Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 03:32   #31

Re: Wooden hull for long term cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Well, if they are trying to keep it looking like a work of art you are correct.

If on the other hand you treat it like a boat and use it as such the numbers are reversed.
For us, with full time usage thats 2 weeks every 2 years out of the water and the rest of the time being used.
I expect that to drop down to one week every two years soon.
About the same turnaround as any other boat.

And why would it be any different for a timber boat?
Same deck, same construction, same people walking on it.

I see comments like this online...but I've never seen it in real life.

When I see guys working on wood boats in the yard and talk to them ...that's not the story they tell. It's either a labor of love and they just like working with wood or they regret it and would love to find a sucker to dump the boat on.

But hey, if you have a good experience, good for you.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:48   #32

The problem with wood is maint requires high (years) level of skills.

This can be very expensive , and a problem as your yard "repair" guy may easily be a complete novice.

A solid glass boat , no cored deck or pilot house is easiest to maintain.

Look at a Bounty 40 ft or any of the earlier solid GRP boats , the hulls are usually excellent and replacing winches , the engine whatever is easier than replacing a stem or garboard.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:09   #33

Lots of concerns regarding ongoing maintenance, I am not looking at boats oldar than say late 60,s and ones that have a good pedigree with upkept maintenance. Yes some of you are correct that the cheaper purchase price is pulling me in a bit. However I am thinking perhaps the 30k saved on a purchase would go a long way towards the upkeep providing a sound vessel to begn with.
Currently the house I am living in involves lots of maintenance, I spend 52 days of the year just keeping the gardens tidy. Then the bathroom needs reffiting, driveway this year 5k and my 2 week holiday, need to get on the roof to sort broken tile, clean the gutters, decorate kitchen, replace living room carpet, plus constant cleaning, windows need replacing could go on and on.
NicBeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:24   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wooden hull for long term cruising

My first boat was pitch pine plank on oak frames..
She was 30yrs old when I bought her and had been abandoned in a boatyard..
Looked scruffy and sad but the planks and frames were sound and after 18mths working on her weekends only I floated her and enjoyed 3 seasons on here before letting her go.
If I came across a similar boat I would consider it but it would have to be like my first boat, planked and intrinsically sound.
They have a completely different feel, romance and sound to plastic boats one has to experience to understand.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:28   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicBeeee View Post
I am not looking at boats oldar than say late 60,s and ones that have a good pedigree with upkept maintenance. Yes some of you are correct that the cheaper purchase price is pulling me in a bit. However I am thinking perhaps the 30k saved on a purchase would go a long way towards the upkeep providing a sound vessel to begn with.
This is the justification for buying ANY older, less expensive boat, regardless of the building material.

The first and biggest misconception is how far someone thinks 30K will go on 50-55 year old boat.

Buying a cheap old boat is not the least expensive means of entry into the world of boating. It may not be the most expensive certainly, however you will undoubtedly be upside down.

Buy a 50yr old wooden boat for 15K, and drop 50K into it. When you're done, you'll have a boat worth 15K and lucky if it's worth 20K. You will perpetually be upside down in the boat unless you continue its maintenance indefinitely and turn it into a antique heirloom. (At which time the familial, nostalgic value will still exceed the actual value).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26   #36

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
Hi,

First, there will be a ton of people telling you not to pursue a wooden boat. Some will give very sound reasons, others only opinions based on other people's opinions, hearsay, etc. (but they will sound like experts at least to themselves.)

It is true, there is a lot of maintenance with a wooden boat. But then, if kept in proper condition, there is a lot of maintenance with any boat made of any material.

GRP boats tend to have coring issues (for those with cored hulls or decks), gelcoat issues, leaks and a host of other dilemmas. Simply put; pick a building material and it is easy to find a plethora of known issues (many expensive) with that medium.

I own a strip plank built wooden sailboat that is 38' on deck. While it does have a lot of brightwork, the boat (built in 1980) is still rock solid! Nothing gives! The decks are solid underfoot - the flooring is solid underfoot (not so with many and most new GRP boats ), I weigh 246 pounds and I can literally hang off anything I can grab! Inside or out.

Buying a boat is a personal thing, and I think it is best to keep it that way. Do your research, like you are here, and buy what you want at the end of it. It may be a wooden boat would not suit you. But they do have a lot of character and charm, and if maintained, will take you anywhere the boat was designed for.

There are many different types of wooden boat construction. I would say it wise to familiarize yourself with them, and determine what would be the best type for you should you pursue one.

Other than that: Best to you!
This answer, most on hear have never had a wooden boat or maintained one , a well kept wooden boat will last for years, yes more work but who cares if you enjoy it, also a good survey will help with insurance and a well kept boat will have no issues in marinas, there are still wooden fishing trawlers in the North Atlantic from Scotland and plenty of these older boats have been brought back to life and used as Dive boats and tour boats , these were built in the 60s and 70s and still afloat have been CODED and insured so I see no issues this is a prime example a dive boat in Oban
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78077878_234562834178263_894439089854480384_o.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	204349  
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:55   #37

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I have owned wooden boats for many years. Never had any problems with insurance or finding a berth, rather the opposite.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:57   #38

Boat: Beneteau

Sadly I've had the displeasure of breaking up an Atkin Elf that a friend owned for more than 40 years. It had been sitting at our yard for 10 years at this point while he was sailing the new to him 35 foot fibreglass boat. This was a guy with a good amount of money but it simply came down to the convenience and more time sailing and not paying a ton to others while he worked to make a good living for the yard workers. Sadly in the end he had no offers other than giving it to others he knew could not afford the old girl.

The mast is now a flagpole in my friend's yard and the only other things remaining is hardware that I'd salvaged prior to the excavator.

I love the idea of wooden boats but own grp because I have built them and owned them. Now I sail instead.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:03   #39

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

You can usually buy a wood boat for very little if it "needs some work".
Many boats are given at no cost if you will take over the slip fees. There are reasons why owners give away boats.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:08   #40

Boat: DownEaster 38

Hi NicBeeee.
It's a very personal matter, but wooden boats can be maintained and serve their owners very well. One of the best of this lot is Norwegian built 12 mCR yacht, Skoiern, now over 100 years old which has circled the globe several times. Now resting in Brittany, France. Take a look at her story. https://skoiern.com/?lang=en It is amazing. Good luck.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:20   #41

Boat: Sabre 402

Maybe you should talk to this guy: https://www.yachttallyho.com

He has about 60 videos showing his progress in great detail.
https://yachttallyho.com/index.php/b...-project-recap
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:30   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicBeeee View Post
Hi, we have been looking at wooden hull yachts of around 40ft. Has anyone got some tips on what I should be on the lookout for condition wise. Very naive still compared to you guys on here. I will be paying out for a survey but would prefer not to waste money or anyone's time if I can see if it's worth or not worth pursuing.
Thanks
I wouldn't want a wooden boat in this day and age. If that's what you want, take out your little pocket knife and probe around for rot bilge and interior prior to getting a survey. How was it planked, was it heated in a cold climate causing condensation? I burnt the 48' boat my parents lived on. Just the cost of sitting on the hill to do restoration is a consideration.
JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:36   #43

Many people cannot bear the smell of traditional wooden boats.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:38   #44

I have owned two wooden boats, both sail, diesel powered the last being a 42 foot Ketch. Both were over 40 years old, both were well maintained both when I got them and as I owned them. I found the wooden hulls to provide a (marginally) easier ride, were warmer, quieter and somewhat more comfortable than comparable glass. In my 15 years of ownership in San Diego, hull maintenance was not much of an issue, I painted the hull on the ketch once, pursued rot aggressively. Most of the maintenance was brightwork (the ketch was floating furniture) and systems (plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, navionics and the like)
My recommendation: Don't be afraid of a wooden boat but buy on condition. Get a good survey from a knowledgeable wooden boat surveyor. You find insurance, and if you are in a place where there are a number of wooden boats, you can find a slip. I suggest the PNW or upper East coast.
Go forth, my friend, with your eyes open and be prepared to maintain your pride and joy.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:59   #45

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Poor timber choice causes problems.
In Australia, most pine and Kauri are considered poor choices.
Yes, it is interesting that kauri is considered a bad choice when one thinks that most of the really old wooden boats (launches) in NZ that are considered collectors items and are in pristine condition after 60 years or more, are made of kauri.

Even more interesting is the kauri logs that have been dug out of swamps after being fully submerged (commonly known as swamp kauri) for 50000 years are milled and found to be in perfect condition. Apparently it’s because they’re shielded from oxygen.

Also, very few boats built of wood present raw timber to the water so as long as the inside is reasonably protected from moisture, no reason why kauri shouldn’t last as long as any other.

As an amateur (hobby) carpenter, kauri, when I can get it, is my first preference in workable “hardwoods”. Please don’t use “pine” as a parallel to “kauri”.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, hull, long term cruising