Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 03:58   #16

Boat: Contest 35
Re: Short(er) boats with higher head room

Contest 35s meet your criteria, but as you pointed out earlier with another boat, availability in the States will likely be an issue.
rtooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:49   #17

Most boats designed by Ted Hood or Deiter Empacher will have the headroom.
Elegua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:03   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the bristol 40 had a ton of headroom. I could hardly see thru the ports and I am almost 6' tall.
Old 09-06-2020, 15:53   #19

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Take a good look at a 33 footer with the room of a 38. Modified full keel with keel protected rudder. Plenty of headroom and bunk lenghts, even under the Bimini. Not the fastest to windward but a dependable 50 HP Perkins Diesel. A strong, spacious, comfortable, beamy boat. The Morgan Out Island 33.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:57   #20

Hi! Making my first post for this. I'm 6'5" and looking for options that could eventually do an Atlantic crossing, probably 30-40' range.
Sailing302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:33   #21

Dufour 31! We have one for sale right now. great boat, and lots of head room. no need to crouch. They are also more affordable.

M-
MARK98110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 16:09   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing302 View Post
Hi! Making my first post for this. I'm 6'5" and looking for options that could eventually do an Atlantic crossing, probably 30-40' range.
Welcome aboard Sailing 302!
You might check into Columbia 43s too. They are a little bigger than you mention, but they have the headroom.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 15:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsdurango View Post
Thanks Heathenly and Trekka, I have looked a some Westerlys on line but seems the VAST majority are across the Atlantic. Very few in the US. Am I looking in the wrong places?
I was just looking at my paperwork today and it looks like Westerly's US sales were based out of Maryland so you may have luck there. Ironically, mine was used as a trailer sailor for most of its life
And raced and was sold and sailed in North Dakota of all places 🤣 a design specifically for high tidal ranges and steep seas sailing in lakes, lol.

Anyway, I suspect they are rare even on the East coast.

I met a bloke out here in Western Canada with a roomy Islander 32 or 34 I forget which. Not high performance but a beauty and I could almost stand up in it (I'm almost 7' tall). If I were going to go for a single keeler with wheel steering, Islanders seem like a good value.
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 23:10   #24

Boat: CSY33

Back in the ‘70s and ‘80s Westerly sailboats were commonly seen over the Chesapeake and southern coasts. They are great bay boats! But in the early 1980s the long time importer retired and the dealership passed through various hands.

I always felt the dealers and company did not know how to advertise to Americans. Their print ads were boring and they never put any effort into owner outreach. The company itself went out of business eventually. I organized the first Westerly list serve in the mid 1990s. The company restarted in new management and they had awful bedside manners. Claimed trademark on the term “My Westerly” and legally threatened a fellow who was growing a website about the line. I had boxes of promotional literature picked up over more than a decade and a half of boat shows and we were scanning and indexing all the older - and no longer built - models. They stomped the website hard. Wanted total control over anything about the boats and history. Eventually they went under again.

Sadly, with no visibility here in the states, and no collective sense and experience, the models faded from visibility. The average sailor did not know what to make of twin keels. Seemed as likely as a six legged horse to them. I loved them. But resale values dropped and dropped. Many of the line from late ‘60s to 1980ish met the chopper after failure to sell. 15 years ago you could still find a fair number of them on web and print used boat sales. Now they are rare.

They were strongly built boats with Lloyds 100A certificates. They were designed and built for people whose sailing area included the North Sea off the U.K. Much stronger than most similar sized boats of American construction. Ocean capable but also great for shallower sailing waters like west coast of Florida, gunkholing the Chesapeake... The author of the book “Cruising the Chesapeake- A Gunkholers Guide” sailed a Westerly Berwick. (Twin keels, apx 31ft length)
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 05:53   #25
cruiser

Headroom is overrated. You wanna stand up? Go on deck.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, head