Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2016, 04:47   #16
Moderator
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sxm , Spain
Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Posts: 4,367
Re: Bavaria Measurements

Yep, LOA dont include bowsprit or pulpits , for that job you have the marinas who are very happy to include any add structure in the stern or bow. Saying that my ex CSY is right on the papers and right in the hull, and then you have EU who invented the LOH, lenght of hull , excluding bow pulpits etc.. i guess is the same thing... Only molded parts in the hull or deck are include in the total LOA , obviously a pulpit is not a molded part ..

So, i dont get your point, if they are not molded in the hull then they dont play in the game, 38 ft without pulpits or stern swim plataform is the same in EU or the moon.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 04:52   #17
Moderator
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sxm , Spain
Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Posts: 4,367
Re: Bavaria Measurements

And really, ok so if my papers say 35 ft and i dock in a EU marina with a add 7 ft bowsprit and 3 ft swim platform, do you think they are going to charge me for 35 ft?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 20:55   #18
Registered User
 
SofiaB's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lake Erie, Ohio
Boat: Bavaria Vision 46
Posts: 114
Re: Bavaria Measurements

Bavaria got it right with mine (I believe): Bavaria Vision 46, LOA: 45'10". Sounds about right.
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:52   #19
Moderator
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sxm , Spain
Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Posts: 4,367
Re: Bavaria Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
Bavaria got it right with mine (I believe): Bavaria Vision 46, LOA: 45'10". Sounds about right.
Sounds pretty fair...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:19   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Boat: Bavaria 38 C
Posts: 56
Re: Bavaria Measurements

It seems to boil down to this: LOA does not the same in EU and in the USA, so when Bavaria, in my initial examples, states LOA in the specs, they really use LOH, but when USCG states LOA in the docs, it also includes bowsprit, pulpits swim platforms and davits.

Comments???
viben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:03   #21
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 6,140
Re: Bavaria Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viben View Post
It seems to boil down to this: LOA does not the same in EU and in the USA, so when Bavaria, in my initial examples, states LOA in the specs, they really use LOH, but when USCG states LOA in the docs, it also includes bowsprit, pulpits swim platforms and davits.

Comments???
No Bavaria does not mess things up. If you go to their German site you will see that they have LOA, stated correctly as well as Hull Length and Water Length (LWL). However, like it is mainstream in Europe, when Length is referred (tout court), meaning the general use of the term, the Length that is referred is the Hull Length.
https://www.bavaria-yachtbau.com/sai.../vision46.html

On European boat papers on the dimensions of the boat the references are Length (not LOA) and Beam, therefore the length refers to the hull length. It happens with Bavaria and with almost all European brands, at least in Europe.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:42   #22
Moderator
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sxm , Spain
Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Posts: 4,367
Re: Bavaria Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viben View Post
It seems to boil down to this: LOA does not the same in EU and in the USA, so when Bavaria, in my initial examples, states LOA in the specs, they really use LOH, but when USCG states LOA in the docs, it also includes bowsprit, pulpits swim platforms and davits.

Comments???
From the USCG SITE...


In all vessels, the stem and stern define the foremost and aftermost boundaries, respectively, of the buoyant hull envelope. Any attachment to the hull, such as a swim platform that is not part of the hull and does not contain buoyant volume, is ignored from measurements taken to the stem/stern.

So if they are not molded in the hull they are not in the Calculations as far I understand.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 16:22   #23
Registered User
 
SofiaB's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lake Erie, Ohio
Boat: Bavaria Vision 46
Posts: 114
Re: Bavaria Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
No Bavaria does not mess things up. If you go to their German site you will see that they have LOA, stated correctly as well as Hull Length and Water Length (LWL). However, like it is mainstream in Europe, when Length is referred (tout court), meaning the general use of the term, the Length that is referred is the Hull Length.
https://www.bavaria-yachtbau.com/sai.../vision46.html

On European boat papers on the dimensions of the boat the references are Length (not LOA) and Beam, therefore the length refers to the hull length. It happens with Bavaria and with almost all European brands, at least in Europe.

Bavaria actually posts both a US and an EU spec sheet. The specs are consistent in their descriptions. The only issue with model numbers in my opinion is that it annoy me if the model, which is supposed to or is close to the length is not the length. My only question is why Bavaria, who's main audience is in the EU, doesn't use meters. Why not a Vision 14? I guess it's a marketing thing.
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 19:17   #24
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 6,140
Re: Bavaria Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
Bavaria actually posts both a US and an EU spec sheet. The specs are consistent in their descriptions. The only issue with model numbers in my opinion is that it annoy me if the model, which is supposed to or is close to the length is not the length. My only question is why Bavaria, who's main audience is in the EU, doesn't use meters. Why not a Vision 14? I guess it's a marketing thing.
Kind of strange isn't it? Not only Bavaria but most European builders use the metrical system for all dimensions and name the boat in the British old non metrical system, in Feet!!!

I guess it has to do with the first really big boom of yachting having happened on the states and the denomination of the boats in feet hang on these parts the same way still call a 4 wheel drive a Jeep even if many don't know what a jeep (the real thing) is. The same for instance with Lambretta for scooter, very few call it here that way, I mean scotter.

Anyway slowly it is going away with several brands naming their boats in meters or cm. For instance Maxi yachts, JPK, Winner yachts, Italia yachts, RM, C-yachts, among others. The tendency will reach mass production brands some day.

Funny, there is an american brand that passed to name (already for many years) their boats on metric units:
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 20:57   #25
Registered User
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Posts: 12,891
Re: Bavaria Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Anyway slowly it is going away with several brands naming their boats in meters or cm. For instance Maxi yachts, JPK, Winner yachts, Italia yachts, RM, C-yachts, among others.
Maxi actually name theirs in decimeters.

It took me a while to realise that a Maxi 77 is only a bit over 25 ft.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bavaria, men

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beneteau First 36.7 - Sail Measurements Pacific Monohull Sailboats 4 08-02-2011 10:27
Orana 44: Storage Box on Davits - Measurements ex-static Fountaine Pajot 3 14-04-2010 22:00
Catalac 8m Sail Measurements belize j Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 5 11-06-2009 20:39
Urgent, CL41 Offshore transom measurements needed Soft Air Monohull Sailboats 3 10-02-2009 14:16
Athena 38 Sail/Mast/Boom Measurements ireaney Fountaine Pajot 8 09-10-2008 20:56

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.