Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 15:23   #1

Advise on Catamaran for extended cruising

Hi,

I have been wanting to take an extended sailing cruise since reading the book about the Dove (24' sloop around the world voyage). I've considered many different types of vessels including Trawlers, Sailboats and a few others, but have decided it pretty much has to be sail due to range issues. Having decided that, the question is mono or multi-hull, and that is pretty much been decide with multi being the choice. I can't see living life at an angle, and rolling at anchor, and would appreciate the wider spaces as well.

I don't need to live in the lap of luxury, but being comfortable with modern conveniences is important (water maker, laundry, auto-pilot etc.)

In reviewing many different makes, it seems to me that the Lagoon-style of vertical windows will give the most room. However, I want to make sure that the Lagoons are solid vessels devoid of the pitfalls I've been reading about like narrow hulls, low bridge-height, insufficient weight-carry capacity. I want to got from California to Hawaii and then on to Tahiti and who knows where after that.

Something in the 40' to 50' range.

Any sort of guidance would be appreciated.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 15:34   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Advise on Catamaran for extended cruising

You may find helpful information in the previous threads. Search there for more depth. That said....first step...what's your budget?
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 15:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

This is your first post. So I have two friendly suggestions to help you.

1. As with anyone first joining CF, I think it is a good idea to honestly tell the forum your level of sailing experience (and you can do that in your CF Profile), in some short statement in your post.

In your case, you should also state how much sailing you have done on catamarans or on monos, as it may help others help you with comparisons.

2. Here is something I suggest for anyone who posts a "Which Boat" thread:
I suggest you be as clear or open as possible on what you have for "Maximum Asking Price" plus indicate HOW MUCH in dollars will be available for "Refit & Upgrade Costs." This is critical, especially if your goal is to sail very far with that boat. IF you do not have enough money set aside for "Refit/Upgrade" you may find or have others recommend a boat to buy that is not really "seaworthy" enough or well prepared for such a long voyage. Of course that is a matter of opinion and we all have different levels of risk tolerance or aversion, experience, and sense.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your boat hunt and enjoy the forum.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 15:37   #4

Boat: Lagoon 410

I'm typing this on a 2003 Lagoon 410. I picked the 41 footer because I wanted something that I could handle by myself in a storm.

They are well found boats.
Old 22-01-2018, 15:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
You may find helpful information in the previous threads. Search there for more depth. That said....first step...what's your budget?
Approx $350K.
Old 22-01-2018, 16:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDish View Post
I'm typing this on a 2003 Lagoon 410. I picked the 41 footer because I wanted something that I could handle by myself in a storm.

Are there any cats that you feel would be a better choice. I am looking for a solid, extended-range open-water cruising - not just near-shore day-sailing/week or so sailing, but passage-making in open water.
Old 22-01-2018, 17:07   #7

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
Are there any cats that you feel would be a better choice. I am looking for a solid, extended-range open-water cruising - not just near-shore day-sailing/week or so sailing, but passage-making in open water.
If you want extended range blue water I would think long and hard about the leopard 44 and its huge water catcher with doors into the saloon they call a forward cockpit.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 17:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
If you want extended range blue water I would think long and hard about the leopard 44 and its huge water catcher with doors into the saloon they call a forward cockpit.
Yes, I am not interested in a flybridge or forward cockpit due to weight issues when broached and raising center of pressure by raising boom to accommodate flybridge. Aft helm or inside helm, but not on top or in front.
Old 22-01-2018, 17:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDish View Post

Are there any serious flaws you have found in that boat that would jeopardize/compromise safety and/or well-being at sea such as excessive bridge-deck slapping, insufficient weight-carrying capacity etc.? There would be either 4 or 2 of us onboard.

BTW, I saw a boat with electric drive for propulsion. Any thoughts on this?
Old 22-01-2018, 17:28   #10

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
Yes, I am not interested in a flybridge or forward cockpit due to weight issues when broached and raising center of pressure by raising boom to accommodate flybridge. Aft helm or inside helm, but not on top or in front.
yes my bad theres another thread on same topic but where the guys preferred boat is the leopard 44 (but hes only wanting coastal sailing). got them mixed up.

theres a ton of boats in your price range. i would look at the lagoons as you mention or the older leopards. theres a big dfference between a 40 foot and 50 foot cat. would probably start by narrowing that down a bit.

look at sail handling and size, storm tactics, load carrying requirements, bridgedeck clearance to name a few
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 18:00   #11

I spent 3 years cruising leopards and a few lagoons along the east coast of the US and Caribbean. 2003 lagoon would do a fine job of cruising down wind. Your going to pay a price in your pointing angle but you'll be cozy. I would HIGHLY recommend chartering a Cat before fully committing to the multi-haul life. Some folks find the less desirable after spending a week aboard going from A to B. You'll also get to understand how big the Main sail is.

IMO would not consider taking either newer lagoons or leopards out with the same intentions. IMO The hauls and layouts are designed for the charter market and IMO their performance has paid the biggest price. IMO...
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 18:08   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
theres a big dfference between a 40 foot and 50 foot cat. would probably start by narrowing that down a bit.
Plus 1
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 18:28   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Here's a vote for the older Leopards, and I mean older! The original line, in the order in which they were introduced, L45, L38, L42, L47, L43 are really solid boats that sail well.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 19:20   #14

There are many capable boats that fit your needs. Almost any 40-50 foot option from the big 3 will be a great choice (people fret about the Leopard forward helm safety aspect, but Happy Together on youtube is proving it's really not an issue).

One thing I would look for in any bluewater cruising cat is a raised helm. It doesn't have the windage or exposure of a full flybridge nor the aft exposure and lack of visibility of an aft helm. Most people who actually sail cats long distance almost always rave about how their bimini and enclosures allow for incredibly comfortable and safe cruising (especially night watches). An added benefit is the ability to interact with the cockpit which is both safer and better for morale since easy communication is essential at sea.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 20:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
There are many capable boats that fit your needs. Almost any 40-50 foot option from the big 3 will be a great choice (people fret about the Leopard forward helm safety aspect, but Happy Together on youtube is proving it's really not an issue).

One thing I would look for in any bluewater cruising cat is a raised helm. It doesn't have the windage or exposure of a full flybridge nor the aft exposure and lack of visibility of an aft helm. Most people who actually sail cats long distance almost always rave about how their bimini and enclosures allow for incredibly comfortable and safe cruising (especially night watches). An added benefit is the ability to interact with the cockpit which is both safer and better for morale since easy communication is essential at sea.
The big 3 would be ???

Tags
catamaran, cruising, extended cruising