Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 21:16   #31

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Single Handed Live aboard for two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintim1 View Post
Another thing I learned when buying boats, I researched and read everything I could find. While looking online I found a few boats that were just what I was looking for, and I just knew it was the boat for me. One of those boats was in Virginia. Once I actually went to look at it, I remember stepping onboard and going below and it just didn't feel right, something just didn't fit. I have only purchased 2 sailboats so I don't have as much experience as others. When I went to look at the boat I'm currently living on, I sat down in the cockpit and looked around and after 2 minutes I said to myself..."Yep, this is my boat." To me, the boat has to feel right. Not sure if that makes sense or not.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 22:21   #32

Re: Single Handed Live aboard for two?

Thanks again you guys, this is awesome.
I am so green and yet I almost feel like a sailboat snob and I don't even own one yet. I know what I think looks good. I know what is important to me on a personal level. I don't think I could walk down a gang every time I went out and say, Man am I glad that I bought that ugly shoebox cookie cutter boat, she is so solid I didn't spend hardly anything to make her seaworthy.
I am I have decided going to hire both a 30ish and a 36ish boat when in Florida next and just see how they feel from that perspective. My only sailing so far has been on my sons 24 foot c and c I bought him.
I am going to stay the course I am plotting given my own knowledge of boats, markets, the art of buying and selling. I am going to learn as much as I can from books and forums to help calculate as close as I can what I need vs what I want and what I can afford. Take that and build my list. Make a visual on each finalist using what I know and what I am learning, enlisting the help of others I can find who know more and have time or inclination. If I find one that fits the bill to that point, make a conditional offer and have a survey done. That's my plan. Any Holes?

Tags
single