Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 16:04   #46
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: 2013 Lagoon 380 or 2010 Maverick 400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingCrows View Post
M400 has the same price with Lagoon. Yes it has tons of extras, and I know that the cost of a cat can be doubled with the options... But do I really need $15K watermaker in future? I don't think so.
Thanks for the explanations CC...and all understood, altho as we said before, it's your Show!

We share a lot of your views, by the way.

A further comment is that the extras are important, especially vis-a-vis the 'base' Lagoons...or are you looking at one of Lagoon's upgraded packages with some extras? When we were looking, the base Lagoons didn't even include anchors or anti-foul!

So no, you won't need a watermaker. We don't even have a watermaker and we crossed both oceans and now still venture regularly well into blue water. We also don't have (and don't want) air-conditioning, washing machine, etc etc. You may, however, need some safety extras like navigation/radar and radio and MOB setups or some power accessories like a genset or solar panels and/or some creature comforts for fittings and the galley etc...and we shouldn't even mention things like anchors and anti-foul as they are hardly extras!!

The point is -- Given your apparent care in the process, you probably already considered -- that it's worthwhile to pick up the Lagoon list of factory options (many of which can be retro-fitted more economically, of course) and just read through it carefully with a view to deciding what on that list will be important for you...and then, of course, factoring that cost into your numbers.

As we said before, we wish you the very best whichever way to go!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:04   #47

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I can't comment of which is the better boat but my impression from your comments is you're not going to be very satisfied with the "used" Maverick even if you get it at the price you're going to offer.

That said, I'm wondering how fast is the "new" going to wear off if you go with the Lagoon? Assuming the Maverick is in as good a shape as you say, in six months are you really going to be able to tell a difference in terms of age and those things you like about "new" stuff? I would suspect that after 6 months if both boats were sitting side by side at the dock one would not be able to tell which was the newer. Something to think about.

Also, during the first 6 months you are probably going to have more issues (small hopefully) with a new boat as compared to one 2-3 years old since the older one will already have dealt with the "punch list" items that invariable come up with any boat. Since its sounds like you won't get much help from Lagoon after the sale and you don't have the time or desire to deal with these sort of problems yourself, a slightly used boat may be to your advantage.
Old 26-01-2013, 16:28   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I can't comment of which is the better boat but my impression from your comments is you're not going to be very satisfied with the "used" Maverick even if you get it at the price you're going to offer.
Ah, very cheeky! You know me well, nonetheless, money is a good motivator... and I made the offer knowing that it has only 1% chance of being accepted

Quote:
That said, I'm wondering how fast is the "new" going to wear off if you go with the Lagoon? Assuming the Maverick is in as good a shape as you say, in six months are you really going to be able to tell a difference in terms of age and those things you like about "new" stuff? I would suspect that after 6 months if both boats were sitting side by side at the dock one would not be able to tell which was the newer. Something to think about.
Good point, but not accurate. I have seen a 2010 Lipari 41 and I could not understand if it was not brand new. In fact, I thought it was brand new until the dealer told me its year of purchase. Not so with Maverick. It has 1000 hours on both engines altogether, is this heavily or mildly used?

Quote:
Also, during the first 6 months you are probably going to have more issues (small hopefully) with a new boat as compared to one 2-3 years old since the older one will already have dealt with the "punch list" items that invariable come up with any boat. Since its sounds like you won't get much help from Lagoon after the sale and you don't have the time or desire to deal with these sort of problems yourself, a slightly used boat may be to your advantage.
Another good point also... oh well Lagoon dealer here is established and old, I reckon issues would be taken care of. But then again, I don't know what would happen since I haven't owned a cat before.

Thank you for the brainstorming... all CF members made very valid points for me to consider.
CountingCrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:39   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
A further comment is that the extras are important, especially vis-a-vis the 'base' Lagoons...or are you looking at one of Lagoon's upgraded packages with some extras? When we were looking, the base Lagoons didn't even include anchors or anti-foul!
Imagine my shock also to find out about these also that... L380 does not come with any sort of cockpit bimini Yes I have essentials pack plus some items from comfort pack, and anything else necessary to have a comfortable setup, including all navigation items, radar, AIS, VHF, etc, and items that would be very hard to fit afterwards (like a water tank). It just does not include high value items (like a genaker, watermaker, solar panels, diesel heater, gangplank, etc [all of which, and then some more are available on M400]).

Quote:
As we said before, we wish you the very best whichever way to go!
Thank you, very much appreciated. Consider I owe you all a beer (or two) + plus good sightseeing if any of you ever happen to pass by from around here!
CountingCrows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon