Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 14:54   #1

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Spin lock harness on a plane?

I am traveling to help move a vessel, I would like to bring my spinlock PFD harness on the plane, I am checking a bag so the harness will be inside the cargo area should I/ do I need to remove the CO2 cylinder or can I leave it in?
Ty for the thoughtful replies.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 15:17   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Spin lock harness on a plane?

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...%20lifejacket.

You may bring a life vest with up to two CO2 cartridges inside, plus two spare cartridges in your carry-on or checked bag.

You may not transport CO2 cartridges without the associated lifejacket.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 15:40   #3

Thank you pjshap.
Old 03-05-2021, 16:43   #4

Boat: 38" Sailboat

So while the TSA does not prohibit them, some airlines do, I would advise reaching out to the airline and make sure to have written confirmation in at least an email.

I know not only have I had to dispose of a cartridge in my life jacket before boarding but have a friend who also had to dispose of the cartridges in his life jackets. Unfortunately I don't recall the carrier I was on or the one he was on, pretty sure they were different.

So don't wait like me, and end up at the ticket counter having to toss it. Also make sure you have validation from the airline as well as a easily accessible link to the TSA relevant policy.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 17:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingPNW View Post
So while the TSA does not prohibit them, some airlines do, I would advise reaching out to the airline and make sure to have written confirmation in at least an email.

I know not only have I had to dispose of a cartridge in my life jacket before boarding but have a friend who also had to dispose of the cartridges in his life jackets. Unfortunately I don't recall the carrier I was on or the one he was on, pretty sure they were different.

So don't wait like me, and end up at the ticket counter having to toss it. Also make sure you have validation from the airline as well as a easily accessible link to the TSA relevant policy.
Great point, will do thanks.
Old 03-05-2021, 17:35   #6
JPK

I'm going through this right now myself in preparation for a charter. Take a look at the website(s) for each airline you'll be flying on. They all have slightly different policies. For example:

United Airlines says this:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/US/fly...dangerous.html

Life jackets
We accept one carbon dioxide-powered inflatable life jacket as a checked or carry-on bag. You must pack carbon dioxide cartridges as checked bags.

We’ll also accept up to two small nonflammable gas cylinders fitted into the life jacket and up to two small spare cartridges.

If the life jacket has flares or flare guns attached to it, you must remove them or we won’t accept the jacket.

If you have questions or concerns about a specific item, please contact United Cargo.

Lufthansa Airlines says this:

https://www.lufthansa.com/xx/en/info...rous-goods#Gas

Specification
Small gas cartridges containing carbon dioxide or other gas listed in Hazard Division 2.2, e.g. suitable for self-inflating life jackets, espuma bottles or for inflating tyres, plus up to two spare cartridges.

Checked baggage: yes
Carry-on baggage: yes
Carrier’s approval required: yes (1)

Rules for life jackets and similar safety devices:

maximum of one item per passenger
must be packed in such a way that accidental activation is impossible
limited to carbon dioxide/other appropriate gas in Hazard Division 2.2 without a subsidiary risk
the cartridges must be for inflating the life-saving device
for other devices (apart from life jackets): no more than four cartridges up to 50 ml.

Note:
In the case of carbon dioxide, a gas cartridge with a water capacity of 50 ml is equivalent to a 28 g cartridge.

(1) = This permission is not given in writing. It is given upon request and confirmed verbally at the Service Center or, at the latest, when checking in at the airport.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 18:52   #7

Boat: Southerly 480

American Airlines says this:

Self-inflating life jackets with no more than 2 small CO2 cartridges for inflation purposes

Allowed for travel?
Checked bags - yes
Carry-on bag - no

Notes
You can only travel with one life jacket in your checked bag, but it may be confiscated by the TSA.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 19:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
American Airlines says this:

Self-inflating life jackets with no more than 2 small CO2 cartridges for inflation purposes

Allowed for travel?
Checked bags - yes
Carry-on bag - no

Notes
You can only travel with one life jacket in your checked bag, but it may be confiscated by the TSA.
That last line is tough but that’s a risk I will have to take. I will tag it and tie it and leave it un charged.
Old 03-05-2021, 19:49   #9

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
That last line is tough but that’s a risk I will have to take. I will tag it and tie it and leave it un charged.
The likelihood of confiscation is probably low as long as you follow the TSA rules, but it is the TSA so who knows.

I'd attach an index card to the vest with your name and cell phone number with "Please call if there is a problem". Arrive a bit earlier than normal for your flight to allow for issues.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 20:42   #10
JPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimari View Post
The likelihood of confiscation is probably low as long as you follow the TSA rules, but it is the TSA so who knows.

I'd attach an index card to the vest with your name and cell phone number with "Please call if there is a problem". Arrive a bit earlier than normal for your flight to allow for issues.
That's a good idea to leave your name and cell phone number on the vest. I've also seen people recommend attaching a printout of the particular airline's policy on PFD's attached to the vest.
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 22:28   #11

Yes it all seems needlessly complex when there are already 300 of them under the seat cushions!
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:01   #12

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Some airlines (e.g. QANTAS) require pre-approval from the airline before they’ll carry them. The approval is online and automatic.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:10   #13

Yes yes on the tagging, I have my name sewn in the collar. And I am separating the CO2 cylinder from the PFD as well.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:18   #14

Boat: Najad 373

Ground services may not be aware of specific airlines conditions.
Before flying I sent a mail to my airline’s customer services asking to confirm by mail that it was no issue. Just in case the ground clerk was a perfectionist...
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:20   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I often put a sheet of paper with huge letter size in my checked luggage explaining what is inside plus the regulations showing that it is allowed.

TSA puts a paper in bags they check as well. Once they wrote “thank you” on the note I left in there

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote