Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2011, 10:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Valiant 40-42, Hylas 44, North Wind 40 ?

Am looking at several 40ft plus boat all around mid 1980s, I like in particular the 3 name above, all can be purchased at similar prices, any comments of any experiences would be great (good and bad), am looking for a really solid boat, safe, that can be easily handled by 2 people, a draft of not more than 6ft is important! Thanks, Pablo.
Ps, I am aware of the blister problem suffered by Valiant in the late 70s early 80s and know the problem hulls are numbered, cant believe that EVERY Pilothouse Valiant did was a blister boat, what a shame!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 10:09   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Valiant 40-42, Hylas 44, North Wind 40?

Valiant 40 (with any hull number after 249) or Valiant 42.

Don't need to look any further, IMHO.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 10:10   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

A blister Valiant will go around the world just as quickly and as safely as a Valiant without blisters.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 10:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
A blister Valiant will go around the world just as quickly and as safely as a Valiant without blisters.

Thanks Lowcountry, my research shows that some blister boats are worse than others, its a gamble you take, if you get it wrong you can be in big trouble, there is also the re-sale issue, the blister problem is well known as are the hulls that suffered, these sell at lower prices than none blister Valiants but can be on the market when you come to sell for much, much longer!! Its not a path I would want to go down! But Heh, thats just me!
Old 29-07-2011, 10:22   #5

The Hylas are nice boats too. The $ and interior design may have to decide for you!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 10:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The Hylas are nice boats too. The $ and interior design may have to decide for you!
Yes, they are nice, the inside space is huge and comfortable, I dont know very much about performance of the Hylas 44, centre cockpit, some say its quite a ¨wet¨ boat? Anyone spent time on one?
Old 29-07-2011, 10:37   #7

Boat: Sailboat

Very different boat layouts: Aft cockpit vs center cockpit, sloop vs cutter...

We (2) have a Hylas 44 and we made a few changes to the standard mockup: inner forestay, runners, stormjib, trysail etc.

The boat serves us well, fast, 3/4 around.

What would we do different? Maybe a Van De Stadt Samoa 47/49, in alumin(i)um
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 18:20   #8

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Valiant 40-42, Hylas 44, North Wind 40 ?

The Valiant 40 is small inside. If you want one of Bob Perry's classic cruising boats with a roomier interior, I'd look for a Passport 40. For starters, the Passport 40 has a fabulous galley.

The Hylas 44 is pretty nice too, although it has a reputation as a wet boat. Low freeboard, center cockpit.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 21:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The Hylas 44 has a reputation as a wet boat. Low freeboard, center cockpit.
We hear and read this a lot.

We only have a small dodger, no enclosure. Going to weather, we do get green water over both decks but not in the cockpit. We also get some spray, and we sit behind the dodger, on the dry, leeward side of the cockpit. If it gets bad, then it is time to reduce sail and speed.

Running, with tall blue mountains and white crests behind us, we feel better in the center cockpit.

So far, we had one "wet" ride, crossing the Indian Ocean, from Cocos Keeling to Rodrigues, beam reaching in 25 knots, plus large cross swell. Every couple of hours we got wet, not pooped, but wet, slapped from the side.
Old 30-07-2011, 03:20   #10

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post

Buy a blistered Valint at low price, spend difference from price of non-blistered Valiant on a good bottom fix, and sail for years. Resale problem solved.
Old 30-07-2011, 03:58   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Buy a blistered Valint at low price, spend difference from price of non-blistered Valiant on a good bottom fix, and sail for years. Resale problem solved.
Yup, that is what I was thinking until I read about one guy who thought the same, he started the job, spent over $50,000 then 4 years later...........Im certainly no expert, however, everything I have found on line suggests that there is a certain gamble....there is a Valiant for sale at 50% below any other Valiant I have seen, the seller admits its a blister boat and although he had it dealt with.........it needs a complete job doing again............that, Im afraid, is not for me!! There are to many boats on the market without the problem!
Old 30-07-2011, 05:17   #12

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Not being facetious, but I would love to read that article.
$50000 for a blister job, that had to be redone 4 yrs later??
WHY -did they peel and lay-up in a rainstorm?
I have worked on a number of bad bottoms, but cannot imagine an original lay-up that could be that bad from the plant.
Boracay, minaret, am I way off base on this one.
When I did Bluestocking's bottom there were no visible bumps in the paint. I just figured if I was going to have her in the shed for 2 yrs, ( it ended up 4 1/2 yrs to the day) I might as well check the bottom.
Built in 1965 by Cheoy Lee, gel coat was still there, so I knew she hadn't been played with.
Not one spot of problem, Chinese characters visible on the various laminates.
Being a fan of Bob's, and knowing that he doesn't control the builder, and having been involved with a Valiant 40, that had the glassed-on skeg come off, I am just disappionted to see this reference to Valiant problems so often.
Please tell me I'm wrong, I need to hear it .
Old 30-07-2011, 05:29   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Not being facetious, but I would love to read that article.
$50000 for a blister job, that had to be redone 4 yrs later??
WHY -did they peel and lay-up in a rainstorm?
I have worked on a number of bad bottoms, but cannot imagine an original lay-up that could be that bad from the plant.
Boracay, minaret, am I way off base on this one.
When I did Bluestocking's bottom there were no visible bumps in the paint. I just figured if I was going to have her in the shed for 2 yrs, ( it ended up 4 1/2 yrs to the day) I might as well check the bottom.
Built in 1965 by Cheoy Lee, gel coat was still there, so I knew she hadn't been played with.
Not one spot of problem, Chinese characters visible on the various laminates.
Being a fan of Bob's, and knowing that he doesn't control the builder, and having been involved with a Valiant 40, that had the glassed-on skeg come off, I am just disappionted to see this reference to Valiant problems so often.
Please tell me I'm wrong, I need to hear it .

Not sure how to post a link on here Im afraid, im not the best on a computer . If you google search ¨Valiant Blister problems¨ there is lots of info....I have no reason to make negative comments about Mr Perrys boats and like you I think he has designed some really good boats (I think he posts on here fromtime to time, what are your thoughts Bob?), I can only go on reports I have found on line from people who have done surveys on the named problem hulls.........The Valiant is very high on my list of boats to buy, However, I myself would not want to take what I consider to be a gamble on a boat that has a hull with known blister problems, I should add that there will be others on this forum who are far better DIY experts than me.....
Old 30-07-2011, 05:46   #14

We looked at blistered Valiants and the blisters have been on topsides and cabinhouses too. I think the Valiant blisters can not be compared to osmosis blisters. Therefor the repair process might be more involved, including extra layers of fiberglass.

Plenty of links to be found on the internet, maybe start here as a summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valiant_40_sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
At some point in 1976, a new type of resin with the trade name "Hetron" was used in the fiberglass layup. The new resin was designed to be fire retardant, and was originally developed to the specifications of the US military late in the Vietnam War. It was widely suspected, that the new resin to suffer from non-osmotic blisters of the hulls, deck, and cabinhouse structures. Boats built between 1976-1981 were most affected.[2]. Most authorities on the subject consider the issue to be cosmetic and not of structural consequence in most cases.
A nice article on "Good Old Boat"

http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_se...es/blister.php

Dirk
Old 30-07-2011, 06:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
We looked at blistered Valiants and the blisters have been on topsides and cabinhouses too. I think the Valiant blisters can not be compared to osmosis blisters. Therefor the repair process might be more involved, including extra layers of fiberglass.

Plenty of links to be found on the internet, maybe start here as a summary:
Valiant 40 sailboat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A nice article on "Good Old Boat"

Good Old Boat - Blister repair was cheap article

Dirk

Very Interesting read Dirk, seems to me that a Valiant blister boat is an option if you are prepared to do a lot of the work your self, not sure I would want to take that on, also, the fact that you can never fully resolve the problem is a bit of a nuisance! I might add that there are some cracking non blister Valiant 40s for sale $100,000-$150,000, what a great looking boat.........would love to hear performance opinions, also, Hylas 44 v Valiant 40 pros and cons??

Tags
Hylas