Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2019, 10:55   #16

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Seeking Recommendations for Life raft

IMHO, For a crew of 3 or 4 you definitely want a 6 man life raft. The Winslow 6-man Super Light Offshore Plus raft only weighs 60 lbs. (The Ultra light for coastal is about 30 lbs).

I wrote a blog post of my purchasing decisions, but I'll summarize here...

* If you ever tried to cram 3 adults into a 4-man life raft you'll know why you want a 6-man life raft (take a safety at sea class where the class has in water training).

* I did not want to permanently mount the life raft on the deck in a cradle (remove temptation of theft, also preserve deck space)

* I didn't want to rely on a hydrostatic release from a deck mounted cradle.

* I wanted something light that an adult woman could lift (total package is 72 lbs) (most fiberglass canisters are way to heavy)

* I wanted service in my primary cruising area (Pacific & SE Asia)

* The rigid Urethane valise was a big selling point over the soft valise (under sail I put the life raft on the cockpit seat behind the helm, and put a WestMarine portable "Go-Anywhere high-back Seat" on top of it. (It just happened to be the perfect size, and makes for a great "command/watch" seat.)

(Oh...the reason the life raft Warning sticker states "do not store outside" is because Urethane deteriorates in the sun. I talked with Viking about this, and the warning is there to preclude people from permanently mounting it on the deck, although a canvas cover will prevent UV damage.)

Old 15-12-2019, 11:04   #17

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Kev,

The life raft that came with our boat when we purchased it in 2014 needed to be repacked/recertified. I used a company that focuses on commercial boats and airlines that was authorized to certify many different brands of life raft equipment..

While there, I had the following conversation with the owner [excerpt from our Life Raft page]:

Quote:
When we were finished [repacking our raft] I asked the owner what raft/brand we should buy for offshore work once the Winslow ages out. Without hesitation he recommended the Viking RescYou Pro. [And that was not a brand they sell...]

Armed with that information, I stopped by the Viking [and other liferafts] booth at the Seattle Boat Show in Jan-2015. They appeared to be very high quality at an excellent price. If there was one downside, the tubes are black rubber, and smell like it. I suspect it would be unpleasant at first to be confined to an inner tube that smelled like one... [But that would be the least of my worries...]
Our Winslow hasn't needed to be replaced yet, but I'm still watching Viking, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the immediate need.

In case this is helpful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 15-12-2019, 16:32   #18

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschleck View Post
If you are sailing offshore with a 4 man crew you will find that the 4 man life raft is very small since you will be wearing foulies and should have a ditch bag and other gear. Remember that even with an EPIRB you may not be rescued within 24 hours. I carried a 6 man offshore life raft for 4 people when sailing to the Caribbean.
This is my thinking behind a 6-man versus 4-man. I am racing next summer to Oahu with 3 crew and and will be coning back with 2 or 3, as well. That's pretty much all I ever want on my boat but the 4-person raft seems too small. That said, I do singlehand and might have just one other person to sail with so then a 6-person raft might be more easily inverted without the additional weight. It's an issue I need to look into more - both the self righting capabilities, the use of a drogue and the ballasting system. I've heard the 5-sided rafts are more likely to spin rather than flip, but just the thought of that makes me queasy...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 18:13   #19

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
That said, I do singlehand and might have just one other person to sail with so then a 6-person raft might be more easily inverted without the additional weight. It's an issue I need to look into more - both the self righting capabilities, the use of a drogue and the ballasting system.
Practical Sailor has great articles of import to this thread.

Life Rafts: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly discusses shapes and other factors.

Six Man Life Raft Test compares several rafts.

IMHO both the Viking and Winslow are great rafts.

Good luck in the 2020 Pac-Cup
Old 15-12-2019, 18:43   #20

Boat: Passport 41

First link is a little long in the tooth.. almost twenty years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
Practical Sailor has great articles of import to this thread.

Life Rafts: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly discusses shapes and other factors.

Six Man Life Raft Test compares several rafts.

IMHO both the Viking and Winslow are great rafts.

Good luck in the 2020 Pac-Cup
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 18:50   #21

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
First link is a little long in the tooth.. almost twenty years ago.
Yes, it's a good one for basic info to know about rafts but it doesn't reflect current technology. In fact, some of the brands that I'd never heard of have subsequently gone out of business. There are some new ones now. Does PS read these threads..?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 21:05   #22

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

I HAVE A 4MAN VIKING LIFE RAFT, 2010, NEVER BEEN USED OR SERVICED AND A SURVIVAL SUIT, NEVER BEEN USED. IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED IN PURCHASING CONTACT ME.
ALAN
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 21:24   #23

One more caveat when choosing 4, 6 or 8 person liferaft. The weight of an average US male is around 200lbs. Many are 6'+ and 200-250lbs. So 4 big guys like that and at about 1000lbs they will defintely need an 8 person liferaft.

https://www.healthline.com/health/me...weight-for-men
The average American man 20 years old and up weighs 197.9 pounds.
The average waist circumference is 40.2 inches, and the average height is just over 5 feet 9 inches (about 69.1 inches) tall.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 21:57   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Since I’m a singlehander I have a 4 man raft. I chose a valise because of the light weight and I keep it below behind my aft head. I can pop it in the cockpit in six seconds...I’ve timed myself. I have a hard point to attach the tether just outside the companionway.
It has been serviced once and it cost about half what the raft cost new. It is due for its second service in the coming year. I will most likely purchase a new raft next fall rather than have it serviced again which will exceed its new purchase value.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 00:50   #25

Boat: Outremer 55L

I’m reading all these posts about getting rafts with up to twice the capacity of the expected crew numbers. With the greatest respect, that’s nonsense. Where regulations exist, such as SOLAS, the guideline is no more than 150% over the actual capacity, e.g. 4 people in 6 man or 3 people in 4 man.

Rafts have a huge amount of windage and no ballast and no rigid frames - to remain upright and to maintain their shape they need to be filled with people. Yes, it will be uncomfortable, it will be cramped, and it can save your life by keeping you afloat and out of the ocean long enough for rescuers to find you. A full capacity raft is more likely to stay upright and structurally sound.

But an under capacity raft, say 3 people in a 6 person raft, risks capsize and collapse in breaking waves. And rafts have gotten bigger as people have gotten bigger.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 02:11   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
This is my thinking behind a 6-man versus 4-man. I am racing next summer to Oahu with 3 crew and and will be coning back with 2 or 3, as well. That's pretty much all I ever want on my boat but the 4-person raft seems too small.
I agree with Fxykty, but also Discovery made a good point above about the weight. Not knocking the fairer sex, but can you, or each member of your crew lift a 6 man liferaft, on a boat that is rolling around?

Does the US have one day sea survival courses were you get to practice using them in the water before buying?

I did the RYA Sea survival course including liferaft practice in a darkened indoor swimming pool with the wind machine on. Quite realistic given the need for safety on a training course. Anyway the upshot was the 4 of us managed to get into a 4 man raft with inflated life jackets. Bit cramped with legs inter-twinned and not alot of elbow room but that's deliberate.

We replaced our super but aging Avon 6 man at the 22 yr point and bought a 4 man valise raft. I can lift this out of the cockpit locker with one hand. Wifey needs two and struggles but can do it.

I would certainly recommend a practice day before spending that sort of money because they aren't cheap in the US. For once something is cheaper in the UK.

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/lif...-mob/liferafts
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 03:03   #27

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
That's why I suggested to look into a group purchase in the US and not in France.
Seems pointless to buy in France if you live in the US.
Hisseetoh was just an example of what some folks do.
I would suggest comparing cost plus shipping before buying. Recently replaced our transmission, saved $500 by ordering from UK and having it shipped by slow boat compared to purchasing from U S. retailer.
UK price plus vat and shipping was roughly $1000, U.S. price $1540ish, prices before U.S. sales tax.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 04:51   #28

Boat: Passport 41

Thank you for saying this, I was biting my tongue on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
I’m reading all these posts about getting rafts with up to twice the capacity of the expected crew numbers. With the greatest respect, that’s nonsense.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:26   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I would suggest comparing cost plus shipping before buying. Recently replaced our transmission, saved $500 by ordering from UK and having it shipped by slow boat compared to purchasing from U S. retailer.
UK price plus vat and shipping was roughly $1000, U.S. price $1540ish, prices before U.S. sales tax.
The problem will be air freight with the CO2 cylinder, flares, batteries and tablets. A courier firm and the air line will have kittens with that lot from UK to US. That said I see Ocean Safety have a service agent not that far away. Ocean Safety aren't the cheapest as they mainly deal with commercial organisations, but do supply to the leisure industry so might be worth asking for a quote and if shipping possible.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean Safety.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	205183  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
I realize it's highly unlikely anyone has actually *used* one, but thought I'd ask the community how they have shopped for one. I have a long expired one (2005 service date) on the boat, so I believe I need to get a new one.

Crew size: 3 or 4.
Offshore: Yes - long crossings.
The old one has no value, except to you. Inflate it. Climb in it from deck, and from the water. Stay in it for a few hours. Evaluate the supplies.

Once you complete this exercise you will be far more of an expert than most posters here.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, men