Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2022, 14:27   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Sailing Boat Home ?

No matter where you start from, be very familiar with tides. Parts of the ICW can be difficult at low tide and grounding is almost guaranteed if you don't have the knowledge.

Many inlet entrances from the ocean with wind against tide will scare the beejesus out of you. Time these carefully.

If you are buying an older boat, either be electrically and/or mechanically competent before setting out.

Buying an older boat ? Learn how to inspect it before even seeing it. Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 25-01-2022, 14:42   #17

Inexperienced sailors and a boat that's new to them. Hell no.

I have many decades of experience, and recently bought a new to me 31 foot boat across Lake Michigan from me. I motored it home 85 miles. On the way, the door handle fell off the door to the head, and the head couldn't be used. Hopefully, that would be the least of the problems you'd have.

This 2014 boat had never had any maintenance done on the roller furling. Found that out the first time I tried it. Great.

The list of items that needed to be repaired or tweaked was long, and they weren't things that were revealed in a survey.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 23:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No matter where you start from, be very familiar with tides. Parts of the ICW can be difficult at low tide and grounding is almost guaranteed if you don't have the knowledge.

Many inlet entrances from the ocean with wind against tide will scare the beejesus out of you. Time these carefully.

If you are buying an older boat, either be electrically and/or mechanically competent before setting out.

Buying an older boat ? Learn how to inspect it before even seeing it. Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

Funny you mention the inlets.
I've been sailing for 50 years, it took me an extra 24 hours to build up the guts to head out of "La Gullet" or Shippagan gully in New Brunswick.

Felt like I was back in Lk Ontario with those waves! Nasty.
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 00:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingmad View Post
Day sailing/harbour hopping 50 miles a day average.
There is a lot more that goes into route planning but I've found that to be my average when I'm trying to get someplace coastal sailing.
That being said I certainly wouldn't want to do an ICW trip like that on a new to me boat and not the most experience.
Save yourself a lot of problems and buy something in Canada.
I would plan with 30-40 miles traveling 4 days a week. That allows you to wait out bad weather or if you need to stop for repairs. If you make it further great but you don't want to feel pressured to go out in bad conditions because the schedule demands it.

If the boat surveys well and seems to be in good condition otherwise, it's very much viable.

The biggest issue I see is a newbie with a poor handling full keel boat around the docks. They tend to be pigs docking, so if you don't know their quirks, it's a challenge (once you learn the quirks it's not so bad). Running the ICW, you are likely going to be docking at least a couple times per week in new and different marinas.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 01:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I would plan with 30-40 miles traveling 4 days a week. That allows you to wait out bad weather or if you need to stop for repairs. If you make it further great but you don't want to feel pressured to go out in bad conditions because the schedule demands it.

If the boat surveys well and seems to be in good condition otherwise, it's very much viable.

The biggest issue I see is a newbie with a poor handling full keel boat around the docks. They tend to be pigs docking, so if you don't know their quirks, it's a challenge (once you learn the quirks it's not so bad). Running the ICW, you are likely going to be docking at least a couple times per week in new and different marinas.

LOL, you trust surveys far more than I do! I've never had one that came close to catching everything. And these are "real" SAMS surveys. Luckily for me I've never been caught with anything major or expensive to repair. I credit that more to my own inspections and walking away from some boats before I bring in a surveyor.
Once I left a broken off gypsy sitting on top of a verticle manual windlass, guess what the surveyor missed? Couldn't have touched the windlass or the gypsy would have fallen off and rolled across the deck. (The seller told me right up front didn't try to hide it). Was just a little test so to say.
Barkingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 01:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingmad View Post
LOL, you trust surveys far more than I do! I've never had one that came close to catching everything. And these are "real" SAMS surveys. Luckily for me I've never been caught with anything major or expensive to repair. I credit that more to my own inspections and walking away from some boats before I bring in a surveyor.
Once I left a broken off gypsy sitting on top of a verticle manual windlass, guess what the surveyor missed? Couldn't have touched the windlass or the gypsy would have fallen off and rolled across the deck. (The seller told me right up front didn't try to hide it). Was just a little test so to say.
You are ignoring my warning about the OP being a newbie, which puts a different spin on it and it adds lots of challenges just buying and heading out beyond the boat condition.

For me personally: If survey, sea trial and my inspected went well...I would expect the gypsy to be caught and I wouldn't worry too much about heading out...I would probably do a couple day sails and run everything mission critical.

Most issues found are not deal breakers and most of the ICW has plentiful marinas and repair facilities, so if on an easy schedule (not your 50 miles a day every day plan), if we have to stop for a few days to address something, it's not a huge issue.

This is far different from heading offshore for weeks where you can't easily get assistance and any repairs will have to be done under on a boat in motion with parts and tools already on board.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 07:23   #22

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Also the hassle & expense of "importing" the boat to Canada. Taxes, new documentation etc.
Done it a couple of times and not really an issue. Taxes are payable either when you buy in Canada or import, with the exception that if the boat has federal registration (not an ONxxxx number on the bow you might avoid taxes all together.

I mentioned elsewhere that buying between Chesapeake and New England makes most sense. For planning purposes I would use no more than 40 nm a day. Some days you might make more, some days less.
Old 31-01-2022, 06:34   #23

I hate to throw a monkey wrench into your plans; however. have you considered the tax implications of bringing your boat in Canada?
Kite_jeidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 07:18   #24

Boat: Hake 32RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Where do you envision buying the boat? Using the ICW farther north is OK and even pretty, but getting from the biggest east coast market, Miami, to just as far north as Fort Worth means 29 lift bridges that can't accomodate a 25 ft. mast without your waiting for them to open.
Yes there are a lot of bridges on the Atlantic ICW in Fl but their opening times are coordinated and most sail boats can motor between bridges in time to make scheduled openings-have done it many times. Of course caveat is if everything works-like engine works ok and bridges all go up on time with no issues like slow pedestrians or mechanical problems
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 07:18   #25

Boat: Sigma 36

Yes and No - We are all either inexperienced or were inexperienced. The answer is it depends. We did it with our yacht only around Britain - about 800 Nm if sailed in a straight line, in theory we always planned to transit at @ 5Kts so in theory it could have been done in 7 days. We were both experienced dinghy sailors but with little yotigation or navigation experience. We stopped on route for a month in a boat yard to fix the fundamentals. We left the boat on a mooring half way home for 9 months. We had some breakdowns and some adverse weather. Some of the stops were planned and some unscheduled. We both work full time. It was just over 12 months from buying the boat to reaching its home port in Boston England.

We had some problems, we messed up and we learnt a lot. It was an Invaluable and truly enjoyable experience and I don't regret it one bit. With hindsight, I figure that if we had planned to do it in one hitch we'd have probably planned it would take 10 days non-stop but it would have taken at least a month. Subsequently, we planned to move it across the Bay of Biscay and allowed 14 days - we did it in 7 the weather Gods were kind.

If you treat the delivery trip as an extended holiday and accept that it will be time-consuming - go cautiously, research everything and ask for help and advice when you're not sure - it could be a great trip. If you are constrained by time, are planning the trip to save money and it has to fit in with any other schedule. Save yourself a fortune and ship it by road.
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 07:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Quick question, Just a quick question from those that would know more .

If my wife and I bought a sailboat in the US , how difficult would it be to sail it back to the east coast of Canada ? Would it be something that more inexperienced sailer could manage?

The boat would in alll likely hood be 30-34 feel full keel heavy boat ? What kind of time frame would we be looking at ! Yes I know we could research it , but I feel it’s easier to learn faster from someone that has attempted, or accomplished it before ,

An experienced person may think , or point out things I would never think of, when it would come to undertaking such a plan . In my life I have never minded hard work to save money . Mostly out of necessity to be honest , but it has taught me to be more resourceful and handy , which I am grateful for .
Thank you .
I would suggest you consider the following;

In a 30’ boat I would plan an average speed of 4 kts. Plan for weather delays. In case of weather delays and where you are, you want to duck in for shelter. You might be able to use the ICW for a few days and keep going. Depending on the time of year the weather is very different. Keep in mind many people come into shore around Beaufort and take a few days going north on the ICW. That means you avoid Cape Hatteras. Once you get to Norfolk, VA you can head back out.

Since you are somewhat inexperienced you Amy want to sail for only 2 or 3 days at a time. Keep in mind you will be sailing 24 hrs a day and keeping watch at night. It’s not to bad if you are experienced if not your first sails late at night on a new to you boat can be a bit overwhelming. Pull in and get some good rest and head out again. A day later.

Keep in mind you ay also find issues with the boat and sometimes it’s best to take care of the issue sooner then later. I also highly recommend you get Towing Insurance. You never know if something goes wrong. It’s easy to call the tow company and deal with the problem at a dock. Some things will be easier to trouble shoot once you know your boat. At the beginning being somewhat inexperience and not knowing your boat a small item can seem overwhelming. Better be safe then sorry.

The last suggestion I have is if you can find another boat traveling at the same time. Hookup with them and sail together. It’s nice to be able to call on VHF about a concern. They may be able to give you some guidance from their experience.

I can promise you one thing it will be an adventure you will remember and cherish the rest of your life.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 08:52   #27

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .

Thanks for all the insightful thoughts, at present we have decided to just work on getting a boat in our own country, when the time is right for us . However knowing there are other options does help if needed , thanks to all !
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 09:42   #28
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Quick question, Just a quick question from those that would know more .

If my wife and I bought a sailboat in the US , how difficult would it be to sail it back to the east coast of Canada ? Would it be something that more inexperienced sailer could manage?

The boat would in alll likely hood be 30-34 feel full keel heavy boat ? What kind of time frame would we be looking at ! Yes I know we could research it , but I feel it’s easier to learn faster from someone that has attempted, or accomplished it before ,

An experienced person may think , or point out things I would never think of, when it would come to undertaking such a plan . In my life I have never minded hard work to save money . Mostly out of necessity to be honest , but it has taught me to be more resourceful and handy , which I am grateful for .
Thank you .
I say some thought and caution is warranted when moving a new-to-you purchased boat to your home port...but it all depends upon the boat's condition, where (how far) you are going, time of year (weather), and your skills. This is primarily because you don't really know the boat inside and out yet and opening yourself up to unknown/unplanned challenges, particularly if it is an offshore voyage.

I moved a boat from northeast Florida to Puget Sound and ended up trucking it from Texas.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 10:54   #29

I didn't read all the posts. Trying to stop every 50 miles is a good plan except not all stops are conveniently 50 miles apart. Nor will there always be a marina.

Each day you will have to carefully plan your next stop. Get comfortable with anchoring and even how to pick a good spot to anchor.

If you are new I would not plan on traveling overnight in the ICW lights and signs can be confusing in the dark.

Don't know what it is like now but there were "ranges"we had to follow to make sure we were in the middle of the channel.

Has anyone suggested getting a towing insurance plan
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 12:47   #30

Going from Connecticut to Key West down the ICW in a 30 ft. sailboat showing daily runs and costs - https://youtu.be/udLLObP6yNQ
Going south to north like you shouldn't make much difference.
As a UK citizen I wanted to see America and Americans so going inside was much more interesting than going outside.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing