Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2013, 13:02   #16

Boat: Bayfield 25
Yeah the Tayana is an exceptional deal. But I'm concerned it is indicative of the shape it's in.

I live aboard next to a Hunter and am not a fan. Add terrible as it sounds, I have enough time to search for a boat that is all I'm looking for.
SVStargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:09   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: searching for the right boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVStargazer View Post
The Tayana was asking 10k as it's in relatively questionable shape, but the owners have no interest as it was inherited it, not voluntarily bought. Be been advised that I should offer around 5.

It's possible it will need a new engine. I'm hopeful but not entirely confident that the mast is in reasonable shape. It's wooden. I actually have possession of the staysail boom., also wooden.

I missed an opportunity on a Cape Dory unfortunately.
If you get a Tayana 37 for 5K you will not be sailing for a long, long time. And when you finally get sailing you will find that it probably has taken all the savings you had and then some.
Old 22-12-2013, 13:09   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Not a fan of them in general. Just the Cherubini's.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:10   #19

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

Quote:
Yeah the Tayana is an exceptional deal. But I'm concerned it is indicative of the shape it's in.

I live aboard next to a Hunter and am not a fan. Add terrible as it sounds, I have enough time to search for a boat that is all I'm looking for.
So go take a look or pay for a survey. I'm hoping to buy a yacht this year and would love a Tayana 37.
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:18   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Hope you don't mind calling for a reality check, but if the budget is limited, can you really afford to refit a 37 ft boat? and then keep it in high enough condition for water sailing">blue water sailing? or would you end up a slave to the yacht without the funds to use it so it ends up just tied to a mooring ball or dock.

Instead why not follow the advice given by Laika above to read Atom voyages.

My choice, a Contessa 26. Many have sailed huge distances including one by a young lady called Tania. I read the book years ago and well worth tracking down a copy.

Tania Aebi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contessa 26 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Hope you don't mind calling for a reality check, but if the budget is limited, can you really afford to refit a 37 ft boat? and then keep it in high enough condition for blue water sailing? or would you end up a slave to the yacht without the funds to use it.

Instead why not follow the advice given above to read Atom voyages.

My choice, a Contessa 26. Many have sailed huge distances including one by a young lady called Tania. I read the book years ago and well worth tracking down a copy.

Tania Aebi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contessa 26 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good choice. You can get a seaworthy one for less than 10K. Just update the electronics, if you're so inclined. If not, a good hand lead and a cheap GPS. Actually fishfinders are reasonable and work well.
Old 22-12-2013, 13:26   #22

Boat: Bayfield 25
I have a place to keep it for free while i work on it and an abundance of time to improve over time. As I said, I have my own boat currently and can spend time sailing when I please and living aboard cheaply.

Contessa 26 is not comfortable to live aboard, Tania Abei was quite an ambitious girl to do what she did on that particular boat. There is one in my marina.
SVStargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:33   #23

Quote:
I
Contessa 26 is not comfortable to live aboard, Tania Abei was quite an ambitious girl to do what she did on that particular boat. There is one in my marina.
Short too. There's always the 32. Fewer of them around.
Old 22-12-2013, 13:38   #24

Posted a pic of a friends 37c in my gallery. Can't get my phone to post it here.
Old 22-12-2013, 14:08   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: searching for the right boat

Thought all the 37C's were a Cherubini design.. I had one of these and it sailed like a dream.. was not impressed with the interior build quality/decor though... bulkheads were not well enough fitted in my opinion.. tho' I did cross the Atlantic to the UK in her and she dealt/coped with a couple of 60kt blows okay.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:18   #26

Boatman I meant not a fan of "Hunter" in general. I've owned 5 of the Cherubini's, a 25 two 30's and two 37c's. The op seems to like cutters, that's why I brought it up.
Old 22-12-2013, 16:27   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thought all the 37C's were a Cherubini design.. I had one of these and it sailed like a dream.. was not impressed with the interior build quality/decor though... bulkheads were not well enough fitted in my opinion.. tho' I did cross the Atlantic to the UK in her and she dealt/coped with a couple of 60kt blows okay.
Used to own one as well. Loved the boat. I think the good sailing performance came from the Cherubini design and the interior build quality was Hunter's contribution. I also weathered some good blows in mine and she always handled the heavy weather well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 08:53   #28

Re: Searching for the Right Boat

Stargazer, I will give you an idea of how to budget (just my method) to go cruising. Figure the initial cost of the boat, the cost to refit(this is the big chunk) your living costs while doing a refit/rebuild, and then have enough money left over to go cruising for a year or two. The initial cost of the boat will be a drop in the bucket compared to the rest. I am sure you have heard all of this before. I would think that if a Tayana 37 was on the open market at 10K, it would be sold in a heartbeat. This makes me think it may be a disaster that people are passing by. Finding a good surveyor will be the most important thing you can do(my opinion again), and make sure you get the rig surveyed. Most surveyors wont go up the mast, so you will probably have to get a rigger for that part of it. A wood mast is fine IF IT IS SOUND. I delivered a Tayana 37 up the Calif coast many years ago. It was bought as an abandoned, neglected cheep price boat. What should have been a 2 day delivery turned out to be a week of fixing one thing after another, and I am sure the new owner then put another 30 to 50K into a major rebuild. Sometimes an estate sale can be an unpolished gem, but more often they are badly neglected as granddad got too old to take care of it. I will say again, that locating a good surveyor will be the most important first step. I hope it works out for you, but rebuilding an old boat can be a budget/dream killer. Good Luck.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 09:19   #29

Boat: 1971 Columbia Mk II 34'

I have a Columbia Mk II 34' (1971) in good shape for $10,000 in Pensacola Fl. I LOVE the boat (Lived aboard for a year) but now I live in TN and its cheaper and less hassle to sell the Columbia and buy something locally. Let me know if you are interested. John in Knoxville
(See the pictures- wow. Lots of wood inside!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forward view thumb.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	72638   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley view 3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	72639  

Click image for larger version

Name:	repainted topside1 small.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	72640  
jasterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:27   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Is that some kind of optical illusion? I don't see any standing rigging on that boat?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote