Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2010, 22:49   #166
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Starbuck. Thank you for the point out. I have seen this configuration as 3 ways: as indicated here (not in parallel), as extreme parallel where they are only 6 or so inches apart, and parallel as maybe 1-2 feet apart with NO running backstays - just added strength in the shrouds and backstay.

I think the hardest part is the deck attachment, as some profess just a backing plate, while others suggest a cable down into the bilge as support for the deck attachment.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 12:15   #167

Boat: a sailing boat
The runners, or other form of support, are necessary only if the inner stay (here I think called solent) is some (Selden says 10%) distance from the upper/outer (backstay supported, in any case) fore stay.

Remember the 10% results also from the specific extrusion stiffness used by, in this case, Selden. (10% can be as much as 1 meter with as little as 10 meters of mast height!).

The deck side can be attached in many ways and it is easy to imagine that a backing plate will be used for a stay set well forward so that the lamination thickness vs. topside offset is relatively small. Then as the distance aft grows the deck will not offer sufficient support and a rod/plate/wire is required between the stay and some structural element inside the hull. This element can be fixed, or movable. I think with a well aft arrangement and the forepeak meant for living (rather than just a sail locker) there is a good reason to have it detachable/removable.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 12:22   #168
cruiser

What do you think about using 7x7 for the inner, so that it it easier to move around while detached etc?
Old 27-06-2010, 16:04   #169

Well, you say 7x7, then why not a solent with a Spectra luff? You could get rid of the stay altogether then.

We have 1x19 and no problem handling. But our stay is only 6 mm.

b.
Old 27-06-2010, 18:34   #170

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I have no connection to the owner or sale but here's a Baba that's been on the market for quite some time. I think they are a pretty good build.

TaShing - Ta Shing - Flying Dutchman – Baba 30 Sailboat

regards,
Old 27-06-2010, 19:33   #171
cruiser

SkiprJohn: thanks for the lead. Beautiful boat those Baba's! Not too keen on teak decks though and little over my budget right now also seeing it's in Hawaii...well transport issues. Some lucky bloke will pick it up quick i am sure.
Old 28-06-2010, 07:31   #172

I like the Babas a lot, except the 30' has strangely shaped bunks. The 35 and 40 much better in this respect.

b.
Old 28-06-2010, 07:50   #173

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Did anyone tell you about the 36' Pearson ketch for sale in Mexico on the cheap? The owner did a complete re-fit then got a serious case of bigboatitis and now needs to sell the Pearson. If you can handle a 36, she would be a good boat for you.
Old 28-06-2010, 08:11   #174
cruiser

Y66, thanks for your lead. Yes, I heard about the ketch down in mexico. With respect to that boat, I believe it had a cb which I am not fond of. Also, I have waned on ketches. Yes, they are incredible sailers, but I am not keen on the extra energy needed to manage the thing, possibly no room for a wind vane, and also the added expenses and maintenance of an additional rig. The boat is also in Mexico, and getting it delivered back up here uphill would prove difficult since I don't have a lot of time. SaltyMonkey works for cruising kitty.

On the Pearson line, the 35 and the 365 are great boats. The 35 is on the top of the Monkey list. But again, these boats come with cb's. I haven't seen one without. Maybe they exist but I haven't come across anything out there that caught SaltyMonkeys eyes.

I think in the plastics: CD's, Bristol, Pearson, HR, Morgan (cautiously). I know I would feel comfortable in a CD. I'm probably going to pass on this T37 - refit expenses.

But, like you, my heart is turning toward steel...
Old 28-06-2010, 08:22   #175

Actually it does not have a center board and I've made the slog from LaPaz to San Diego. Yep you're into the wind pretty much the whole way, but all in all a day at sea no matter whence the wind is blowing from, is better than a day stuck on shore. If you puddle hop up the coast you get to see the scenery as well. Turttle Bay is not a bad place to hang your hat for a bit either and the boat boys deliver fuel to your boat there.

This particular boat has been completely re-built from top to bottom. It's a great buy due to all the re-conditioning and equipment he's selling with it.

Ketch's.....I am not a huge fan, but they do not always preclude wind vanes. Wind vanes do usually preclude stern davits which I favor. Everything is a compromise in boats. True there are two of everything with a ketch, but it's also true that everything is much smaller and thus much less expensive. I've sailed cutters most of my life and prefer them, but if the right ketch came along I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

If you hold out for the perfect boat you'll never find her. Better plan me thinks is to buy a boat, even if she's not perfect and enjoy the sea while you can.

Thomas
Old 28-06-2010, 09:18   #176
cruiser

Thank Y66 - not quite a sell but you performed a good spiel and dance. I'm not looking for a perfect boat, just something I can believe in and work up "within my budget" I'll keep my even keel, see as many boats as I can (sort of like train spotting), and increase the budget until I know whats right. Although, have my eyes on one steelie up north I cannot let go of, and may compromise those principles despite good judgement.
Old 28-06-2010, 09:38   #177

Why are you so down on center boards? My very first sailboat that I didn't build myself was a center board and they do have some advantages, particularly if you like exploring rivers and other shallow areas. You've got the whole delta at your door step, so a CB boat might be a good thing for you.

Thomas
Old 28-06-2010, 10:03   #178
cruiser

Sure. My very first boat was a centerboard - a penguin. But, that's not the bw sailer I need, and I am avoiding general mechanical complexities, as well mishaps during collisions.

Do I really have to explain and defend every intention? What did I say that makes you think I want to explore the delta?
Old 28-06-2010, 10:06   #179

Oh goodness, my profuse apologies for intruding on your fantasy. As for the delta...why not? It's very pretty and rivers can be fun to explore, but perhaps not nearly so fertile to the imagination of a dreamer.

Thomas
Old 28-06-2010, 11:42   #180
cruiser

See, that's the problem when I receive advice from you Y66. First you give a suggestion which I am thankful for. Then when I give you reasons - reasons I have not only determined on my own "fantasies", through my own 35 years experiences as a solo sailer and boat owner, through research and from the first source other who have actually sailed and owned these vessels - you simply dismiss it with an opinion that has no substantial fact or reasoning behind it, or seem to marginalize or talk down to me. Then you start talking about what YOU would do, instead of really listening to my intentions and needs, and then telling where I should be sailing. And finally you become downright insulate. And you wonder why you have no credibility with me?