Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 07:34   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: What are the cloths called laced inside the stanchions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Companion View Post
Thanks so much.... We have a solid stainless top rail and a timber toe rail..so I thought I could lace to stainless eyelet fittings screwed into the toe rail and lace all round (once I've finished the sewing and the hole punching).... take your advice about removing for the ocean passages though, although we don't seem to get too wet in the aft. Any idea of how far apart I should punch the eyelets ?
The advice to remove them for ocean passages is questionable, at best, as were the responses that confused lee cloths with weather cloths. (Unless someone has developed a new type of boat that takes spray on the lee side rather than the weather side.)
Old 17-06-2013, 07:44   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

If you have solid stainless supports ie a rail , they could of course be left on. Where they are typically added to conventional stanchions and lifelines, Ive personally seen the resulting damage that can be caused by them getting a bad clout from a wave. Stanchions/lifelines were never really designed for them.

Quote:
s were the responses that confused lee cloths with weather cloths.
The OP asked the question in all innocence, irrespective of the nomenclature, all posters know what the OP meant. even people like me , trying to remember the term I heard in the US ( weather cloths) , remembered it as lee cloths , which of course we all know what they are.

technically of course both side of the .boat are fitted with dodgers, so actually weather cloths are rather incorrect, unless Bash you fit yours as you tacK LOL.

dave
Old 17-06-2013, 07:51   #18

Boat: Lagoon 440

Windeage cloths would be a closer name, or rail removers in heavy weather.....
Old 17-06-2013, 08:09   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
and excellent for nude sun bathing...
I am sure that I am not the only person who would wish to thank you for your consideration for others.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 08:25   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I am sure that I am not the only person who would wish to thank you for your consideration for others.........
for boatman yes a tremendous boon , for certain nubiles, a great disadvantage for the rest of us
dave
Old 17-06-2013, 10:38   #21

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Weather cloths or spray curtains.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 11:25   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

No, no, no! Trunks are boots. Hoods are bonnets. Dodgers are spray hoods.

Guess it depends on where you live. I've called them lee cloths but think weather cloths would be favorable. Because lee cloths are for keeping you in your bunk or billet. Of course, I've called the quarterberth an afterberth as well and of course that doesn't set to well with pediatricians.

kind regards,
Old 17-06-2013, 12:04   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

If they are called rail removers somewhere then I say talk to your boat builder again!

;-)

Ours (topside's height cs. 2ft) sailed rtw. I'd rather be protected 99% of the time and fixing my rails the remaining 1% than be exposed 100% of the time.

The story is different for those of us that spend their passages locked inside. But, if so, why leave the office at all?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 18:54   #24

All this talk of bent stanchions is the reason that weather cloths should only be attached with shock cord. When (not if) you ever get broad sided by a big wave, the tightly laced weather clothes will damage your stanchions, but they can look fine, and still have plenty of give , if attached with shock cord. A tidbit of advice that can save you much money._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:43   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
I was always under the impression that the canvas cloths laced inside the stanchions were called lee cloths, but apparently not...what are they called ? Anyway, I'm busy making them for our next Pacific cruise and am looking at various designs. has anyone made them before and could give me some advice ?
They are called "weather cloths" because they keep the weather out of the cockpit. They frequently sport the boat's name, or can "fence in" the entire pushpit/cockpit railings:

Lee clothes are the "under bunk to cabin top" lengths of grommeted fabric that keep you inside a sea berth; you are "on the lee side" (i.e. kept in the bunk) whether the boat tacks or not: if the boat tacks and you are now on the high side, your lee cloths keep you in the bunk instead of rudely on the sole, awake and peeved.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:49   #26

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
I am curious as to what "trunks" look like - and what purpose they serve (instead of or as well as a Dodger / Lee Cloth?).

A Google for "Yacht Trunks" reveals a lot of swimwear!
David, in Canada and in any part of the States I've sailed (or met sailors from), a dodger is the bit over the companionway, i.e your "spray hood". They are not called weather cloths, which are found only on the rails/lifelines, vertically oriented and to cut the wind and/or spray.

A bimini is the flat sunscreen on SS piping. They are frequently together and some people link them with a rectangle of cloth.

Combine weather cloths, a bimini, that rectangle and the dodger and some see-through zippered panels, and you have a "cockpit enclosure", or as some of us call it, a "greenhouse".

Truth be told, however, you'd want it if you like late or early-season sailing around here, or high-latitude sailing anywhere.

I find it interesting how different English-speaking countries have different terminology for what are essentially the same things.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 21:51   #27

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:

DOJ, for future reference, that is quite a funny boat name in Dutch.

Hard to translate, it is a congenial, originally derogatory, term used by Dutch students and fraternities, referring to the male reproductive system. It became very popular as a weird version of male bonding (e.g. meaning "brother" or "mate") because of a TV comedy series.

These people's features tell me they could well be Dutch, which would show that my fellow countrymen have a strange sense of humour when naming their boat.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 22:20   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Thanks so much.... We have a solid stainless top rail and a timber toe rail..so I thought I could lace to stainless eyelet fittings screwed into the toe rail and lace all round (once I've finished the sewing and the hole punching).... take your advice about removing for the ocean passages though, although we don't seem to get too wet in the aft. Any idea of how far apart I should punch the eyelets ?
As you can see from the picture attached, I built solid rails from the stern pulpit to the dodger...errr...spray hood....what ever! I too am in the process of making, what I call, "lee cloths. They will cover from the front of the aft cabin to the front of the gate. I have them on all my boats. I am attaching them as you are...laced to the top and eyes on the teak toe-rail. As far a s a shock cord on them goes...forget that. Make the stantions stronger. In bad weather I want constant protection. Seems to me you want them primarily for ocean passages. It's tough enough on watch with big winds and seas without worrying about trying to re-attach lee cloths. SkiprJohn and I had them on my Ingrid 38 during a nasty blow. I had secured them with tie-wraps. When the wind gust over 30, they would pop. It was a pain but we were grateful for the protection they did give us otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1254.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	62756  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 05:14   #29

Boat: contessa 32

I call mine weather cloths,with low freeboard and the necessity of showering on deck the privacy is welcome. Not mentioned here by others besides weather protection is sun protection since much sunlight and arrives via reflection off the water surface .
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 06:08   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

It always surprises me how a particular item can have so many different names according to the different locales. At the beginning of this post I thought I would see the name that all my local sailors use for this item, but no it's not among any of these posts! We've always called these "Splash Guards".