Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 18:00   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sea Trial in Vancouver BC

Just got back from taking a sea trial on a Sceptre 41 in Vancouver BC. What beautiful cruising grounds. Eh! The people were so pleasant as well. The sea trial was a good sail but the engine started to overheat. Turned out that the engine guy had checked the impeller but not replaced it, and it needed replacing. Anyway we were in a river with a substantial current and 10 knots of breeze the boat sailed well. It’s been a long time since I sailed on a boat that displaced 21k but I was surprised how well she sailed. The speedo (other wise known as the random number generator) said we hit eight knots. The GPS said we were doing about 6 and we were going against the current so I have no idea of what our speed really was. All I know is that in what felt like 10 knots of breeze we were sailing nicely with a 135% jib and a full main.

The boat has been in the process of being refit at the builder’s yard for the last 18 months and I think that it sat in Florida before that probably for a year or more so she was showing signs of not having been used. A trip across the continent (FL to BC) on a truck and a lot of sitting has caused some of her systems to seize up a little. The yard fixed them and got them operational but it took awhile. We are still waiting to hear from the engine guy about the engine survey and then we’ll proceed with the purchase.

We are looking forward to cruising the area around BC and WA before taking the boat down the coast to the warmer BC (Baja California).

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 16:42   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
survey that baby!

Just a little suspicion that the boat could have been flooded in one of those FL hurricanes. Make darn sure that you get a good survey and look for evidence that the boat may have been wet inside.

I looked at a Sceptre that had been flooded...get into some of the very hard to get to areas where the wiring is and look for mud that hasn't been completely washed away (if my suspicions are correct). Some of those "reclamation" people are quite good at making the boat look O.K. even at second look.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 19:59   #3

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Charlie, I hope it goes well for you. Lots of great areas to sail to in our southern coastal areas here in BC.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 20:58   #4

Thanks Rick:

Maybe I'll ask that question directly. The broker that is selling the boat to me is also the builder. I can also ask one of the guys who works in the yard. Do you know what the name of the Sceptre that you looked at was? Timing wise I think that this one could've been in Punta Gorda during Hurricane Charlie. I'll look into it some more.

RSN: We are very excited about crusing the West Coast of BC. It looks fabulous.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 28-07-2006, 20:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Hey Charlie, how are things going. We haven't heard from you for a while now. I hope things are going well. Fill us in on the boat purchase, I'm anxious to hear more about it.

Deep.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 19:07   #6

Hello Deep and all:

Haven't had much computer time of late. One computer is down with a virus the other is in 115 degree heat so I don't get to it much. Right now we are just getting through the final negotiations on the boat. We have to extend the contract but hopefully we will close in the next three weeks or so. There was some last minute confusion on the boats inventory. The internet inventory had the boat listed with solar panels and a wind generator. Now the owner says that the internet inventory was incorrect and the wind/solar wasn't included in the sale price. We've gone back and forth on it but I think we are just going to take the boat w/o the items. Not the best for us but I still believe that we are getting a reasonable deal on the boat. We hope to take delivery in the second half of August. I'll let you know how things are proceeding.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-07-2006, 10:00   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Charlie, not nice about the solar and wind charger but I'm glad to hear that things are moving to your satisfaction. Good luck.

Deep.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote