Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 10:12   #1

Seaward 32RK: Owner/sailer feedback?

Hello All:
I am considering buying a Seaward (Hake designed) 32RK. I plan to do some gunkholing in FL and up the E Coast, possibly part of the "American Loop." (Previously owned a Columbia 29.) Parking it for several months on the trailer between jaunts looks attractive.
Can any of you that have owned or sailed on a Seaward weigh in here on the boat? Sailing characteristics, storage, layout, maintenance issues, trailer issues, etc. Actual hands on experience would be appreciated.
Thanks.
generein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Seaward 32RK: Owner/sailer feedback?

I’ve not owned or sailed one, but believe it may have been made by Island Packet, in fact I believe they now own Island Packet.
I believe it has a good reputation gunk holing would I assume be its specialty.
A sailboat that you can beach is intriguing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 19:14   #3

Boat: Catalina 350

We have a Seaward 25 and strongly considered getting a 32rk (got a Catalina 350 instead, but still also have the Seaward 25).

Seawards are well made boats. i also like the idea of being able to trailer a boat. We've done that with our 25, and have sailed it all over the northeast. You will need permits to trailer the 32 as it's over the width limits. Also will need at least a 3/4 vehicle to tow it. We ended up going with the Catalina, because we got a much more liveable boat for the same money. However, it took a more than a week this summer to get from Lake Erie up to the north channel of Lake Huron on the Catalina (but a great trip). Our Seaward would get up there on its trailer in a day or 2.

If you do look at the 32s, do some research as Hake Yachts did some modifications to the keel and rudder assemblies over the years. The early ones had some issues with the keel bulb staying on.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:28   #4

Boat: Catalina 350

Also, on the sailing (forgot to mention above). We have sailed on our friend's 32rk. It sailed well. With the adjustable keel, much better upwind performance than our 25.
sesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 22:06   #5

Boat: Seaward 32RK

Generein, I've owned (second owner) a Seaward 32RK (2002) for almost two years now; out of St. Pete FL. Besides woods riding my Yamaha YZ250, she's the most fun I've had in years. She's well built, as stated and the 20" draft is very forgiving for this 63yo novice sailor in need of much grace. The boat has some interesting peculiarities, not unlike her owner. E.g. having hardly any keel makes docking difficult especially in wind; significant leeward drift and lack of control in reverse. I occasionally spin into the dock by stern or bow at the mercy of the wind. I've practiced to where I can pretend to look confidently in control. LOL. I'm just starting to feel comfortable and confident with exploring (usually solo) the coast/bay.

Nick sold me an an "upgraded rudder" but turns out it doesn't readily install without major mods. I'm in the process of returning the unused rudder to Nick. I've had it for almost a year. Nick has kindly offered to install it but he seems to be covered up with busy.

The relative low weight permits me to hoist her up on a lift where she resides between jaunts.

I have a 20K 3-axle trailer which I customized for it but have yet to pull it out of the water with this trailer. I've had all the in-mast wiring professionally coupled in anticipation of mast lowering (mast hasn't been lowered since it was originally splashed). I'm in the process of rigging a system to lower the mast. Lowering the mast on the 32 is a bit more involved than advertised, especially without the experience. Feel free to PM me if you're still interested and/or have specific questions. Sorry for the delay in responding.
Mo
Bromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 22:44   #6

In fact, if anyone has or knows of a mast lowering rig for a Seaward 32RK or can help me build one, please contact me. I'm in Blacksburg VA but visit my boat frequently in St. Pete FL. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Much obliged,
Moses
Old 20-01-2020, 17:35   #7

Boat: Hake Seaward 32rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromo View Post
In fact, if anyone has or knows of a mast lowering rig for a Seaward 32RK or can help me build one, please contact me. I'm in Blacksburg VA but visit my boat frequently in St. Pete FL. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Much obliged,
Moses
I have a 2005 32rk with the mast raising rig. Can send pictures if you like.
bppleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 17:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bppleas View Post
I have a 2005 32rk with the mast raising rig. Can send pictures if you like.
PM sent. THANK YOU Mo
Old 17-09-2021, 14:12   #9

Your reference to Nick Hake having an upgraded rudder interests me. The whole rudder system in my 2008 32RK broke off in heavy wind/waves, and now I need to replace it. Is there any alternative to getting it from him? Why did the one he sent you not fit your 2002 boat? Thanks.
David A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 15:34   #10

Boat: Hake Seaward 32rk

My boat is a 05 32rk and my rudder cassette broke this past April in heavy weather on the way to Key West. The weld didn't have enough pentration. Limped into Key West and removed cassette for rewelding. You have to contact Nick as He told me he had one.
bppleas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
award, sail, seaward