Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 06:38   #1

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58
Talk To Me About The Tartan 30.

hey all, looking at a tartan 30 for weekend cruising and some casual beer can racing. any of you have first hand experience with these boats? from what I've read they're good little boats, well built and sail nicely. anything in particular I should know or should look out for?
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 06:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Talk To Me About The Tartan 30.

U own a T-33, love it!

Like all vintage Tartans T-30’s, are well built, head turners and sail well.

Like all vintage Tartans, they are prone to core damage where the chain plate goes through the deck and the Genoa tracks. Both are the result of poor maintenance and fairly easy to fix.

If you buy one there is a very active user group in Yahoo.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 06:56   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Tartan 30 Reviews:

Tartan 30

https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...30-1245-1.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:17   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Towards the top of my list for liveaboard cruisers, suitable to later upfit for offshore.

The 27 as well, and that can be transported by trailer without special permits.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 07:23   #5

thanks or the feedback. my other 2 boats are charter boats so when I'm not on them during my days off they're pretty much always out working in the hands of the other captains so unless it's an odd off day where we don't have charters (which is thankfully rare) I really never can just go sailing for fun. this boat will be my just for me boat, small and simple to sail.
Old 23-09-2019, 08:52   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

We owned a Tartan 30 for 20 years and loved it. 1971 Hull 74. My biggest mistake was not addressing soft deck on the port side at the chain plate. Over time the whole port side went soft. Check all decks. If it has a gas Atomic 4 check what updates, if any, have been added. Most important upgrades to the Atomic 4 are electronic ignition and oil crank case vent.

Good luck,

Steve
taylormobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 09:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormobile View Post
We owned a Tartan 30 for 20 years and loved it. 1971 Hull 74. My biggest mistake was not addressing soft deck on the port side at the chain plate. Over time the whole port side went soft. Check all decks. If it has a gas Atomic 4 check what updates, if any, have been added. Most important upgrades to the Atomic 4 are electronic ignition and oil crank case vent.

Good luck,

Steve

there's one small soft on the deck, port side just forward of the cockpit, easy enough repair, I'll address it this winter. the atomic 4 thats in it had a full rebuild last year. not sure if it has electronic ignition, it does have a crank vent. I saw the boat on a chilly day and the engine started right up.
Old 23-09-2019, 10:20   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
there's one small soft on the deck, port side just forward of the cockpit, easy enough repair, I'll address it this winter. the atomic 4 thats in it had a full rebuild last year. not sure if it has electronic ignition, it does have a crank vent. I saw the boat on a chilly day and the engine started right up.

Not a logical location for soft spot. Is it under Genoa track? If not would identify source of water. If not could be looking at top of an iceberg.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 11:37   #9

Boat: Tartan 34

I've had my Tartan 34, hull #147 for 20+ years and love her, requires TLC but definitely worth it for many reasons covered above and in the Practical Sailor article. Before our purchase it had had deck work which has held up well and I've had to do a major rebuild on coach roof. Definitely take down saloon head liner and look for leaks that may be hiding. Also don't just start the Atomic 4. My dad's in his 40' wooden ketch years back worked fine but on a starboard heel would cut out unpredictably. He was a very experienced mariner and he and his techs could never discover the reason. In my Tartan, newer vintage than the old ketch, the Atomic 4 would start without problems, run lengthy periods of time and also cut out, not necessarily on a heel. Replaced tank, lines, filters, carb had many mechs attempt to diagnose and no solutions except the big one - replaced it with a Westerbeke 3 and best thing I've ever done. Fortunately the boat sails beautifully in and out of tight places so that's a level of insurance against an engine that can surprise you. And on the other hand a friend has an Atomic 4 in his 30 footer and loves it (He IS a marine mechanic and I am sure THAT engine has had consistent expert maintenance!) My advice FWIW: don't just have a mech check it out or be satisfied with turning it over. Drive the boat in the water, on both heels, plunging into head-on waves, running downwind and be prepared for the need to replace the engine.

You might also want to look at/join Home - Tartan Owners Northeast for all kinds of support and activities.
Fair winds and following seas!
shskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 04:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Not a logical location for soft spot. Is it under Genoa track? If not would identify source of water. If not could be looking at top of an iceberg.
I did fiberglass and systems for work for years. I've seen soft spots in every location imaginable over the years. this soft spot isn't under the genoa track no. at a quick guess I'd say the moisture probably came in at the stanchion base.
Old 24-09-2019, 06:16   #11

Boat: Tartan 30

We are very happy with our T30. The original Delco distributor on my late model A4 works fine. You just need to maintain the points. If I ever add an electronic ignition, I'd still care the original parts as spares. Can't regap an electronic unit with a matchbook cover. At the auto parts store, ask for ignition parts for a 73 Vega - same distributor. I've found they can't look up individual part numbers. I prefer Standard Blue Steak parts when I can find them. They're made with copper.

Check to be sure the screen on the bottom of the fuel pick-up tube has been removed. Took me a couple of years to find it but it resolved the occasional fuel starvation issue.

Check tartansailing at yahoo groups. Lots of pictures of repairs folks have made.

Fair winds.

john
sv whiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 08:35   #12

I had a 1976 T30 for about 14yrs (1985 to 1999) which i raced. The t30 came in reg and competition version. The 30T comp had a mast about 3 ft taller and a deeper keel (maybe 9") .It also had metal slotted toerails, a babystay, inline shrouds, and inboard genoa tracks. If I recall some boat The T30 comp normally had a shorter boom.
I had the taller rig and longer (normal) boom which allowed the mainsheet to use the traveler in stern as apposed to across the cockpit. As they are "not light weight" in Long Island Sound we carried a 160% genoa. With a good blade jib and reefed main we could go to weather in 20 to 30k like a 12 meter. (heeling more than would be acceptable normally but cranked. With very little changes i took it to Bermuda from Ct.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 06:36   #13

Boat: Tartan 30

I don't believe the T30C came with a traveler on the cabin top. It used 2 block and tackle main sheets anchored on either side of the companionway. Converting to a cabin top traveler required a stronger boom on the one boat I know of that added one.

john
sv whiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 11:11   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Great boat... I honestly regret the day I sold mine.... and I wish I had her back. Was a great sailing boat, easy to maintain, and a tiller!!
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 13:02   #15

confirmed the sale today, taking ownership in the next several days.