Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 20:02   #1

Boat: Northstar 80/20
Send a message via AIM to yesthatsue Send a message via Yahoo to yesthatsue Send a message via Skype™ to yesthatsue
Wind vanes and stern anchors

Both the anchors on the bow roller on my new boat are on the light side for the boat, so I was going to upgrade at least one of them to something heavier and more modern. Which gives me an extra anchor that's one size down, which is available to set up on a stern roller.

But I've got windvane gear, mounted (as it's supposed to be) on the centreline. How do stern anchors and vane gear interact? Where do stern rollers get set, anyway? Do you set your stern anchor off of one of the corners of the transom? And how do you avoid damaging the vane gear if the boat swings?
yesthatsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 20:27   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Wind vanes and stern anchors

Is needing a stern anchor in the Toronto area a very regular occurrence? The boats that I've seen with permanent stern anchor setups have been high latitude expedition boats, and some cruising boats in the Mediterranean. I think if your thinking of just having one to use on rare occasions, it doesn't make sense to set up a permanent roller setup.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 20:50   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Nice boat. Always liked S&S designs and solid built. If you had an Alubat or twin keels this would be easy. First, why do you want to put what was a main anchor as a stern anchor. Sounds too heavy. Maybe a fortress that you could take out with a dinghy. But why and when. You’re not on a flat sand bar in Holland.
You do not want to end up with the wind or a strong current on your beam.
If you must use a stern anchor, attach it at the bow, lead it along the windward side and tie it off with something you can cut off at the stern and don’t go to sleep. At the bow, be prepared to let it go completely with a buoy to pick it up later. You do not want to be attached by your propeller. Winds and currents change. Windvanes are not designed for anchor loads. I’ve used two anchors off the bow with a huge swivel but it’s a special anchoring case and a bunch of gear.
I’ve seen one alu yacht with wind vane and a ready to deploy stern anchor but he had bunch of strong padeyes, a stern windlass and a kind of extra Davit with a big block like a lobster boat. His windvane was made to be disassembled.
A lot of design work and money. Fortress. The chain went into the hull I guess on a power drum. Everything very well designed so I guess it can be done.
I’ll see if I can get a photo but other solutions will pop up here.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a sleepy manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 21:26   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have a vane (Aries) and have run a stern anchor on occasion. My stern anchor is not permanently mounted, with no roller. It is run from my stern side cleats through a deck scupper. It is a bit off the centre line.

Since a stern anchor is usually set in opposition to a forward anchor of some sort, I try and maintain sufficient tension on the stern anchor rode to avoid it swinging onto my vane.

If I were stern anchoring for longer periods, or I could not maintain the tension, I'd run a long bridle out beyond my vane.
Old 31-08-2020, 16:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Okay, not the best pix.
On my Cal Cruising 46 I have a Sayes Wind Vane mounted offset with a link to the hydraulic system. Center I have a roller for my 66 pound CQR, then a Ideal chain windlass mounted dead center.. It has worked perfectly for the 38 years we have owned SATORI, 14 years living aboard and cruising the western hemisphere.

I have the sail off the Sayes rig as it it "H" season, but I will dig up some other pix. We sailed non-stop from the Panama Canal to Mobile, AL, broad reaching all the way. Later we sailed dead down wind from Puerto Rica to Key West. Love our Sayes Rig!

I will post some additional pix if anyone requests.

Tom & Bobbie, Bayou Chico, Pensacola, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bsh sale 046.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	222409  
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, wind, wind vane