Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2024, 11:57   #61

Boat: C&C 40 AC
Re: Who has cruised blue water with a non gimballed stove?

Last 4 years on a Gulfstar with a non gimbled 2 burner and small oven, yes, you can, just the heavy seas are problematic for anything other than a kettle on top but high sides pans in the oven work fine
ikebartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 12:26   #62

My gimbaled stoves were most often locked in 'non gimbal'. I admit though, my longest continuous passages have been mostly a week or less.
When the question asks "blue water...." my mind goes to more "rough weather" than to "a continuous perfect tack all the way to the marquesas in 15 knots of wind"
Most of my blue water was a boat being thrown around a bit and a gimbaled stove swinging heavily at times if there were seas, not just easily changing it's angle. As such, I did not try to cook and latched the stove.
If we wanted to try to cook we would unlatch it when things calmed down a bit and had deep pans.
My larger boats would have been more appropriate for cooking much on an angle, but at that point I was mostly island hopping!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 12:32   #63

Boat: Modified CD 36

The key to cooking offshore on a fixed mount stove are deep pots, strong pot holders, and the use of a pressure cooker when necessary.
stone0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 12:52   #64

Remember burns are the number one injury off shore, I did a delivery with a fixed stove, never again.
gregfreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 13:37   #65

I have a gimballed stove, however after cruising across the Pacific single handed, in 14 years I can't recall cooking underway. I purchase or cook passage meals before departure and freeze them. To eat, I defrost and reheat in microwave. Other meals are sandwiches and other cold foods. My longest time at sea was 21 days from Galapagos to Marquesas. All other passages were less than 12-14 days.
W5PAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 15:25   #66

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The reason many of us lock our gimbals with a bit of pre-heel ( as required) is that many ( all?) models are top heavy when you put a pot or two on top. To work correctly they need an appropriate number of dive weights in the oven to lower the CofG.
Old 09-02-2024, 16:17   #67

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Scott View Post
I have just completed a multi thousand hour restoration of a Morgan 35 for an extended global cruise and am looking for feedback from anyone who has sailed at sea using a non gimballed cook stove. I am looking a diesel cook stove because it only uses diesel from the tank and can be used as a heater for the boat due to space constraints(it will burn 1.3 gallons per 24hrs on low).
So, have you been able to cook on one of these at sea?
If I understand correctly you intend to use a diesel space heater to cook on.?
Either way, on a Mono you need a gymballed whatever... It's hard enough to cook even with a gymballed stove when the boat heels.
Icarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 20:51   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Scott View Post
I have just completed a multi thousand hour restoration of a Morgan 35 for an extended global cruise and am looking for feedback from anyone who has sailed at sea using a non gimballed cook stove. I am looking a diesel cook stove because it only uses diesel from the tank and can be used as a heater for the boat due to space constraints(it will burn 1.3 gallons per 24hrs on low).
So, have you been able to cook on one of these at sea?
There are several kinds of diesel stoves. The Dickinson/Sigmar type would not be a good choice as mentioned by many.

But a Wallas stovetop with potholders would work and not heat you out of the cabin in warm areas. They give off about the same heat when on as a propane stove or less.

The op hasn't been back since his original 2 posts but has not said which type of stove he was thinking of using.

Here is a Wallas stovetop. Potholders not shown but available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wallas.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	286164  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 02:58   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The reason many of us lock our gimbals with a bit of pre-heel ( as required) is that many ( all?) models are top heavy when you put a pot or two on top. To work correctly they need an appropriate number of dive weights in the oven to lower the CofG.
Agree. I've always wished the gimbals were higher up, even above the burners, so that a big pot o' slop would not damp the action so much.
I'll give the dive weights a try, though.
Old 10-02-2024, 03:11   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacap View Post
I worked on an old wood schooner with a diesel stove for a whole year. CA-HI-CA. I never smelled like diesel. It’s not a problem. It was great for heating the main saloon and galley.
Our nervous system has evolved, to become progressively less sensitive to a stimulus, the longer it persists.
This enables us to concentrate on the newest sensations, that are more likely to be an opportunity or a threat.
We also have an olfactory memory, that discards smells that we have experienced recently. This means that you don’t notice the smell of your boat, when you come home from shopping or work, but it may smell strange, when you come back from prolonged absence.
If you smell an odour for long enough, you eventually stop noticing it. This is because, prolonged exposure to a strong smell, is believed to saturate the olfactory epithelium with odour molecules, to the point where information is no longer delivered to the brain.
This is called 'olfactory/odour adaptation', or ‘olfactory fatigue’.
Anosmia [may be temporary or permanent] means loss of the sense of smell, while hyposmia [a key indicator of COVID-19] means reduced smell sensitivity.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 05:36   #71

Boat: Joshua, Moitessier, 12m

Sorry for not replying to your question directly.
I have strong feelings about going to sea only with a stove on a gimble. Two good reasons:
on a long passage I find essential to eat good meals for the crews mental stability (I wear a rubber apron and even rubber boots),
at anchor anywhere but especially in the Med where boating etiquette is often ignored you can get a nasty wake even on a heavy blue water 12 m steel ketch, without mentioning unexpected steep ferry wakes in exposed anchorages.
Happy sailing without scalding burns.
wizz0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 06:18   #72

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

When underway I use a Sea Swing style Force 10 propane stove like as linked below. Sadly I don't think Force 10 has them anymore but I think Bremer is the manufacturer. The stove is dual axis gimballed and has a secure pot holder. Tight fitting lid is essential. I did have one pot I bent the lip out on so it was a good snug fit. You don't want to try cooking on a flat stove underway.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/12/...es2/B-4-wr.jpg
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 13:57   #73

Well sorry we have no experience with a Diesel stove. Have always used propane or “cooking gas mix” in some countries. Always able to get it even in very remote countries.
On our 44’ monohull, would not want to cruse without one. Have cruised many thousands of ocean miles. Not only is it good for cooking but also for a level, fairly non- spillable work platform for cooking, etc.
it is critical to have it properly gymbaled and weighted (ballasted). If so it makes a very valuable appliance to cook and work on. Very dependable and quite hot. Yes it takes a propane tank but????? Nothings free. If youre going the hi-tech route plenty of lithium and solar for induction cooking seems the modern route.

Again we would not want to cruise with out proper gimballing.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cruise, stove, water