Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 07:01   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
you can leave from gib or algarve to go south at any time of the year with the right weather window,after october there are more sw winds but ne is the prevalent wind.

jimmy cornell bless him plagarised most of his info from the admiralty" sailing passages of the world" compiled for the old square riggers which were engineless.

with a good engine,long range weather forecast getting out of the gulf of cadis and south is no problem.

see the stern 41 on the lagos site owner would probably take 30k just to be shot of it,mooring fees in that marina 9000euro a year!!!!!!!
spend 10-15k and you got a very nice boat.

also it will be vat paid and ce passed,very important if you want to sell a vessel in europe.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:19   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you can leave from gib or algarve to go south at any time of the year with the right weather window,after october there are more sw winds but ne is the prevalent wind.

jimmy cornell bless him plagarised most of his info from the admiralty" sailing passages of the world" compiled for the old square riggers which were engineless.

with a good engine,long range weather forecast getting out of the gulf of cadis and south is no problem.

see the stern 41 on the lagos site owner would probably take 30k just to be shot of it,mooring fees in that marina 9000euro a year!!!!!!!
spend 10-15k and you got a very nice boat.

also it will be vat paid and ce passed,very important if you want to sell a vessel in europe.
I'll second the Stern 41.... if your delaying your passage then you've plenty of time to sort her out and bring her up to spec...
You'll have one hell of a boat for your buck, you'll have got to sail and know her making for a safer more fun passage when you head off... and you'll quite possibly get your money back in two years when you go to sell her... especially if you get the teak deck fixed over in Trinidad or on the mainland...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 08:41   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
HI, i just had a look at the stern 41, looks like it has had a bit of a battering, dread to think what the survey would come back with, however, i guess the asking price reflects this, as you say, spend maybe 15 or 20,00 and you should have a really nice boat? Hmmm.......might be an excuse to have a few days in Potugal? Am going to read a few reviews on the boat first! I had started to think the best way forward was to rent an apartment in central Florida for one month having already made perhaps 12 viewing appointments in advance throughout the state, that would give me time to see a lot of boats and eventualy make an offer and get a Survey done, this would not be until August 2011 earliest, not sure if anyone else has done it this way? It just seems there is a better selection and better prices in Florida than Europe?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 09:21   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hi dont mean to be negative as im sure there are some very good deals to be had out of the usa but you also need to consider where you intend to resell it.

im assuming you are a eu national and dont have us citizenship or greencard,so will flyl to the us on the reciprical visa system which gives you 60 days.
this all changes once you want to arrive by yacht,you will need a b1/b2 visa,plus cruising permit,also need to change flag as us flag only applies to us citizens.

also if you choose to return to the eu vat is pay able by eu residents immmediatly on arrival at the customs valuation.
also a us vessels charging systems will be 110v,easy to change unless there is air conditioning.

also vessels built after 1984 need to comply with ce regs.

not insurmountable problems,but can be annoying and expensive and greatly affect the resale value.
Old 16-01-2011, 09:44   #35
Marine Service Provider

Thanks fro the INFO, yes, I am EU (British) I had thought if the VAT had been paid by the first owner then you did not have to pay it again, not sure how much it costs to change the papers? Is the general feeling that if you are an EU national you should buy the boat in the EU? I had also understood that I am allowed to stay in the USA for a non working period of 6 months out of every 12 months? Thanks, best, Pablo.
Old 16-01-2011, 10:17   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablothesailor View Post
Thanks fro the INFO, yes, I am EU (British) I had thought if the VAT had been paid by the first owner then you did not have to pay it again, not sure how much it costs to change the papers? Is the general feeling that if you are an EU national you should buy the boat in the EU? I had also understood that I am allowed to stay in the USA for a non working period of 6 months out of every 12 months? Thanks, best, Pablo.
My experience is you get a 90day visa and thats it.... so basically you've 3mths to find, buy and fit out your boat and be gone... extensions are hard to come by..
I flew back to the UK for 6mths then back out to complete my boat for the crossing. I started my search in NY and bought in NC... decent accomodation is at least $120/day... the cheaper places are flea pits... NY was $220/day... so obviously the pressure is on to buy and get on board as fast as possible... not the best way to buy unless you know boats well.

Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 16-01-2011, 10:28   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

correct on vat but you would have to pay on usa vessel bringing it back to eu.
changing papers not costly but a customs agent necessary to export vesse then get a us deletion certificate,.then you can apply for uk ssr certificate £25.

since the vessel would now be a uk flagged vessel you would have to get the us cruising permit,un less you left usa waters directly,but legally to cruise us waters you need the permit and b1/b2 visa $180 and interview at us embassy,not the electronic visa ,or be liable for a fine of $10 000 and deportation.

also if you chose to resell the us vessel back in the usa it would have to be re -imported.
had to do this when i brought my yacht to the eu lots of hassel and about £4000 tax.
worth thinking about,hope this helps,dont get caught out by the visa thing,lots of cruisers have in the past.
Old 18-01-2011, 15:12   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Here's a nice one... basic and teak deck needs replacing but just remove seal and paint instead.... be done in a week or two..
Used Sail Boats for Sale - Bluewater Algarve, Portugal
also
Used Sail Boats for Sale - Bluewater Algarve, Portugal

Thanks Boatman, I live about 5 hours drive from this marina and am thinking of driving to Portugal to take a look at this boat and some others that are there! I would like to ask you guys in the know what you think of this Stern 41? There is nothing I can find on line, also, the teak deck worries me, ive looked at the photos and cant work out what the hell has happened, a new teak deck fitted from what i can find out could be as much as $25,000 or even more (does that seem the right price for a 41ft boat teak deck fitted) someone else has told me you would be able to use the teak that is there and you would only have to take it off, treat it, and make sure it is properly sealed back onto the boat? The boat inside has a strange design and i cant understand the thinking of having 2 armchairs instead of a sofa bunk?? It looks like a lot of work is required but if the purchase price was right it could work i guess? My main question is does anyone know anything about the Stern 41 and well equped is it a good blue water vessel, many thanks, best, Pablo.
Old 18-01-2011, 15:51   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Pablo, it isn't just the teak deck you have to worry about, but also what you are going to find underneath. If it is just plain, solid fiber glass then you can easily repair that. If it is a cored deck, which is likely, you will probably have a lot of rot to take care of. Replacing a teak deck is not an overnight project. It is a big deal.

I don't think having it done on an older boat would be a worthwhile expense. If you are willing to learn and do it yourself, if you like doing those things, fine, you can reduce the cost a lot and have a great deal of satisfaction. Just don't underestimate the complexity and difficulty.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 16:16   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I'll agree with the above... if its a cored deck you could be in trouble if there's been bad seepage but if its fibreglass then just strip it of and fill, fair and paint.
Doubt very much if the teaks salvagable... not that old its probably been sanded down a few times and re-sika'd.... but there's the new fake teak that looks pretty good and has good reviews.
Give Bluewater a call.. maybe they have more info to help decide if its worth the drive... they're nice folks

Old 18-01-2011, 16:25   #41
Marine Service Provider

Hmm.....Looks like we will travel to Portugal to take a look around in a couple of weeks, there seem to be several boats there that could be in our price range..I will be taking a friend who has good experience as ex Navy and own Yacht owner for many years (I am a newbie)! I just wish I could find a bit more on line about this Stern 41? Cant see the owner shifting it unless he is ready to do a deal! I have guys to help me with repair if there is a ¨bargain¨ up for grabs!