Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2014, 09:40   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
Watkins 27... Should I go for it?

Is anyone familiar with the performance of the Watkins 27? I've been sailing for 16 years... Is it worthy of my skill level? It is very nice and well-maintained for a great price. I plan on living aboard and coastal cruising.. eventually island hopping and possibly a little water sailing">blue water sailing (but not for a while). My other choice is a Tartan 27 - which I know is a superior craft - but it has a lot of maintenance to be done while the Watkins is practically turn-key. I'm really not sure I have the budget for what the Tartan needs right away, but it is sailable until I come up with the money to haul her out. So... If I buy the Tartan and do all that she needs done, will I be grateful in the long run to have chosen the more capable vessel... Or will the Watkins suit my needs just fine? In a way, I'd almost prefer the one which needs less maintenance at first so that I could start living aboard and give attention to the other areas of my life that need it. But I am also very handy, so if it's only a matter of some elbow grease to get the better boat, then perhaps I should just bite that bullet. My only real worry is that I don't know what other mysteries on the Tartan hull might arise, whereas the Watkins has recently been hauled and maintained.. Thoughts?
Blu Beard is offline   Reply With Quote