Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 21:10   #136

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: ....And Then Reality Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kintala View Post
Scarlet it was so bad for us initially that we wrote a book about our experiences, How NOT to Buy a Cruising Boat. It took us six years to get everything fixed to where it was just routine maintenance. We both came out of a background of aviation where mechanical work is regulated heavily for quality and professionalism. The lack of quality construction and upkeep in the marine industry was shocking to us. All I can say is stay the course. It does get better and you're right, I wouldn't trade the last six years of cruising for anything.
We've read your book. You were at our previous marina at Carlyle.... Right?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 21:57   #137

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emery View Post
I bought a boat that had sat for 15 years in a field. It took me 2 and a half years to get it cruise worthy. I did not replace the oil cooler...it failed in the middle of the Panama Canal. The backstay chainplate failed 200 miles north of Cartagena, Columbia. Be thankful these things are getting wrung out dockside.
I bought a boat that took 2 months to prep and I've never had anything break on long passages. There's a message in there somewhere.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:58   #138

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
I bought a boat that took 2 months to prep and I've never had anything break on long passages. There's a message in there somewhere.
I agree, I only buy something in great condition and then add stuff I want. I also replace stuff before I need to. Some replace after stuff breaks, some before, I dont like the stress of after.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 22:26   #139

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
That you paid a hell of a lot more money?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 11:14   #140

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Came across the 3 year old thread and felt inspired to reply. I’ve owned 4 boats in my life, each one 7-20 years old when I bought them. I currently have a 40’ 5th wheel trailer that was bought new 5 years ago. Similar systems, similar problems. Completely agree that nothing will be maintained or repaired better by anyone other than the one who owns it, sails it, motors it or sleeps on it.

The thread has helped me in my research and planning for my final vessel, coming soon to my life, in that . . . I’ve waffled on looking for a boat that has the cruising gear already there or in a bit if less expensive and newer boat that doesn’t have it but I’d likely be buying, such as solar, controller, inverter, battery bank, AIS, radar, water maker (maybe), life raft, dinghy, etc.

Putting all that on myself would give me peace of mind and likely better install work and perhaps save in the long run. I DIY’d my own solar on the RV and couldn’t be happier. I have twin Honda 2000 Inverter gennys that I almost never use camping now. Wonder if one of those could work on the future boat? Where do Island Packets leave room for a generator?

I digress. . . Many of the comments here encouraged my, if not reminded me, of the need to bring that patience and remember, “There is nothing, nothing my friend, half so much worth doing as simply Messing About in boats.”
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2022, 12:54   #141

Boat: Hanse 430e

You are right BOAT
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 18:57   #142

OP and other Lagoon 450 owners, have you checked your bulkhead?
jmf_tracy is offline   Reply With Quote