Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.26 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2005, 10:10   #16

7Knots-Awaiting the arrival of the 12.5 sail. Hope to install this weekend. If my expectations are met, I'll post one for you.
captain323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:59   #17

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We have a 7 1/2 ton boat, with a 45 pound CQR, a 35 pound fishermans and a 35 pound yachtsman anchor. All chain rode on the main anchor and combinations of chain and rope on the secondary. In reduced swing areas or heavier winds we deploy more than one anchor. Also the mizzen sail can be used to reduce the tendency to sail. With our full keel, I admit we do not sail much at anchor, however it is nice to have those other anchors to deploy.
Of course we always ready to haul anchor and get going if it proves unsuitable.
cheers
witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:48   #18

Boat: Angela M. Bayfield 32c
capt lar,
Our boat a Bayfield 32c with full keel, "cut away forfoot", clipper bow ect. sailed very well on the hook. Using an old jib as a riding sail on the backstay. The final cut was a bit larger than I expected 9x7x6. This has stoped most of the sailing by more than 50%.
Bill,
billangiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:49   #19

Boat: currently "on the beach"
interesting - yours is the first full keel to report the condition. thats a big riding sail. clipper bow would increase windage and the cut away must affect as well. family wedding kept us off boat this weekend but i think capt323 was hoping to try his out. thanks. capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 13:43   #20

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Spent some time talking with Ralph Narranjo at a yacht club event last winter.

His take was full keel 'traditional' boats tended to sail less at anchor due primarily to keel design and higher wetted surface area. These boats do not typically need riding sails.

Fin keel boats both moderate and 'racer' types sail to varieing degrees depending all a host of factors including keel length, keel chord, rudder depth, skeg, etc. Also contributing is windage. typically longer waterline boats with moderate to longer keels sail less than more race type keels. All of these can benefit from a riding sail.

For what its worth the Moody sails some at anchor but less than my Frers 36 which preceded it.

Wind generator aft had no effect.

We typically sail at anchor less than 20 degrees even if blowing 25+. Riding sail reduces this to 5 degrees or so, but is a bit of a hassel to rig given the size of the boat.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 13:58   #21

what do you estimate the s.f. of the sail to be ? capt. lar

Old 11-09-2005, 16:43   #22

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Probably 20 sq ft + -
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:21   #23

Quiet as a mouse in Oak Bluffs this past weekend, no sailing in the sound or on the mooring. My install is still pending.
captain323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 09:20   #24

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
I have a Tayana 37 with cut-away full keel that abaolutley 'dances' at anchor. My remedy now is to use a smalll riding sail attached to the backstay .... and now the boat sits like a 'duck in a rainstorm'. I constructed the riding sail offered by www.sailrite.com .... works very well.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 09:53   #25

Boat: Jeanneau SO37-37ft.-Sun Dog
For Richhh: I, too, swing greatly at anchor with almost any breeze. Makes it very annoying, especially when trying to board the old girl from the dink. So thanks much for posting the sailrite source for your riding sail. I just visited the sailrite site. Did you get the small or large size sail for your Tayana 37? And did you rig it as suggested by Jim Grant? Also, what do you use as a halyard? Any chance that you could give us some rigging hints.
Thanks, Joe
alaskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 11:52   #26

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
I bought the largest one they offer .... I make my own sails and their 'kit' was cheaper than what I could assemble myself.

I have a MOB pole mounted on the backstay which also has a looped shroud cleat which I use for my ensign. I simply drop the ensign and raise the riding sail. The 'tack' line runs to the turnbuckle and the 'clew' line runs to a cleat at the base of the mast. Interestingly It really doesnt matter how 'high' the riding sail is above the boom ... it works high or low on the backstay.

What probably makes my Ty37 dance around is the high freeboard and most probably all that furled genoa on the jibstay. When the furling foil is empty the boat dances less.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 15:39   #27

put up the 12.5 this afternoon. our boat is 31 loa and 11,400 disp. definitely helps. still walking, but the sail holds the bow up, or probably more correct to say pushes the stern back so she does not get as much of an angle and reverses more quickly. we could definitely go bigger on the s.f. capt. lar

Old 14-09-2005, 18:07   #28

captain 323 - wind was only 10 to 15 k, so i do not know yet if the effect will be more or less in higher wind. nice thing about the 12. 5 - easy to set. would rather not go bigger. we have a bimini, so access to hoist on backstay is awkward. hope to learn to hoist it up backstay and then pop it open the way we set spinnakers before socks. have all my measurements now so i will make up a couple of wire bridles to clip on base of backstay and main halyard. then pop it open and secure to mast. boat definitely behaved better than sabre 362 on next mooring. without the sail we are worse. capt. lar

Old 14-09-2005, 18:11   #29

on the issue of cause, i had an interesting talk with a knowledgeable salt who told me of a friend with a fin keel boat that walked like crazy. he broke the mast racing and replaced it and now the boat is stable - just the change to a newer mast that was somewhat tapered front to back made a huge impact. capt. lar

Old 14-09-2005, 18:26   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
While my current fin keeler kites pretty wildly on the anchor, the two boats that I have owned that kited the worst was a 1939 Stadel Cutter which had as full a length keel as there possibly could be, and my folkboat, which was also a full keeler. Kiting seems to be related to the center of the boats windage. The further foward the windage, the more likely the boat is kite. Keel type or wetted surface does not seem to come into play.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote