Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 07:48   #1

Which boat would you choose out of 3

Hi,
just joined the forum and I was wondering out of these three boats what is the better one, I am looking for something that will preform better than coastal day sailers, I live in Northeast UK, so northsea is the place of play, I feel from the research I have done I need a tight boat that will point fairly well

Colvic sailer 29
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/296-Colvic-Sailor-blue-water-sailing-yacht-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwt1BQ4vUwoZP!~~60_12.JPG

Elizabethan 29
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Elizabethan-29-Sailing-Yacht-1982-Berqqvist-model-/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!pQFCpQQYMw6BQ3!u8tolg~~60_57.JPG

Contest 31
http://cdn.boatshed.com/autoimage-14...Pic_HullCU.jpg

this is on boatshed requires login

kind regards
Paul
paulbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:22   #2
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
Re: Which boat would you choose out of 3

First we need more details. Like, what kind of sailing are you going to do. It looks like you could just be doing day sailing/racing, or you could be doing some short cruising, but you could be thinking about long term cruising. All of these factor into the decision.

Second we need more details on the boats in question. Pictures that only show the hull do not do justice to the purchase of a boat. What kind of rig? Condition etc. All three of these boats are used, which means that the condition is a huge variable.

What is the displacement of each? Since the first and third have a fin keel, they will probably be significantly lighter than the middle one. Which will effect performance. Again it goes back to how you will use the boat.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:58   #3

Thanks Nes,
My intention is to cruise long term, mostly the med, but I would like the ability to go further afield, I now work full time on the net so location is not an issue, all the boats are sloop rigged, I was asking the question from the point of view that all the above are ready to go condition and have passed a survey, I understand used boats all differ with regards to upgrade of kit etc, I was wondering from a build quality and reputation point of view.

other details

Colvic
Dimensions:
LOA 9.00 m
LWL 7.32 m
Beam 3.2m
Draught 1.6 m
Displacement 10,000 lbs.
Ballast 4,500 lbs.

elizabethan
I dont know, but I will find out

Contest
LOA 9.54m (31'4") LWL 7.60m (24'11") Beam 2.80m (9'2") Draft Min 1.20m (3'11") Draft Max 1.20m (3'11") Displacement 3,800kg (8,379.0lbs)

thanks for your interest
Paul
Old 09-01-2013, 09:36   #4

It was no Contest. I'd Take the Contest.
Gorgeous lines. I looked at multiple examples of all three on Yachtworld, and based upon all factors I'd snag a Contest way before the other two. The Elizabethans seem to be outfitted with saildrives which are worth their weight only in shards of broken beer bottles, which you'll be downing when you have to repair one of them.
Saline Canine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:57   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbryne View Post
Thanks Nes,
My intention is to cruise long term, mostly the med, but I would like the ability to go further afield, I now work full time on the net so location is not an issue, all the boats are sloop rigged, I was asking the question from the point of view that all the above are ready to go condition and have passed a survey, I understand used boats all differ with regards to upgrade of kit etc, I was wondering from a build quality and reputation point of view.

other details

Colvic
Dimensions:
LOA 9.00 m
LWL 7.32 m
Beam 3.2m
Draught 1.6 m
Displacement 10,000 lbs.
Ballast 4,500 lbs.

elizabethan

Contest
LOA 9.54m (31'4") LWL 7.60m (24'11") Beam 2.80m (9'2") Draft Min 1.20m (3'11") Draft Max 1.20m (3'11") Displacement 3,800kg (8,379.0lbs)

thanks for your interest
Paul
You might want to confirm the values for the Contest 31, this source, CONTEST 31 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com, has different values. It may be that the ad incorrectly indicates the type of boat or one or both sets of data are incorrect.
In either case the values for displacement and sail area indicate that the boat is reasonably canvassed for the UK area, but significantly under-canvassed for any place with plenty of light weather.

Values for the Elizabethan are at ELIZABETHAN 29 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com and conflicting data is at Elizabethan 29 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales
This boat was originally built as a racer and is pretty limited in living volume and may be a bit under-built regardless of which set of data you look at. The highly raked rudder is a holdover from handicapping rules from the early part of the 1900's that have little or no value in actual sailing.

For the Colvic, this site, Colvic Sailer 29 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales, indicates that a wide range of companies did final fitout so quality varies considerably, though the basic structure should be fine. Overall there is more structural weight in the boat and almost as much living volume as the Contest. Just on the numbers and what little I have read this is the boat I would be most interested in.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Which boat would you choose out of 3

The Contest... good boats and this will carry you well...
Go for it and enjoy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:13   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbryne View Post
elizabethan
Elizabethan 29 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

If not already, that Broker's archive is worth a peruse .

Also similar is a Trintella 29 - same broker, and one actually for sale!

Yacht for sale - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

I would say all have merits - to my eye the Elizabethan the prettier , but the Colvic and Contest both beamier. For Contest, 2 foot on length and also on beam goes a long way......

My main hestiation on the Colvic would be build, lots done DIY and by multiple boatyards (sold as bare hulls by Colvic in the 70's) - to my eye a bit middle of the road in looks / design.

IMO also worth a long hard look are the 4 Westerly 31 versions (Pentland / Renown etc) - pick yer own keel, rig and aft cabin (or not) version. Look a bit caravanny , but sail far better than looks - and a good seaboat . Of course like all the boats on your list getting a decent one will be the key to happiness - a good Colvic better than a bad Contest!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:30   #8

thanks for the replies,
I have a mind to go with the contest, however I found a later 31HT model designed by Dick Zaal , the boat has been it a bit more expensive (extra £5000) heres the detail

The Contest 31 HT is a very solid and good sailing design by Dick Zaal. The ship has a beautiful flush deck with ample work space. The cockpit offers plenty of space for several people. The ship is widely known for its excellent sailing properties than water. Because of its shallow keel are many places accessible. This boat is in excellent condition with its modern engine and all-new underwater with warranty until 2017. General: Yard built ship at Conyplex, displacement 5060 kilo with a ballast of 2550 kilo, wheel steering, teak in cockpit, 6 beds over point, lounge and dog cage. Underwater ship is completely renovated (Hot-Vac method) in 2012 and has warranty until 2017 and with CopperCoat so need to apply antifouling for the coming years. Rigging: Headrigging, aluminum mast and boom, mainsail 1998 with triple binding reef, Genoa 1 from 2003 and Genoa 3 both on furler, all halyards led into the cockpit with beautiful double stoppers, bridgeclearance 14.50 meters Engine: Volvo Penta MD2030, diesel, 3 cylinder, indirectly cooled, 29 hp, built in 2003, propellorshaft water lubricated, 2 blade fixed propeller, stainless steel tank 100 liters Equipment and electricity: Starter battery 60 Ah, battery 100 Ah, Battery charger 25 Ah, compass at helm, Clipper Duet log and depth from 2011, Nasa Target anemometer (wind direction deviates), Furuno P32 GPS from 2012, Navman 7200 DSC VHF radio from 2008, JRC 1000 radar, Autohelm 3000 autopilot, Clarion radio / CD Gas and water: 200 liters water tank, electric water pressure, 2 burner stove halfcardanisch, 2 gas bottles in separate gas locker, Volvo Penta diesel hot air heating, Jabsco marine toilet

thanks again guys, the quantity of boats available is astonishing and mind numbing, just trying to get it down to 1-3 builders and go from there.

regards
Paul
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sail them all and figure out which makes you happy--only you can pick out your boat--is like looking for a spousal unit.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 20:13   #10

Boat: Sabre 402

You are posting on a primarily US-based forum. Some of us may have actually seen a Contest at some point. Colvics are less well known here, though they may have a good reputation. Elizabethans sound like what Drake sailed against the Spainiards.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 16:58   #11

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Contest. And it's no contest.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 04:37   #12

Boat: Dufour 485

Paul,

I have a contest 31, and it is a nicely appointed well mannered boat. It looks like the first example you posted (not the 31HT) has had some work done and the topsides have been repainted (originally white). Ours is a 1972, and still in great shape, beyone the basic care and feeding a vessel may require. These are solid boats, very well built, and actually designed for the environment you live in now (I am in Virginia).

I agree with the earlier comments -- the Contest sounds like a winner!

Gerard
Citizen Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 06:16   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Of the three, I would pick the Contest, caeteris paribus.

I would pick it because I think it promises to go farthest, easiest.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 10:26   #14

North Sea you say! Then I'd prefer the one with the full keel. You might be spending some time hove to and from my experience a full keel heaves to much better than a fin..They also are more directionally stable and generally have a better motion at sea. As a Cape Dory owner and sometime charter of fin keels I've experienced the difference and am very prejudice towards a full keel.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 06:15   #15
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Contest
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote