Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 11:27   #1

Boat: Alubat 445
Scandinavian yachts

Noobie here (to this forum and sailing)....just wondering if all Scandinavian yachts are created equal..there's an HR 31 and a Sweden comfort 34 for sale nearby; the Sweden is newer and bigger but is selling for the same price. Are the HR's that much better???

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
NHPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:55   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Scandinavian yachts

Define better.

They differ, just like boats built anywhere else.

Go see both tell us which one you prefer.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:39   #3

All Scandinavian yachts are not created equal, but both HR and Sweden Yachts are considered to be high quality boat manufacturers. I would not rank one over the other quality wise given two equally old and maintained boats.

The S.Y. Comfort 34 is not a S.Y. design, btw. It was designed and originally built by the Swedish boat builder Comfortbåtar AB ("Comfort Boats Ltd", roughly translated), but S.Y. bought the design and built it as the S.Y. Comfort 34 until their own design S.Y. 340 (I think the name was) was ready some 6-7 years later. I'm not sure if this fact influences the design or build quality of the C34 in any way, though, but Comfort Boats were not quite up to the same standards quality wise as the HR and S.Y. If HR and S.Y. were the BMWs and Mercedeses of their time, the Comforts (and Comfortinas) were the VolksWagens.

HR has a very good reputation for the quality craftsmanship in every detail. Everything was hand made and if you had a question regarding the interiour on your boat, you could actually call the company and talk to the very same guy who built your spesific boat. That's quite special. Even today, some of the same guys are still around, and I have heard of owners that got help from the guy who built the boat even today! That is impressing!

The difference in price for the two spesific boats in question could be due to differences in equipment, maintenance and engine age, not only reputation. If the S.Y. has the original salt water cooled engine and the HR has a newer sweet water cooled engine, that could count for a large part of the price difference. Here in Scandinavia (I'm Norwegian) we consider a 30 year old salt water cooled engine to be close to it's end of life due to corrotion and wear.

--
Sent from the restaurant at the end of the universe, probably using a PC, an iPhone or an iPad.
Popeye70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:00   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NHPete, and Popeye.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:48   #5

One more thing... Is it the HR 31 Monsun ("Monsoon" in English) that is listed? Remember that is has a much longer keel than the Sweden Yacht C34. Not depthwise, but lengthwise. The C34 has a more fin-like keel, which makes it easier to turn, and it performs better when tacking towards the wind and currents.

The Sweden Yacht C34 keel:

And the HR 31 Monsun keel:
http://finncdn.no/mmo/2015/1/vertica...0311980_xl.jpg

Depending of the type of use you have intended, the differences in the keel design may be a deciding factor...? The S.Y. C34's keel is a more regatta friendly keel than the HR 31 Monsun's keel.

(Please excuse my language - I'm Norwegian and not familiar with all the different boat related terms in English ).
Popeye70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht