Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-03-2014, 21:43   #766

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Atlantic Delivery

Since no one else has mentioned it, consider this aspect of the situation: the boat's been unable to make progress. Rescue for the next three days: ideal conditions for a tow. Assistance during a gale would be more difficult, more risky.

Maybe they would rather not be rescued: there was no mayday, no pan pan.

But what a shame it would be if the owner lost his vessel, or if someone were injured. Right now they're okay. If the cause of their inability to sail well in the good winds is something they have not or can not fix, the risk factor goes way up.

Now, if I were owner of Bonne Etoile, I'd be so glad that Atoll had clued me in to what was happening: I'd want to protect my investment. I'd want to reward Atoll.

Maybe this "In Reach" gizmo is one of these deals of modern life running into old prejudices of the "Please, Mother, I'd rather do it myself!" variety. With total battery failure, one's normal means of communication would be unavailable.

I expect they have an EPIRB, though, for a "mayday."

Ann
Old 14-03-2014, 21:55   #767

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Now, if I were owner of Bonne Etoile, I'd be so glad that Atoll had clued me in to what was happening: I'd want to protect my investment. I'd want to reward Atoll.

Ann
To further that thought, I would add that a future potential customer of boatie who may read this thread would find his "network" of friends to be a good reason to choose him to deliver their vessel.

Steve
Old 14-03-2014, 22:03   #768

It seems to me that all Atoll has done is to alert the owner to the situation, and to available options.

It's up to the owner how to proceed, and that's as it should be.

I don't understand how that can be said to be "jumping the gun"?
Old 14-03-2014, 22:06   #769
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Agree Andrew.

He's less than 90 nm out.
Old 14-03-2014, 22:11   #770

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Atlantic Delivery

I'm surprised gobsmacked the owner was unaware. Great job Atoll!
Old 14-03-2014, 22:30   #771

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Good job Atoll...
Old 14-03-2014, 22:38   #772

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

I have not posted on this thread as I am not a "sailor"[, I only have engines, no sails!. But I have followed it since the beginning and like many, have checked the SPOT 2-3 times a day. Having come to "know" Boaty through his posts and having enjoyed reading him here, it has been fascinating to follow this trip. Two things pop to mind (other than wishes for a safe conclusion) (1) any criticism of Atoll is way out of line, as was posted earlier, you help your friends, they can always decline; and (2) how amazing it is that among all of us, from virtually all over the world, a way is found to provide help and support and get the owner involved (can't believe he has not been reading this!). Sort of like the Internet Coast Guard!

I know this: When I set off, I am gong to make damned sure I start a thread here and make sure my positions (and messages if possible) are avai
Old 14-03-2014, 22:43   #773
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Well this is one of the best threads ever on CF, and we should thank boaty for making it.

Give it your vote
Old 14-03-2014, 23:35   #774

I too sort of feel like I "know" boaty through his ubiquitous posts. While his carefree attitude is always refreshing, at the end of the day he's a professional when it comes to deliveries.

As a professional, I suspect Boaty would appreciate the owner being informed of the situation so the owner can make a decision about *his* ~half-million dollars floating just a days tow away.

Atoll!

Also, as somebody already pointed out, arranging a tow ahead of time can be a lot less costly than waiting for a true emergency.

...what an awesome thread!

(and for anyone keeping score, I too have been checking his SPOT tracking a couple times a day - Surely SPOT is curious what's up - lol)
Old 15-03-2014, 00:14   #775
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

I am a lurker/reader for the most here on the forum, but I just want to say that what Atoll has demonstrated here gives me a new appreciation for the community here.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 15-03-2014, 01:29   #776

Zai,

It's good about the sense of community, but we're at a strange junction, where I think it is Capt. Force 3, had doubts.

These doubts may arise from the following:

No Pan Pan was declared.

Atoll is a business competitor of Boatie's, perhaps. They're both delivery skippers.

So, how it might it be if Boatie perceives that Atoll's alerting the owner may impair his own business?

The issue is a judgment call. And I could see it going either way. For me, the most important part is that if one waits to make a rescue (if such is needed, and that's in question), at a later date, it may be more dangerous and more expensive. It's an interesting issue, because possible means of communication (powered by separate batteries from the ship's) are available now.

The judgment call was made, and I personally hope it works out best for Boatie and Atoll.

Ann
Old 15-03-2014, 02:02   #777
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Wink Re: Atlantic Delivery

Ann,

Of course I can understand that there could be some competitive spirit.

I am an old sea wolf of types myself and definetly have felt that same type of competitive spirit while at sea.

Durring my life I have seen several of such situations and only once have I witnessed any dissagreement after the fact. (and that was after the dissabled vessel asked for assistance)

Maybe I am a little naive of our community, but when at sea we are all brothers/sisters.
Old 15-03-2014, 02:13   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
Ann,

Of course I can understand that there could be some competitive spirit.

I am an old sea wolf of types myself and definetly have felt that same type of competitive spirit while at sea.

Durring my life I have seen several of such situations and only once have I witnessed any dissagreement after the fact. (and that was after the dissabled vessel asked for assistance)

Maybe I am a little naive of our community, but when at sea we are all brothers/sisters.
I agree that at sea we are all brothers and sisters, for sure, in the sense that one goes out to help, even if not asked. As my Jim said to me, "If Boatie doesn't want them when they come, he can tell them to go away." It all hinges on Boatie's perception of the situation--and of course, we who sit here at our wee computers, we don't know what he's thinking!

Cheers, Mate,

Ann
Old 15-03-2014, 02:24   #779

Ann

I think, whether knowingly or not, Boatie traded away some of his autonomy when he posted the link to his SPOT transmissions.

He involved the people here in his trip, supplying us with enough information to suspect the worst but not be able to confirm it ...

and it would be unrealistic, I think, for him to expect us to know his mind when things went pear-shaped, and act as he would have us act.

Or to simply sit on our hands.

Luckily we do not have to act, though, because Atoll has kicked the ball into the owner's court, and the owner does not need to know Boatie's mind: he's entitled to make up his own.
Old 15-03-2014, 02:46   #780
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... I think I can safety say Phil is my friend and perhaps I know him a little better than many of the other posters.

My gut feeling is that he would do the same as Atoll if the roles were reversed.

Hopefully we will know for sure (one way or the other) in the next few days.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread

Tags
delivery