Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 20:10   #106

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Winter Shrink Wrap ? Why?

I think my wrap is about 250
Old 30-01-2021, 05:24   #107

Boat: 1984 Rhodes 22

Here on the Chesapeake, where winters can be moist with occasional snow and cold spells, we pull the boat out and winterize her in November. I winterize the outboard, head and freshwater system, drop the mast and lay it on the pulpit and transom, and use a large sturdy tarp to cover our 22. It keeps a lot of leaves and dust out of the cockpit, and keeps the interior drier. I don’t keep a heater on board as that can be dangerous, but do run a small dehumidifier on a timer to help reduce the chance of mildew. It looks kinda awful, but saves a lot of money, and a $100 tarp is usually good for 2 winters.
edexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:09   #108

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I'm speaking from the experience of running a small boatyard in my location for twenty years. When you've found yourself lying on top of a $6000 custom cover in 180 kilometers of wind cutting it off because the aluminum tubing has been twisted into odd shapes while informing the owner of your intentions you come to realize that the cover is a greater threat than the other elements. So no I'm not where you are and understand that you may be right right there but don't preach to those who don't sit in your church.

I have some experience with the difficulties you mention regarding getting tarps and covers to stay in one piece and on the boat in strong winds and snow loads. I’ve used tarps and a custom cover but never used shrink wrap. I agree that shrink wrap is expensive and wasteful unless it’s recycled like some have mentioned they do. But the problem with not covering is that, while superficially it doesn’t look like any damage is being done, all the freeze/thaw/freeze cycles are like tiny wedges that pry apart any tiny crevice in the gel coat or get under things bolted to your decks. A cockpit filled with snow with a warm sun shining on it while the scuppers are frozen solid In the shade can cause big problems. I honestly don’t know how much damage this is likely to cause but it seems to me that it’s a legitimate worry. I agree that even with my custom cover it’s a PIA to remove the sails and cover the boat and to go check on it and remove snow after every storm and get the cover repaired each spring, but I worry that the damage caused by not covering it could be irreversible. I guess the only sure solution to this dilemma is to head south for the winter so all these issues become a moot point.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:09   #109

Boat: Rafiki 37

BP/None, are those prices you quote just for the material? I think most people are quoting on having a "professional" come in and do the work.

When I search around on these internets for prices in Toronto I come up with it costing me between $500 and $600 for my 40' boat. At least that was the number that came out of the posted price lists of the few I could find.

Just curious if we're comparing apples to apples.
Old 30-01-2021, 09:22   #110

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

For some of us that don't have an all-plastic boat, I have teak decks, if I didn't provide a cover for the winter (of course it depends on where your boat is) I'd find no decks still laid down in the spring.

We've been in the northern part of the US & Canada while on the Loop, which might make a difference to some.

The $$$ spent on shrink-wrap saves our decks. This winter our boat is being stored under a shed roof and therefore no shrink-wrap.

IF the shrink-wrap is collected by the right organization, I think it can be remade for the installer to use again, but not sure on that.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 09:44   #111

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
For some of us that don't have an all-plastic boat, I have teak decks, if I didn't provide a cover for the winter (of course it depends on where your boat is) I'd find no decks still laid down in the spring.

We've been in the northern part of the US & Canada while on the Loop, which might make a difference to some.

The $$$ spent on shrink-wrap saves our decks. This winter our boat is being stored under a shed roof and therefore no shrink-wrap.

IF the shrink-wrap is collected by the right organization, I think it can be remade for the installer to use again, but not sure on that.

Ah, the joys of teak decks. Spend a lot of time and money making a boat watertight bottom AND top, then drill a thousand holes in the deck while you screw the teak down. Then spend your life maintaining it.

I'm not sure shrink wrap is necessary to keep snow, dirt, etc. off. There are other, cheaper, just-as-effective, more environmentally friendly ways (such as tarping) to protect a boat. Shrink-wrapping is beautiful but expensive, wasteful, and not any better than the alternatives. In fact, in many situations, I think it is considerably worse.

A HUGE percentage of what we submit for recycling goes to landfill. A major tenant of the recycling biz is: let's collect it, THEN we'll figure out how to recycle or reuse it. There's still lot's to do on that front. Value Village and other thrift shops throw out 80% of the clothes "donated" to them.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 12:47   #112

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Ah, the joys of teak decks. Spend a lot of time and money making a boat watertight bottom AND top, then drill a thousand holes in the deck while you screw the teak down. Then spend your life maintaining it.

I'm not sure shrink wrap is necessary to keep snow, dirt, etc. off. There are other, cheaper, just-as-effective, more environmentally friendly ways (such as tarping) to protect a boat. Shrink-wrapping is beautiful but expensive, wasteful, and not any better than the alternatives. In fact, in many situations, I think it is considerably worse.

A HUGE percentage of what we submit for recycling goes to landfill. A major tenant of the recycling biz is: let's collect it, THEN we'll figure out how to recycle or reuse it. There's still lot's to do on that front. Value Village and other thrift shops throw out 80% of the clothes "donated" to them.

What you say about teak decks used to be true but now it’s more likely that new teak decks are glued down, which avoids all those little holes you mentioned.

I also think you’re right about recycling. Lots of good intentions but not a lot actually being recycled and reused in the way one might hope. Now, ironically, the local grocery stores have stopped providing those little plastic grocery bags and that’s one of the few things I used to consistently reuse to line trash containers in cars and boats and separate shoes from clothing in a suitcase and for packing a lunch when traveling, and for picking up after the dog, etc. Ive still got a bunch of them stockpiled but once they run out I’ll have to find something else to use for those purposes.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 13:32   #113

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I also think you’re right about recycling. Lots of good intentions but not a lot actually being recycled and reused in the way one might hope. Now, ironically, the local grocery stores have stopped providing those little plastic grocery bags and that’s one of the few things I used to consistently reuse to line trash containers in cars and boats and separate shoes from clothing in a suitcase and for packing a lunch when traveling, and for picking up after the dog, etc. Ive still got a bunch of them stockpiled but once they run out I’ll have to find something else to use for those purposes.
Yup... as I said, most recycling programs are more about making consumers feel OK about consuming. Most recycling makes dubious sense environmentally, but as long as we think the stuff is being re-used, we feel better about buying all the crap.

I think plastic shrink wrap definitely has its place, but it ain't "green."
Old 30-01-2021, 13:42   #114

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
What you say about teak decks used to be true but now it’s more likely that new teak decks are glued down, which avoids all those little holes you mentioned.

Yeah, our local grocery stores are REALLY going away from plastic bags - to the point they are EXTREMELY hard to find unless you shop at Walmart every day (also known as the local "junk yard"). Our local IGA has gone to paper bags - which are no more re-cyclable than plastic but ARE more biodegradable - so at least if you throw them in the bush or out your car window as you drive down the highway, they will disappear in the rain fairly quickly.

So now, instead of re-using the plastic bags from the IGA we have to buy Kitchen Catchers there. Ahhh! the light comes on!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 13:46   #115

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The marina where I haul for the winter used to collect all the shrink wrap in hoppers and the material was sent off to a recycling facility. The recycling facility no longer accepts shrink wrap for recycling so it is just heat shrunk into a tight ball and ends up in a landfill.
I’m glad I invested in a fitted canvas cover in 2011. It’s much better for the boat and should be serviceable for another ten years, at least.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 17:40   #116

Boat: O'Day 322

I am in NW Indiana on Lake Michigan. We can get a fair amount of snow, cold temps and freeze/thaw cycles.

I did not cover my first boat...a 1996 Hunter 280. Good shape, no teak on top, just let her weather.

My current boat is an O’Day 322, 1988. She has some teak railings, she has some cracks in the gel coat, and is in general, showing her age a bit....I didn’t want to have ice and snow in the cockpit, draining into the scuppers, cracking hoses, plus the UV on the fiberglass, hatches, etc. can be cut in half if she is covered in the off-season....

so I first covered her with tarps and a wood frame. A royal pain in the arse...

I looked into shrink wrapping, but as many have said, the annual recurring cost seemed high. So instead, I purchased a custom-made canvas cover for her. It zips into 3 sections, so no piece is too big to get on deck, then zip them together and away you go. She does t use a frame...the boom acts a ridge pole from the mast back, and a halyard suspends the front section.

The cover is about 7 years old now...still in pretty good shape, so I am in the money vs shrink wrapping her all these years. I have had to stitch up a few seams and sewed a backing patch where my traveller was rubbing and wearing a hole in the canvas...but pretty simple stuff. I am happy with the cover decision.

I guess one could buy all the stuff to shrink wrap (material, torch kit, etc) and do it yourself...probably not too hard to learn...

YMMV,

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 17:46   #117

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Winter Shrink Wrap ? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
BP/None, are those prices you quote just for the material? I think most people are quoting on having a "professional" come in and do the work.

When I search around on these internets for prices in Toronto I come up with it costing me between $500 and $600 for my 40' boat. At least that was the number that came out of the posted price lists of the few I could find.

Just curious if we're comparing apples to apples.

My cost is the check I write to the marina but not including my time t set the framing u. I put the mast on a pair of sawhorses and have 2 inch pvc pipies that hoop over it. So the cost is all in for the wrap itself
I became tired of cheap tarps getting snow covered and collapsing the holding all that water then refreezing

Please recall my boat is only 28 ft and is on a cradle
Old 01-02-2021, 17:40   #118

Boat: Northern 29

I have had a heavy yellow canvas tarp (approx 70lbs!)on my 29ft boat for the past 10 years. I'm in Toronto. Absolutely great for keeping the snow/water away. Downsides include weight and some staining on the hull, which can somewhat be removed. I switched to a custom made and lighter nylon cover because lifting the canvas and installing the canvas for winter was getting beyond my strength . I would never consider shrink wrap because of the costs, environmental and financial, and work still required to install and remove it.
campbdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 06:21   #119

Boat: Hanse 348

Reviving this thread. New boat. No real wood. Up in New England, so definitely get snow and cold weather, though boat yards are on the bay where that is moderated a bit as the water never freezes.

I always figured that you don't cover your boat in the summer where the rain and the sun are beating down on it. So is it a big deal if the cockpit fills up with snow then melts and freezes? I have fake teak there. Biggest issue might be winch where water could collect and freeze? The boom is exposed, but don't think that is a big deal?

Shrinkwrap is 27/ft at my yard this winter, so about 900 for my 33' boat. Don't like the cost, but HATE that I am using a ton of plastic that I really don't know how recyclable it is. I make people bring water bottles on my boat in the summer rather using plastic store bought water, I feel quite hypocritical using a ton of plastic shrink wrap UNLESS it is really helping.

Is it really helping my boat?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 06:32   #120

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Reviving this thread. New boat. No real wood. Up in New England, so definitely get snow and cold weather, though boat yards are on the bay where that is moderated a bit as the water never freezes.

I always figured that you don't cover your boat in the summer where the rain and the sun are beating down on it. So is it a big deal if the cockpit fills up with snow then melts and freezes? I have fake teak there. Biggest issue might be winch where water could collect and freeze? The boom is exposed, but don't think that is a big deal?

Shrinkwrap is 27/ft at my yard this winter, so about 900 for my 33' boat. Don't like the cost, but HATE that I am using a ton of plastic that I really don't know how recyclable it is. I make people bring water bottles on my boat in the summer rather using plastic store bought water, I feel quite hypocritical using a ton of plastic shrink wrap UNLESS it is really helping.

Is it really helping my boat?

The number 1 reason to cover your boat over the winter is to minimize that damage water can do when it freezes and thaws around scuppers, drains, fittings etc. any spot where water can collect.

The cover also takes the sun abuse for the winter instead of the decks of the boat. Makes any work easier as you have a covered space to get into before your enter the boat.

I personally don't shrinkwrap as I think its both a waste of resources and money! I have a reusable frame (with a door) and use a good agricultural bale tarp. They cost a bit more but I generally get 4 seasons out of a $350 tarp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter_2020.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	279979
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote