Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 08:10   #61

What other sailboats have THIS layout?

Hahaha. All the french boats mentioned have it on starboard just to piss the British off? This is always mentioned in yachting uk reviews.

But yeh right of way undersail.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:33   #62

Boat: X442
Re: What other sailboats have THIS layout?

Linear galley, starboard side... it never occurred to me as potentially problematic (until this thread!) having sailed on yachts with both layouts. Only thing is I find the central seating unit a bit... large and in the way at times, especially when sailing with different sized genoas packed in their sausage bags.

But anyway, now with a furling genoa, I find my layout, similar to the OP's, quite OK. Also mustn't forget boats used to be a lot smaller (these days a 40 footer is the new 30 footer of the 80's) so getting into and out of these V berths today is a luxury compared to the squeezing that 6 people on a 32 footer would be required to do! Was romantic though.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 17:58   #63

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So who here in this thread knows why the galley should be on the port side?

So you can be on starboard tack (stand on vessel) when cooking on the comfortable tack. Clearly Tartan/s&s knew that with my boat
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 18:22   #64

Boat: Cape Dory 28

When you are on the hook or on a mooring, the V-berth gets all of the anchor rode noise / or when the wind drops, the noise of the mooring buoy bumping into the hull. Stern state rooms are definitely better if you are a light sleeper.
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 19:46   #65

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dancer View Post
OP here—

I want to thank everyone, again, for their responses. While I'm sure everyone's specific preferences and needs tend to dictate what works best for them, it's also very interesting to learn what sort of features make sense more universally.

Our liveaboard period will not be spent in open waters; we'll be moored in a marina with perhaps only the occasional weekend day cruise. This will go on for several months and after that the boat will remain a weekend cruiser/pleasure craft. Perhaps that changes the scope of what would work for us?

Here are my main takeaways from what you've all said, so far:

-The type of layout I posted about is indicative of a charter vessel (no way I would ever have known that without asking! Wow!) and therefore the importance of checking a used boat's history is greater, because it might have added wear and not have been used as gently. Would we go as far as to say this layout is a red flag in the used market?

-The forward-aft galley layout is impractical for nearly every situation except one where the boat is stationary in a marina. I like the versatility and efficiency of a U-shaped galley anyway, but I also like my (architect) wife's point about ease of movement through an open-plan salon (saloon?) and the family-style orientation of the couches to dinette in the plan I posted about above. So, that's something I think/hope we could be flexible on.

-As we don't really expect to be spending too many nights on the open water, the V-berth issue with regard to vertical movement of the boat isn't a huge concern. Someone mentioned the difficulty in changing sheets on a wider berth and, well, my wife and I like each other enough so I think we'd be willing to put up with the extra effort.
By now, I think you got many more opinions than members responding

Focusing on YOUR sailing plans, this layout is ok if you really need three sleeping cabins. If not, two cabins configuration make more sense, with a larger, more comfortable aft cabin, larger head/shower and a better galley setup. The only reason linear galleys were made is to enable two separate aft cabins - as you've heard by now, mainly for charters and for families with more kids, guests etc. It is a very common with charter boats.

A marina queen and a day sailing boat can be ok with almost any layout. If you can get an "owner layout" (e.g. two cabins) it will also be more comfortable in the marina and for sure, the right layout for offshore cruising.
Old 16-10-2020, 20:09   #66

For a liveaboard a Decksaloon is probably the way to go. I'm an architect as well and these boats all have layouts that let in a lot of light and views which architects love.

Dehler 41ds
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...41-ds-3713833/

Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 43 DS
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...odyssey-43-ds/

for more money the Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40 is also great.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...on-40-3614028/
Old 16-10-2020, 21:47   #67
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
So you can be on starboard tack (stand on vessel) when cooking on the comfortable tack. Clearly Tartan/s&s knew that with my boat
Seems you are the only one in the thread who knows So yes, you want the boiling hit pots of food below you so that when there is an oopsy moment, you don’t get burned. This means you want to be the stand on vessel while cooking and have the galley on the port side.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 21:52   #68

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If you have side by side aft sleeping quarters as shown in the original post ( they can't be called 'cabins' ) you really do need to be very very good friends with your shipmates as a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood really does not give any privacy at all....

Two heads? A wonderful idea... as stated somewhere above it gives flexability... one in use as the bog, the other as the shower or wet locker .... and when one pump fails as one day it surely will you have a reserve.

This is a sistership to mine..

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...alord-3711344/

My aftercabin is set up as shown in this plan with a double on the stbd side... port side is stowage.

https://vientoaparente.es/wp-content...d-25289-10.jpg

This hasn't been modified but you get the idea of the space in the aft cabin.

https://photos.inautia.fr/barcosOcas...852564567x.jpg

The layout works well '2 up' in port, at anchor and on passage... also works OK with up to 6 pob in total.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 22:03   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Seems you are the only one in the thread who knows So yes, you want the boiling hit pots of food below you so that when there is an oopsy moment, you don’t get burned. This means you want to be the stand on vessel while cooking and have the galley on the port side.
I think most people know this? I remember reading about it in pretty much all the traditional cruising books, you know the ones written in the wooden boat era.

But do people really tack or gybe so they can cook on the right tack?

In a linear galley you can just stand to the side of the cooker.
Old 16-10-2020, 22:08   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
I think most people know this? I remember reading about it in pretty much all the traditional cruising books, you know the ones written in the wooden boat era.

But do people really tack or gybe so they can cook on the right tack?

In a linear galley you can just stand to the side of the cooker.
Well, I knew but thought I would just be polite and wait for someone who could introduce Cockcroft into the discussion...........
Old 16-10-2020, 22:17   #71

Personally I think a safe seagoing galley can designed on other side and in either format.
Old 16-10-2020, 22:21   #72

Quote:
I find it hilarious how this whole port side thing seems to be an obsession of the British, while having it on the starboard side seems to be an obsession of the French.

Bernard Moitissier's Joshua has it on the starboard side.

Personally I think a safe seagoing galley can designed on other side and in either format.
Well, you can't get much more British than a Westerly and my galley is to starboard.........

Mind you the designer sounded a bit 'french' .... but he wasn't....
Old 16-10-2020, 22:36   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Well, you can't get much more British than a Westerly and my galley is to starboard.........

Mind you the designer sounded a bit 'french' .... but he wasn't....
I was thinking your Laurent Giles, Lyle C hess. They seem to have a set a tone for a lot of others.
Old 16-10-2020, 23:02   #74

Quote:
I was thinking your Laurent Giles, Lyle C hess. They seem to have a set a tone for a lot of others.
My Vertue... a 'real' Laurent Giles design from the 1930's ... had the galley...such as it was.... to port.

The only Westerly that Jack Laurent Giles actually designed was the Centaur.... it has the galley... linear no less... to starboard.
The rest of the Westerlys from the Centaur on and up until Ed Dubois started designing them were the work of Laurent Giles and Partners after his death. Most but not all were galley to stbd.

The earlier Westerlys , designed by Rayner, Butler and Proctor.... were galley to port.
Old 16-10-2020, 23:17   #75

Cool! You had a Vertue? I grew up lusting over it.

All the Catalinas i've been on seem to have it on the port side too. It definitely seem like a trend the english speaking world was on at one stage.

Probably because of the westsail 32s and the Pardeys which a lot of us read about in the early days.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat