Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 21:45   #16

Boat: Union Polaris 36
First time visiter, Not new to the Union

Hello All, I have owned my 1987 Union for 6 years now. Plan to take off cruising in November of this year. I must be fortunate; I am equipped with a 100 gal stainless fuel and 150 gal stainless water tanks. Regular maintenance and filters has been my key to trouble free operations. The tank interiors and exteriors appear to be in good shape with no visible oxidation.

In outfitting her for Long Ocean cruising I have become very knowledgeable about all of her systems including newly added systems. I have no doubts as to her seaworthiness.

I’d be happy to share any knowledge that I have acquired over the years about the Union Polaris 36.

Captain Dan
S/V Dazzler
demj21st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:30   #17

Tanks

Hi Captain Dan,
This forum has been like being on a long ocean cruise with with a VHF and no one in sight.
Glad to have some new blood and a new boat.
In my post last Sept I mentioned that I had removed my iron fuel tank and was replacing it with 3 aluminum ones. Well they are almost complete now and will be putting them back in shortly.
Got a question for you - regarding an SSB counterpoise. I am presuming that you have an SSB, what have you used as a counterpoise, and also is your boat set up for lightning protection?
Welcome aboard!
Jim
(sorry couldn't resist)
Jimbo UP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10   #18

Good Morning Jim,

Thanks for the thread. I hope your tank install goes well. I do not have any lightening protection yet. My reading of others experience is to first avoid any electrical storms. When that is not possible and if and when you do take a hit, lightening protection doesn’t protect your onboard electronics anyway.

I have an external grounding plate installed for counterpoise. My ships grounding plate is the largest plate manufactured by Newmar. Using the cast iron keel weight may work, but unless it is in contact with the water you lose and limit the effectiveness of the water ground characteristics. My opinion is based on reading, experts advise and install manuals. An expert SSB technician would be your best bet for accurate information about using the keel.

Good Luck

Captain Dan
Old 04-05-2009, 08:45   #19
cruiser

I'm fairly certain that the Union was built at the same yard as the HC 36. They are the same boat. The EO 36, a very close sistership, was not built at the Union yard. It was built at Mao Ta Shipyards. I coud be wrong but I am confident that I am correct. I have been to all of those yards.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 13:58   #20

Boat: Valiant 40 ft. cutter
Hello all, I am considering purchasing a Union 36 and am wondering about the iron keel. Were they all iron keels or were some made with lead ballast. Iron worries me. Does anyone have experience with expansion of their iron kell due to rust? Also can it be accurately evaluated in a survey?
Earl
Earl Henrikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 14:53   #21
cruiser

They were all internal cast iron as far as I know.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 14:59   #22

Boat: Valiant 40 ft. cutter
That is interesting, the yacht broker just told me it is a lead ballast. Funny, I was on your website looking for a drawing of the boat when the pop up told me you posted here. It is one beautiful design, thank you for it. I plan on giving this boat a good hard look and am very impressed with what I've seen.
Earl
Earl Henrikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 15:06   #23

re Demj21st: "I must be fortunate; I am equipped with a 100 gal stainless fuel and 150 gal stainless water tanks." Just a word of warning if you have any tanks in the bilge. I'm not sure how visible your tanks are in that boat, but where your stainless tank will corrode through is right where it sits on wood to support it. I doubt if you are able to see this..? My Ta Chaio built '85 had the bilge tank corrode through by '92 (7 years) two holes about the size of a pencil eraser. The rest of the tank was great!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 15:07   #24

I had friends who had a Union 36, they really liked their boat.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 21:39   #25

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Union Polaris 36

I just noticed one of these for sale on craigslist here in Hawaii. Just wanted to let folks know if there is someone interested it'll be a bargain.

I have no personal interest in this one but looks like there has been a lot of work done on her recently.

DISMASTED 36' SAILBOAT
Old 09-02-2012, 23:50   #26

Hello Everyone,

I would like to say that I am glad to still be the owner of "Dazzler," my Union Polaris. I did not know that Mr. Perry had placed a post and I am honored to see his comments. I have been in love with Dazzler for over 10 years now. I have made many refits and cruised her for over a year in Mexico. She has stood up very well to difficult seas, 45-50 knot winds in the Sea of Cortez and the challenge of the Baja Bash. My current plans included continuing my traveling after a short stay in the San Diego Area by the end of this year.

Just for information, there is a Union Polaris website located at Union Polaris. The owner of the site, James Liggett, has just about completed over five years of refitting his Union Polaris, "Moonshine" and is planning on launching her this spring. His site has useful information for prospective buyers and current owners of Union Polaris world traveling sailboats.

Regards,

Captain Dan
Old 06-03-2012, 19:54   #27

We lived aboard and cruised our 1982 Union 36 for eight years. She sailed well, rode like a limo offshore and because the hull was insulated was very comfortable in northern latitudes. The 150 gallon stainless water tank had an inspection port that was easy to get to, as was the black iron fuel tank. Too much exterior teak.......... but all in all a great boat. Perry claims the Taiwanese yard stretched his Hans 32 design. I'd say it worked out. I would recommend this boat to anyone looking for a capable boat. We stay closer to home these days on Puget Sound. We now have a Rawson 30 Pilothouse.
moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 18:59   #28

Boat: possible Union 36 Rehab
Re: First time visiter, Not new to the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by demj21st View Post
Hello All, I have owned my 1987 Union for 6 years now. Plan to take off cruising in November of this year. I must be fortunate; I am equipped with a 100 gal stainless fuel and 150 gal stainless water tanks. Regular maintenance and filters has been my key to trouble free operations. The tank interiors and exteriors appear to be in good shape with no visible oxidation.

In outfitting her for Long Ocean cruising I have become very knowledgeable about all of her systems including newly added systems. I have no doubts as to her seaworthiness.

I’d be happy to share any knowledge that I have acquired over the years about the Union Polaris 36.

Captain Dan
S/V Dazzler

Hi Dan and devoted Union/Union Polaris community,

I'm seeking expert knowledge.

Does anyone know how to remove the rudder from the Union 36?

Assume the lower gudgeon/shoe removes by driving out bronze pins. The gudgeons on the hull do not appear to be split strap gudgeons.

It appears removing the lower gudgeon/shoe would resolve the issue with the lower pintle, but not the upper. It appears there is not enough lift clearance for the rudder upper pintle to clear its gudgeon. (The underside of the corresponding gudgeon in the "hinge" area doesn't appear to have enough of a gap from it to the rudder.)

Is there possibly a filler piece that is to be cut away, like discussed on the Bristol 41.1 rudder thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oe-155883.html

Appreciate any insight.
BigSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 21:36   #29

Boat: 1980 Union Polaris 36

Hi Union 36 crew,

I am a bit late to the party on this thread, but this seems to be a community thread that is passionate about Union Polaris 36 Sailboats.

The reason for my post:

My dad owns a beautiful 1980 Union Polaris 36 sailboat. It is refurbished and is in stunning condition inside and out. He was in the final stages of replacing the halyards and getting expertise on a custom steering column (both items are nearly finished).

Unfortunately my dad passed away unexpectedly about a month ago. It was his dream to own a Hans Christian "like" sailboat, and we would like to keep his beautiful boat within our family.

Full transparency-we are not a "sailing savy" family, however, are open to learning how to sail in dad's memory.

I am posting on this thread to see if anyone has ideas to how we can keep this in our family while remaining somewhat cost neutral

1) Co-ownership with other families
2) Become a part of a Yacht Club's Fleet (preferred)
3) Become a part of a charter companies Fleet (another preferred)

Any advice and recommendations would be extremely helpful.

Look forward to your responses
ebrown650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 23:47   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I certainly would not Co-own with family. I doubt a charter company would touch an older boat. BTW...Boats cost money...constantly. It is a commitment. Much like a marriage. If you are concerned about money, maybe you should finish or have it finished and sell it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote