Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2021, 19:15   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Should I Buy a New Main ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The life of a Dacron main is 2-4 years useful, up to 10 that it doesn’t shred. Yours looks like a wind brake.

We installed a North 3DI last year. Absolutely the finest sail I’ve ever owned. Added 3+5 degrees to Windward, eliminated almost all weather helm. Added speed at all points. It’s reputed to keep its shape for around 10 years. Will be replacing the Genoa this year. Also 3DI.
The limited useful life you quote for Dacron is incorrect if the cloth weight is properly selected. For your vessel, Nicholson58, that would be a very heavy and hard to handle sail in Dacron, I agree, so in your case a modern sailcoth is a smart choice.

And for others with discretionary income a modern sailcoth is very nice to have. But it is hard to actually justify the extra expense of 3DI, beyond sailmaker's claims. For the OP's 38 foot boat will a $7000 sail last over two times as long as a $3000 Dactron sail (or less, much less) which will certainly last 5-10 years? We have all seen high end laminated sails self destruct before 10-20 years.

For myself I buy Dacron mainsails (and other head sails) for cruising and buy top of the line carbon fiber membrane sails for racing. The racing sails are exquisite. But I sailed around the world on Dacron sails and in 18 years used three Dacron mains, one of which was used to start with, one purchased in New Zealand after 2 years, and a third one 14 years later, which I still have and now, at 7 years is still doing fine.

Normal weekend sailors or world cruisers don't need high end sails.

By the way, I bought my last Dacron main, 9oz, three reef points and all that, for $2100, delivered. That is for a high performance 43' boat. I don't like the sail and I know I could get a better sail now, knowing what I know about sails, for a similar price but for the money it has served me very well.
Old 27-10-2021, 12:58   #32

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I'm with Fred in that the sail should be hoisted up a bit more given the scallops on the luff....need to use a bit more torque with a winch on the main halyard. Then tighten downhaul (if you have one) and see what you have...enjoy...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 10:01   #33

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
^^^^^ This! ^^^^^

Also, your halyard might be "all the way up" but it does not look NEARLY tight enough.

My very first thought. It looks like sheet tension and outhaul could use some more tension as well.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 10:51   #34

Boat: 2011 Beneteau 40
Unhappy Re: Should I Buy a New Main ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAway View Post
When I bought my boat, the “experts” on the sail, the broker, surveyor and broker’s circumnavigating friend all said my main was blown out. It looked similar to yours in pics. Had a sailmaker I trust look at it to give me a price on a new main and he said mine was still fine. Just needed the bolt rope stretched and that I didn’t need a new sail. According to him, Chuck O’Malley, Chesapeake Sailmakers in Annapolis, the bolt rope had shrunk and needed to be detached, stretched out and reattached to sail. He was correct. Been using it for 14 years of mostly weekend sailing and it still has good shape. Wouldn’t use it on the racing boat I skipper where seconds matter, but for the cruising my wife and I do on our boat it has been very adequate.
GoAway, you got me thinking with this. I went back and did some research, the previous owner had NOT really sailed the boat for 2 years prior to me purchasing. As a result, I think you are on to something with the bolt rope (shrinking?). I know I told everyone I had the halyard all the way up, but again, learning the boat I thought it was all the way up because I couldnt crank it up any further with the winch. However, look at this pic - the main obviously is NOT all the way up for this boat?

How much, if you dont mind me asking, for a new bolt rope?

Again, thank you everyone for your great input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3539.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	247474  
Decompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 15:54   #35

If the halyardis a the way up, then more downhaul is needed. Maybe a Conningham.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 16:47   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decompression View Post
...How much, if you don't mind me asking, for a new bolt rope?..
That's not what he said, the suggestion is detach the boat rope and sew it on again with the sail layed out flat. When sewed back on the bolt rope won't extend the whole length of the sail's luff anymore but that won't hurt.

That is just labor, and no too much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
If the halyardis a the way up, then more downhaul is needed. Maybe a Conningham.
This suggestion won't solve the OP's problem. Pulling down on the luff will remove the luff wrinkles but it won't resolve the issue of the mainsail's leech being longer than the distance between the headboard and the end of the boom. That is caused by the head not being all the way up and that is what is causing the open leech and the too full body of the sail.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:13   #37

Does anyone think the clew reinforcement area is a bit odd? It seems to start a bit up the leach and is the source of that funny oval in the sail. With older material this may be the cause of the ragged look? Would this sail have been made from a older larger one?
tgradyv7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:04   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgradyv7m View Post
Does anyone think the clew reinforcement area is a bit odd? It seems to start a bit up the leach and is the source of that funny oval in the sail. With older material this may be the cause of the ragged look? Would this sail have been made from a older larger one?
I don't really see that. I think that we could evaluate this sail a lot better if the OP can get get a photo taken from the edge of the cockpit about midway along the boom looking straight up, so the boom is along the bottom edge of the photo and the head of the sail is at the top of the photo and all three corners are visible. Taken after pains are taken to get the sail fully hoisted and trimmed in properly at the mainsheet.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:34   #39

Boat: Omega 36

No!
Learn how trim the sails.
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:04   #40

Yes, if you want good performance. You can use it the way it is, it just won’t perform as well. Especially to windward. And as it is pretty tired, it will be more susceptible to failing. Rip/tear etc. sails can go over 20 yrs it cared for. But usually get stretched out after somewhere between 6-12 yrs. now if you are a serious racer. Replace after each hard race! Ha ha.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:24   #41

Quote:
I bought a 2005 32' Catalina 18 months ago, so still "learning" the boat.
When sailing hard to windward, I am not sure if I should be frustrated with my (lack of) sailing skills or my main.

Please see attached pics. All were taken with traveler to windward (as you can see) because it felt like I was spilling all my wind/lift. Yes, main was raised all the way.

I understand average life expectancy for a main is approx 10 years (+/-).
Do you think a new main might allow her to hold a course closer to the wind (i.e. <40 -- note: she is a wing keel) and I might not need to play traveler games as much?

If you need a different pic, pls let me know.

Thank you in advance for any guidance on this topic,
Tom
I have trimmed mains on many different boats. The first thing to do is put on enough Outhaul to create the depth you want. Then put on enough Cunningham to move the draft (deepest part of the sail) to 40% from the luff. Then trim the sheet to get the luff telltales flying with the top flickering every 5 or 10 seconds. Once that’s complete use the traveler to trim go heal. In light wind you want the boom centerline. As wind increased you need to add Cunningham and outhaul as the wind is pushing the sail out of the original shape. Try to get the leach of the main to match the leach of th Jib/Genoa.

Remember you trim the Jib/Genoa at the luff and the main from the leach.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 15:43   #42

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis4789 View Post
About How much would a new main cost? I know lots n lots of factors but just looking for a ballpark.
I bought a new main from North Sails at the end 2019 for my 32 foot O’Day 322.

6.4 oz cloth, full battens, 2 reefs. $2,035.

I added a Tides Marine Strong Track, and that added another $850 or so, but I like the SST slides and HDPE (low friction) track with the full battens.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 16:28   #43

Boat: 2004 Hunter 44ac

I'm new to sailing. I just bought and read Don Guillette's excellent book and trim charts last week.
This has been my favorite thread I've read yet on this forum. It helped me put together what I learned in the book, but also helped me to understadn in what order, and what else to look for.
Even though there were many differering opinions, it was very civil.

Thanks CF!
Ltfdrebbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 18:51   #44

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

Is it true that US regulation (new as of~2010?) abolished a component in sail thread which results in shortened sail life?

(Local boat contractor informed me of this, so I had head sail patched rather than replaced. He wasn’t involved in transaction either way, so ulterior motive not suspect.)
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 21:48   #45

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
GoAway, you got me thinking with this. I went back and did some research, the previous owner had NOT really sailed the boat for 2 years prior to me purchasing. As a result, I think you are on to something with the bolt rope (shrinking?). I know I told everyone I had the halyard all the way up, but again, learning the boat I thought it was all the way up because I couldnt crank it up any further with the winch. However, look at this pic - the main obviously is NOT all the way up for this boat?

How much, if you dont mind me asking, for a new bolt rope?

Again, thank you everyone for your great input!
That main looks pretty competitive to me. If I can remember, I'll post some shots of the main on the Catalina 320 I am racing on tomorrow. The sail has been in a charter program for 4 seasons, but the boat still finishes in the top 20% in the Tuesday nite beer can races.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote