april

Hi, I am currently planning to sail from Beaufort to Bimini the first week of April. I want to go nonstop on the outside on my lagoon 410. It's a Very well equipped boat and wanted to get some info from others who have made the trip south on the outside. Navionics shows a straight shot to the edge of grand Bahama then a course change from there to Bimini. Not sure if I will be fighting the current the whole way. Any info would be appreciated

Rich.
Richardw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 13:29   #2

Boat: Catana 42
Re: Beaufort NC to Bimini in april

I would do a straight shot to Canaveral then hug the Florida coast till Bimini then cut straight across the gulf stream. That will keep you out of the stream for the most part. The other option is to go due E to cross the stream then head south. In April you will be having fronts come through every three days or so, which will make it tough to get all the way there with a good weather window. I made it to St Aug in less than 48 hours in a Catana 42, so you are looking at a 4 day trip if the weather holds.
eddy52257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 16:52   #3

Thanks for the recommendation. In 2020 I sailed north from key largo to NJ. We were outside the whole way but had the current in our favor. Now I’m planning to go back to the keys with a stop in Bimini. But now I’m thinking maybe waiting to visit Bimini for another time and just go straight to islamorada. I have been trying to find data on the prevailing spring wind between NC and FL. Also where the edges of the Gulf Stream are.

Thanks. Rich
Old 05-01-2023, 17:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

As above, make for CC, then hug the coast ( 1/2 mile or less) till you get to S. Florida. This will keep you out of the stream. Once in S. Fla, pick your spot for a jump off to Bimini.

My question...why Bimini as your first stop???
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 19:22   #5

I just thought it would be nice to spend a night or two there before we went on to islamorada.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardw View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. In 2020 I sailed north from key largo to NJ. We were outside the whole way but had the current in our favor. Now I’m planning to go back to the keys with a stop in Bimini. But now I’m thinking maybe waiting to visit Bimini for another time and just go straight to islamorada. I have been trying to find data on the prevailing spring wind between NC and FL. Also where the edges of the Gulf Stream are.

Thanks. Rich
For a good idea of the gulf stream I use Windy, you can add ocean currents on the right side and it will show you the stream. Prevailing winds are going to switch between NE and SE-SW for the most part, and it will switch back and forth depending on the fronts. That is an active time of year, so getting a long weather window is tough.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Beaufort to St Augustine. Get into 80' of water St Augustine to Cape then straight to Ft. Pierce. Ft Pierce is a good spot to rest.

If going the Nassau, out islands, you could cross at Cape Canaveral or even ST. Augustine.

But for Bimini I would prefer to go south along the FL coast and then go straight across. Ft Pierce, Lake Worth inlet (West Palm), Everglades (FLL) and Government Cut (MIA) are all fairly easy to get in and out. All have anchorages to wait out a cold front.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Well, I love the Fla. Keys as much as anyone, but hell, if I were to make to Bimini, I'd just keep going to the Exuma's..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:26   #9

Thank for all the great info. If I had the time i would for sure explore more of the islands . Founders park in islamorada will be where i will be keeping the boat for awhile and hope to do as much sailing as possible while its there.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:40   #10

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Well, I love the Fla. Keys as much as anyone, but hell, if I were to make to Bimini, I'd just keep going to the Exuma's..
=======================================
interested on your opinion.

OP mentions leaving Beaufort, your question re Bimini is the same question I have, since I contemplate leaving from either Beaufort or Charleston.

On sailing outside the stream seems a more straight course aiming for at least
Great Abacos, even Eleuthera?

Will give a possibility to make some easting gains? to further sailing the rest of the islands?

thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
=======================================
interested on your opinion.

OP mentions leaving Beaufort, your question re Bimini is the same question I have, since I contemplate leaving from either Beaufort or Charleston.

On sailing outside the stream seems a more straight course aiming for at least
Great Abacos, even Eleuthera?

Will give a possibility to make some easting gains? to further sailing the rest of the islands?

thanks
It is pretty direct from Beaufort, CHS is a bit of a detour and there isn't much in the way of anchorage there. Beaufort has a nice dinghy dock, convenient laundry, public restrooms and a Ace Hardware and Piggly Wiggly within easy walking distance.

You have to go so far out to get around Cape Fear it makes sense to shoot straight down to FL instead of half a day back in to CHS. Again, weather windows can be short that time of year, so having bail outs along the way is a nice option.

If going to Eleuthera then it makes sense to run straight down, but again you are looking at 4 days and the weather that time of year is ???? Eleuthera is our favorite island in the Bahamas because of the people. The sail over to Exumas is an easy day trip from there.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy52257 View Post
If going to Eleuthera then it makes sense to run straight down, but again you are looking at 4 days and the weather that time of year is ????[/SIZE][/B] Eleuthera is our favorite island in the Bahamas because of the people. The sail over to Exumas is an easy day trip from there.
===========================
missed the April part on the OP
sorry

actually my timing is leaving home (Morehead City NC) end of this month, January.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:59   #13

I hope you have fun, safe trip. What’s your final destination?
Old 06-01-2023, 10:12   #14

thanks

final destination is open

like to get a start with some easting to work my way, no schedule, will play the weather and enjoy the ride.

Bimini seems to me will start, deep into the hole.

Exploring options, there is my question for possibles Exuma?,Abaco?.
Old 06-01-2023, 14:08   #15

Sounds great. I just arrived in oriental in November. It’s a very picturesque place and everyone is very friendly. I’m thinking for the next few years to go back and forth between there and the keys. Would really like to explore the Bahamas as I can.

Tags
beaufort, bimini