Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 07:51   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 27
Scaling choices for the unpredictable

I'm sure everyone does this when shopping but thought I would just put my thoughts out there for the more experienced in case I'm off base or missing something. I am on the downhill side of my 4 year plan, solo sailing at my club mostly catalina 34 and 32's. Race once a month with more experienced sailors and learning a lot. So everything is still a go.

I will be retiring early, and am very fortunate to have pensions, as well as pretty good savings as I have known this is what I want to do for quite a while. I had a particular boat picked out as you may have seen from different posts because just like every one else its what I can afford. Having said that, recently I had the idea of, "what if I couldn't afford that boat". Well the bottom line is I'm still going so how do I make that happen. What other boats do I like that will get the job done? So here is my scaled list. I would be proud to own any of these boats, and they would suit my needs. Maybe a little less space and amenities but as many of you have said, the view is the same.

Please feel free to comment positively or negatively doesn't matter to me as long as I can learn something.

1. Wauquiez Pretorien35 Can be had for around 50,000 or less. Might cost that to get her ready as well but a good strong boat, and one I have always liked.

2. One of the Bristols 41.1-54.4. More space, Just what I think a sailboat should look like, quality build. Could be had in the 100-150 range depending on size, probably want to go as high as 50% or more of purchase price for proper refit.

3. Hylas 46-49 Quality build , fast beautiful boats now heading north of 200 but probably closer to the standard 20% refit costs.

4. Amel 54 Everything has a place and is in it's place is my major draw to these boats. No retrofitted water maker taking up all of your storage etc. I'm single so yes I can buy a boat because it has a great engine room...lol north of 400. Upkeep will be more because there is more to upkeep

anyway these are my thoughts, as I go along I may decide I need less comfort and want something simpler, or as I get older may want something more livable and comfortable. Once again the goal it just to make sure I get out there.
outbound_308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:56   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Scaling choices for the unpredictable

A very wide range of boats, especially the Pretorien which is a totally different kind of boat from the other three. You can get a bigger Wauquiez, say a Hood 38 for a lot less money than you are talking about. You can't generalize about refit costs, it depends entirely on the condition of the particular boat, the model does not tell you much.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:04   #3

I was waiting for that , It's just a boat I like under 40, things I like are full skeg hung rudder designed for the job, but yes more of a racing boat than the others. Many have done the job though. Yes just through those generalizations in there because I feel many people leave that out or don't think about cost of ownership of a bigger high quality boat. Without looking at the actual boat you are purchasing anything about upkeep will be a generalization.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:09   #4

Buy no more than you need is always good advice. But depending on your plans, bigger is more comfortable. The Pretorien would be nice.
The difference between 35 and 40 is an extra head. But if you like the Wauquiez , buy a bigger one!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:15   #5

Didn't care for the hood 38, don't know why nothing wrong with it and I'm sure it would do the job, just the irrational "that boat doesn't speak to me" thing. Like the Centurions but man those boats have some serious big racing rigs on them ,so not sure how I feel abt that. Just lack of knowledge on my part. Going bigger is not always better, but would like things for livability, don't need two heads but would like one with a separate shower stall. Don't need tons of cabins but would like a bigger bunk for at anchor/company and a good sea going bunk, better galley, more storage etc
Old 03-06-2020, 11:29   #6

Boat: Tartan 33

I'm in Seattle. There are two Hylas 49s here; they're in the $350k range. I'm moored by Seychelles. It's beautiful, immaculate, and ready to go. Worth checking out. You could literally provision the boat, leave on the next tide, and be gone until the groceries run out.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:41   #7

Thanks, love those 49's, very practical and sail well I'm a few years out yet but getting close. Definitely on my short list. Going to see as many as I can
Old 03-06-2020, 11:48   #8

That's another thing I think people forget to budget for, I'm sure it will be a substantial cost to travel to look at all the boats I plan to but that's part of it.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:55   #9

Boat: 1979 Acapulco 40

Wauquiez, Well built boats and if you like that French style of design they have a model over 40 feet that is quite roomy but I am forgetting the name.
Bristol‘s are nice boats but older designs without much beam or storage
Amels are great boats but do you really want to spend that much of your treasure?
With these bigger boats comes the need for Crew, especially if you’re single. I single hand my 40 foot, 12ton Acapulco 40 and it can be a handful when blustery.
And finally, have you owned boats previously and if so what size? You were talking about some very large boats and with size comes Expensive maintenance and much more labor, More difficulty to single hand and simply a lot of boat to handle. You should size your choices to your actual needs, I have known many sailors who Went big, and then chose to downsize after recognizing that it was simply too much Boat for their needs. Good luck and Fairwinds
Glassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:08   #10

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I know of a Hanschristian 38 owned by a Sail maker, boats in Mexico,W. coast, asking 40 K, owner has 90 K in the boat, why so cheap, He has BIG health issue's.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:28   #11

Great boats but to much exterior teak for me to take care of I'm afraid, but thank you.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:30   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Will you sail locally or meander around the world for 10 yrs?
35' for local sailing. 40' has fore and aft cabins/heads, faster more comfy.
Extended full time 45-50' if you can afford it. The biggest difference in terms of easy handling is slab reefing vs in mast furling. My wife can set and furl our main by herself easily, (jen 49DS). Newer boats are designed and built better than older ones, and less likely to need as much work in a refit. Mine was an 8 yr excharter boat bought for half of the going price in the states and needed only pv to cruise the Med for 4 months with 6 adults.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:39   #13

Thanks,
I plan to see as much of the world as I can for as long as I can. I can always get crew for long passages no biggie.
Old 03-06-2020, 13:08   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

My first comment is your plan of whooping 4 years. How the heck do you know what you are going to be 4 years from now? Any option to go sooner?

The boats you named, I only do not know the Hylas range. But I do know from my US friends this brand is in high regard there.

Of the other boats, I would take an Amel 54 any day. Just my personal preference for the combination of characteristics this particular boat. (No teak, rigid tall grabrails, and nothing deck-mounted, to name few). I sailed one (locally, not on a passage). A dream to behold, absolutely smooth and easy. Offers the kind of protection to the driver that is practically not present in competing designs (HR, Oysters, etc.).

I think you are absolutely on the right track. And my vote goes to an Amel.

BTW One not quite so ah-oh feature of Amels - they do seem to roll at anchor more than other boats of their size - I always imagine this is because their rig is so much shorter.

Take care, enjoy the ride,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 13:24   #15

Unfortunately I can not go any earlier, as I would be giving up considerable pensions. As is I get about a month and a half of vacation a year so there will be lots of travel and sailing between now and then most of that will be off shore. I wish I would have found out about the possibilities of this life style as a younger man and had the opportunity to go smaller simpler now, alas this is where life finds me. I can't complain, I will be 56 when I retire, I work out regularly and take care of my health. There are a lot of people that will be riding the desk long past that age so I can't complain.

As for the Amel, that is the number one choice for all the reasons you have mentioned. I was giving myself options of other boats to look at and choices to go cheaper. I do feel the amel will allow me to stay out longer as I age though, as that is it's design. I'll probably have to start my adventure in Europe as that is where there seems to be more 54's to look at. You can find them other places but usually there is just one to look at

Tags
cal