Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2021, 16:54   #751
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
my top speed helming my own yacht was 29.6k...and yes things do get smoother and quieter at speed...but things go wrong awfully quickly too !

cheers,

We’ve had ours over 16 kts so far and the previous owner hit 26.5 kts, but to me easily pushed hulls benefits are good light wind performance and the ability to average good speeds with minimum stress to boat, rig and crew.
I remember an old friend describing the ride on his performance cat as being a magic carpet ride, as the boat tiptoes from wave top to wave top. So true.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 17:19   #752

Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Since I deal in reality, I would choose a mono hull strictly because of the the original cost and up keep that I could afford. My first two boats were multi's but I have crewed for over 20 years on both mono's and multi's. I would rather crew on a multi strictly because of the more comfortable motion it provides for an older sailor. Comfortable at 18kts plus many times on last crew from Cape Town to Annapolis Md. on 50' St. Francis.
I am planning on getting another boat and it will be an older mono; it will be less expensive to buy, maintain, haul out and berth.

18kts somewhere between St. Lucia and the Bahamas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160824_181222.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	248417  
Old 16-11-2021, 21:34   #753

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That’s a surprising statement. I’ve heard a lot of things about Catamarans, but I certainly have never heard of anyone that was terrified of them. Lol. They are so benign. Usually people get terrified when a boat heels. Not when it just sits there bouncing around as it travels along.

Was it one of these or something?

I could see some people being scared of something like this.

I don’t know if my perspective is changing, or if the forum has changed, but it seems to have changed from the cruisers forum to the Fear Forum. Everybody out here is scared of their own shadow.

Isn’t a moth a foiling monohull?
Old 17-11-2021, 03:36   #754
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
my top speed helming my own yacht was 29.6k...and yes things do get smoother and quieter at speed...but things go wrong awfully quickly too !

cheers,
Wow! Amazing speeds!
.....but I don't get how things get smoother and quieter at speed.
Please explain thanks?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 04:24   #755

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Wow! Amazing speeds!
.....but I don't get how things get smoother and quieter at speed.
Please explain thanks?
I can field this one.

I have over pushed a catamaran or two in my time. Strictly running. Not any other point of sail.

So, when you are being blasted along in a catamaran, if you are in choppy conditions, the thing starts to just go wave top to wave top. Feels like a car running down the road. The mono tends to go down into each little trough. The cat stays up on top of the chop, and smooths out a bit.

It’s sort of like semi planing.

You know when there’s a little bit of chop in the harbor and you get your dinghy up to speed and it just sits on top kind of bouncing around a bit, but not really having much motion into each little trough? The Catamaran does the same thing.

Of course, this only applies to chop. It certainly doesn’t apply to actual ocean waves.

My most memorable time doing this was in Delaware Bay. There was an incredible West wind that was knocking glass out of some of the skyscrapers in New York City at the same time. It had me skipping like a stone from wave top to wave top all the way down Delaware bay.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 04:28   #756

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Isn’t a moth a foiling monohull?
That’s right. It is. A very cool design.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 04:51   #757

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Wow very interesting.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 05:43   #758

Boat: Tayana 47

I realize there are cats that will do the double digit speeds being discussed here but I’ve chartered a cat in the Caribbean and no way was it anything like a magic carpet and no way would it do 10 knots. So there is a wide variety of cats and a wide range of cat performance. I don’t think most cruisers on a 38’ cruising cat along with all their gear ever approach the speeds being mentioned here. And in the open ocean, in the winds that would be necessary to achieve such high speeds there would be waves that would make it dangerous.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 05:51   #759
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I realize there are cats that will do the double digit speeds being discussed here but I’ve chartered a cat in the Caribbean and no way was it anything like a magic carpet and no way would it do 10 knots. So there is a wide variety of cats and a wide range of cat performance. I don’t think most cruisers on a 38’ cruising cat along with all their gear ever approach the speeds being mentioned here. And in the open ocean, in the winds that would be necessary to achieve such high speeds there would be waves that would make it dangerous.
As I said.. it was a delivery with no gear on board.. all the previous owners accumulated weight had been loaded into a large wagon and taken away.
I've hit over 18kts on a 9metre Catalac so 14+kts on an L38 is no achievement.. just surfing baby..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 06:01   #760

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
loving monohulls is perhaps a "got bitten" thing.

sailing a monohull can be the sweetest thing. the motion can be so pleasant.

looking at their lines: some are just exquisitely designed and built, real beauties.

layouts: sometimes there is a lot of thought, a lot of good ideas that goes into the space-use below.

and on the horizon, there is nothing else (beyond a dolphin jumping before the moon or something akin) i'd rather see than a sailboat making way.

admittedly, i've noted how i do not even notice catamarans. it is as though they are invisible to me. not even the slightest attraction... curious that!

Kind of like buying a Ferrari to go camping in the back woods, instead of an ugly old jeep.

Those Ferrari's are beautiful, the sound of the engine, the visceral feel when you stomp on the pedal...just not nearly as practical.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 06:03   #761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
Honestly, I just have never cared for boats that are most stable when they are upside-down.
So you prefer upright sitting on the bottom?
Old 17-11-2021, 06:14   #762
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great lakes and Valhalla....give it a Rest
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 06:24   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great lakes and Valhalla....give it a Rest
Make silly comments, get silly responses.
Old 17-11-2021, 06:33   #764
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why do you guys like monohulls so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So you prefer upright sitting on the bottom?
That's why I like bilge keels..
Run aground.???
Break out the tea service Betty, let's look like we meant it, pass the scones and jam up..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 06:39   #765
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post

We can achieve 10 kts in about 11-12 kts of wind, but then we are cruise loaded which slows us down a little!
As others have pointed out, so many different varieties of both catamaran and monohull. Some sail well while others are pigs but can carry a huge load, and this holds true for both cats and monos.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull