Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 09:37   #16

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Re: Where (and if) to mount a trumpet horn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
If he's going to NS he absolutely needs a mounted horn that can sound automatically every two minutes. Trying to do that with a hand air horn isn't going to work - I used mine for 10 hours consecutively last summer in a particularly bad patch of fog.
Yeah this is exactly the issue, the automatic feature is really the key. Thanks for articulating it better than I did.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:52   #17

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter

My electric horn has been working fine under the radar on the mast for 15 years. Buy a top quality single horn.

A loud-hailer is inadequate for that purpose. I installed one years ago and have never used it except to occasionally startle the crew.

When installing the horn, tip it down slightly so the trumpet does not hold water.

A horn is needed in fog but is also important for signaling.

Canister horns are damaging to the ears and not suitable for fog as the blasts are every 2 minutes. My longest time in dense fog was 48 hours flown the Pacific coast. Also, if you need to signal another boat in an emergency it may not be at hand when you need it. If you do use an air horn up the mast it may not work as you desire because the hose can act as a pressure accumulator if it is too flexible.

In summary: marine grade electric horn, mounted up the mast where it won't foul lines, controlled by horn button and a foghorn device like Fogmate.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_voyager View Post
In summary: marine grade electric horn, mounted up the mast where it won't foul lines, controlled by horn button and a foghorn device like Fogmate.
Can you tell me what horn you have, since you seem happy with it? And why do you consider the loudhailer inadequate for the same purpose? Is it not as loud?

I have no real need to broadcast my voice over the speaker, but it seems to me that there wouldn't be much difference between an electric horn and a decent (~40 watt) loudhailer, just additional features and no need for a separate switch or fogmate controller. Is this wrong?

The compressor driven horns are looking less and less appealing. Even though I said I could live with it on the pilothouse, putting it up the mast would be much better.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:23   #19

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd do it on the spreader, and unless I'm mistaken, your running an air hose to the horn, not wires, small point except the hose may require a larger hole.
There's a limit on the length of the hose for the horn to work properly. For the horn I used, it's 4 feet. No limit on the length of the wire to the compressor as long as it's large enough.
Old 06-12-2016, 13:26   #20

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Can you tell me what horn you have, since you seem happy with it? And why do you consider the loudhailer inadequate for the same purpose? Is it not as loud?

I have no real need to broadcast my voice over the speaker, but it seems to me that there wouldn't be much difference between an electric horn and a decent (~40 watt) loudhailer, just additional features and no need for a separate switch or fogmate controller. Is this wrong?

The compressor driven horns are looking less and less appealing. Even though I said I could live with it on the pilothouse, putting it up the mast would be much better.
I do not remember the brand of horn as it was 15 years ago. I bought it at Fisheries Supply and it was one of the major marine brands. The FISCO website shows a number of electric horns from about $60 to $100. If you still like air, there are solenoid air valves, compressors, etc. but I think an air horn is not practical on a sailboat. They do sound good but would need electric solenoid valves, a compressor and air tank, etc.

The loudhailer is just not loud enough. A good horn is greater than 100db.
pacific_voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 13:40   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_voyager View Post
............. If you still like air, there are solenoid air valves, compressors, etc. but I think an air horn is not practical on a sailboat. They do sound good but would need electric solenoid valves, a compressor and air tank, etc.
The air horn I just installed (Marinco, I believe) uses a small compressor that only runs when the horn button is pushed. No air storage, no solenoid valve, etc.) The only installation difference between this and an electric horn is, the wires go to the compressor and an air hose goes from the compressor to the horn.

In addition to the boat horn, I keep a canned air horn near the helm for the times when a warning needs to be directed at someone.
Old 06-12-2016, 13:47   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Standard Horizon PA Deck Horn / Hailer / PA Speaker

This is the one I have.
Old 06-12-2016, 14:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Do you use it as a signal and/or fog horn? Do you ever wish it was louder?
Old 06-12-2016, 14:56   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Do you use it as a signal and/or fog horn? Do you ever wish it was louder?
I use it as a foghorn/signal almost entirely, I don't think I've used the PA function at all on purpose.

Noise level seems loud, on full blast it makes it hard to talk in the cockpit to someone next to you (it's mounted on front of mast). Never wished it was louder.
Old 06-12-2016, 15:13   #25

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
pa on spreaders is good. out of way, not exactly in anyone's ears, and functional.
is how this boat was set up
pa is more useful in usa than anywhere else. here, it is only useful for wishing folks happy holidays. or maybe arranging a barter for shrimps with a large camaronero...
i removed mine.
I had two PA Horns and the one on the spreader was ripped off and blown away in the 1st hurricane. Horn on the aft radar stub mast has been through 6 hurricanes and still functioning.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum