Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 05:47   #1

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
1988 33' Prout Quest 33CS

Can anyone advise me of this year/model yacht? Trying to find a large layout picture, reviews and maybe personal experiences.

Quote:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/Prout-Quest-33cs-2134057/Preveza/Greece

My wife has nixed the liveaboard idea for now (not enough room for all her shoes I guess <G>..unless we were rich enough to buy a Antares 44i, and join a marina/yachtclub with the proper ameneties....I think most of you know where I'm going with this.

So, If I want a baot to take my son sailing, swimming and fishing..most ly coastal cruising around Florida 9west to east), up the inter-coastal to Annapolis and then back to the Bahama's. I will need to find something that has a good name and hull, then put it on the hard and take a year or so to gut, modernize the interior (I really hate all the dark woods used in the older boats).

This listing looks like a good price and from my searches here, Prouts are definately good hulls. Plus, the beam on this yacht is not much wider than a Gemini...so this should fit in a standard dock yes?
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 08:46   #2

I grew up cruising Florida on my dad's Quest 31. Not sure what the difference is from the 33, probably they just put a couple extra feet in the stern. Beam is the same. They're not fast boats, but very safe and solid.

He pitched the sonic outdrive early on and went to an outboard. He now regrets that, but at the time was having bad galvanic problems. He also put on a taller mast for better sailing performance.

I don't know what a standard dock is, but I suspect your fees will be higher than normal for a 33 footer because of the beam. You shouldn't have any trouble getting it hauled though.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 08:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
He pitched the sonic outdrive early on and went to an outboard. He now regrets that, but at the time was having bad galvanic problems.
Why does he regret it? My thoughts were to pitch this one adn install twin Yamaha 9.9 HT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
I don't know what a standard dock is, but I suspect your fees will be higher than normal for a 33 footer because of the beam.
At what beam width do standard dockage's become insufficient? (Probably differes with marina's, but on an average)

TIA
Old 26-07-2010, 10:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Why does he regret it? My thoughts were to pitch this one adn install twin Yamaha 9.9 HT's
His regret may be irrational. He has had no end of trouble over the years keeping his outboards running. Probably mostly due to fuel age and lack of use. A diesel is a much more reliable machine and a more stable fuel.

I don't know if 2x 9.9s will be enough power. My dad cut out the back of the nacelle where the outdrive was and mounted one there. He used 25s for awhile, but I think he has a 40 now.

Quote:
At what beam width do standard dockage's become insufficient? (Probably differes with marina's, but on an average)
Since the overwhelming number of boats are monos, that's what the marinas are designed for. A mono with a 14 foot beam is a big boat and a marina isn't going to like only getting 33 feet in there. I suspect you may find that you have to pay for two standard slips, or a minimum per foot charge, or a 50% surcharge per foot. I have seen all three of those policies at different marinas. An owner of a cat that size could provide more definitive info about their experiences.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 10:22   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I would think that twin 9.9' s would be sufficient for the Prout. We have owned cats from 32 to 43 feet over the past 18 years and never payed more than a mono hull. I expect over time that will change.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 10:37   #6

smj, what kind of beam were your Cat's?

Thanks jay
Old 26-07-2010, 11:18   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
smj, what kind of beam were your Cat's?

Thanks jay
They ranged from 13'6" to 24'.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 11:18   #8

Thanks
Old 26-07-2010, 16:34   #9

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I love mine and recognise it's weaknesses.
It generally sails at a third, sometimes up to a half of the wind speed, up to the hull speed of 7.5kts but carries full sail up to 40+kts of wind. Not fast but very safe and confidence building.
The slatted main is wrong, the boats are built for a triangular main, adding that area just unbalances the boat.
Mine had a 43hp engine fitted with an upgraded sonic drive leg. The slew cable system should be replaced with an hydraulic system, loads are very heavy on mine.
The morse (spiral wire) rudder cable has too much play in it, replace with a non-powered hydraulic system.
It's easy to fit a plug in the base of the mast to raise the rig by a yard to much improve light airs performance, but probably cheaper to buy symmetric spinnaker suited to winds up to 25kts to give boat speeds nearer to half the apparent.
Rudder authority is limited, especially at docking speeds, the slewing drive leg helps but the wind will always blow the bows before it no matter what you do.
Otherwise as a beginner myself, with a novice crew, I've coped with everything so far. thanks to the boat. It is far more seaworthy than I am and that's a wonderful feeling, even if we do have to motor more than I'd want to.
10hp outboards will be fine for river work, but making headway against wind and tide is not going to happen. if you are happy to wait until the tide turns then it's not a problem but do consider how many day sails will be late returns.
The 33 I've seen has a clumsy raised portion of walkway just ahead of the cockpit. Mine is a flat walkway all around. It makes a difference to beginners and the bows are where the ladies like to sit and natter when motoring.
Any more you'd like to know, just ask!
Old 26-07-2010, 16:40   #10

Just had a weekend out in very light airs, and with that slatted main at first reef the tacking was much easier. Still slow, but at least consistent. Ease the rudder gently to full throw to avoid stalling, and try pushing the boom into the wind to help to get her through the tack and don't release the genoa until it has back filled just to get set on the new course quickly.
An auto pilot or tiller pilot will help if single handing, though often single helming is more coordinated than having a helmsman.
Old 27-07-2010, 01:58   #11

Thanks Eleven
Old 27-07-2010, 03:53   #12

It sounds like you are already committed mentally, you just want to be sure.
With a Prout the price only deteriorates with condition. most of my interior is original, and a little dark, but lighter carpetting (cats are carpetted, mono's are wet) has helped, and we've added throw overs that double as blankets, again in lighter colours.
The saloon berth is huge, honeymoon size!, which is great for marina use and only needs decent venetian blinds for the front windows, and curtaining for privacy from passers by and crew mates. The hull berths are all comfortable for three pairs of good companions although the front bunk is reckoned to be a bit lively in some sea conditions. We've added light weight doors (thin ply) for additional privacy, well worth it for night visits to the head.
We also added an additional step at the rear of the nacelle which houses the grab bag and shore cables and makes movement around the boat much less stressful, at sea and in the marina. That nacelle is not sealed at the rear bulkhead, I'd recommend you add some builders foam as rain can drive in, or drain into that closed space through gaps in the helm box.
Sailing the boat is a joy, not fast, but so safe. Guests are never stressed, even when I'm thinking of reefing. Novice brother and wife expressed their comfort and the feeling of safety aboard. That was in f6 conditions with a tangle in the genoa reefing that meant dropping the sail! So far the grandchildren girls 4 and 6 haven't been to sea, the grandson at 10 loves it, leaping all around, every corner of the deck space, always in his life jacket. Single handing is becoming more attractive now I've got some experience and have probably retired. I've reached the age, just expected to be working for a few more years yet.
The main sail is now on single line reefing at the first reef. A thin cord run through the eyes draws the sail down nicely and evenly, the eye at the front corner fits to a hook and can the halyard can then be pulled tight again. Reefing cord are then sealed off.
We did have single line reefing on the second reef but the lengths of line involved caused too many tangles and issues.
The only issue I'm aware of is that the rear bulkhead can be abused at the doorways. Mine was double thicknessed up to 3 ft high by the last owner, I'd recommend that just to be sure, to be sure.
The real joy is when the wind gets up a bit. f4 to 5 ii is in it's element. Mono's are leaning, spilling wind, wives screaming, while we sail on, on an even keel, and preparing a fry up.
Prout's will, in my opinion, out sail their crew so long as the crew don't put the boat in danger.
You find lots of stuff on:- PROUT OWNERS ASSOCIATION
Worth a look though there's too much on his own his own experiences and cruises. he does have a lot of contacts and info but not as well sorted as The Cruisers Forum.
Old 27-07-2010, 03:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
It sounds like you are already committed mentally, you just want to be sure.
Eleven,

I made the mistake of being committed on a previous boat, the "admiral" shot that one done. Since I have about 5 months or so left over here. I'm trying to make a list of 3-5 boats that based on my research and well-valued feedback from owners of those boats...I can use that to take the admiral to look at some then.

Appreciate all your feedback
Old 28-07-2010, 20:08   #14

more thoughts

Ahoy,
I too own a Prout Quest 31. Mine was originally moulded as an outboard version, but was fitted with a diesel and sonic outdrive. At 20HP, I have not had any problems moving about. At 2400 rpm we move at almost 8 kts. I considered removing the diesel when we purchased her, but after some maintenance issues were attended to, I will keep the diesel for a few more seasons. Bukh diesels are tough and very heavy!
And mostly stupid simple!!

There are a few differences between the 33 and the 31 and later on the 33CS is different from the 33. The 33's hull was stretched and the 33CS bumped the hulls farther into the center of the boat to enlarge the aft berths. This created a smaller cavity for the water to pass by, more turbulence. Not sure if this induced any more pounding, but I have been informed that there is a different "ride" from the CS models. With following seas, the 33CS hulls would prevent a smooth movement of water. The deck moulding was different for the 33 also. As stated, there was a bump out into the walkaround that one needs to step on and over to move about the aft end (but, I am the first to admit that headroom in the aft berths is poor on the 31's) and also the cabintop was moulded with a slightly raised headroom areajust forward the mast. I have noticed that the 33's have a different deck edge than my 31. Not sure if that translated into extra headroom.

I am always amazed at just how strong and safe our Prout is. She is heavy by contemporary standards, but we are able to massage a lot of speed out of the old girl.

And yes..... a plug for the Association. Check it out and ask questions...
classicone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 20:44   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Snowgoose 34

Chief,
I looked and almost bought a Quest 31 but found a Snowgoose 34 instead, probably a predecessor to the Quest 33. Eleven and Classicone have good points. Mine had the original Volvo diesel with Volvo outdrive which I replaced with a Kubota - lighter, more power and smoother. If I were to do it again, I would opt for a single Honda OB. The inside is still 1974. Keep in mind that you will probably need to upgrade the electical system, add more ventilation but difficult to change the wood. Watch out of the bottoms of the bulkheads - they rot easily. We like the space and ruggedness and low purchase cost. Not fast but stable and safe. And always something to replace/upgrade.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote