Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 09:45   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Rival 36 , 38 and 41

Yes. Just think comfort comes from not only weight.

You can find a 10ton boat with very round bilges that will roll like hell and NOT sail. Or else a 5ton boat that is flat and will not roll and will sail faster.

From my own (long) experience, the weight of the boat is a poor proxy for comfort. I would opt for the right HULL SHAPE up first and then see how the weight is spread out thru the design. Do they call it moment of inertia?

So weight is important but not paramount. Cats are light but comfortable, e.g.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 17:59   #32

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieKochie View Post
I liked the lines of the boat and was wondering if some of the more experienced crowd out there could tell me what the general feedback was on the design, sail performance, blue water cruising ability, layout etc. of these boats are. My sailing experience is still limited (but growing by the week) so unsure as to what would be a similar type of vessel from a performance perspective.
It's a dangerous thing to buy a boat based on her lines, depending on what you want to do with her. I would love to own and sail a Rhodes Reliant or an Alden 44, but practicality has graciously saved me from that fate.

Make a list of practical requirements and focus on those. If you're lucky a beautiful boat will happen to fit those and the stars will align.

When I was starting my search for a boat to live on and travel the world a Valiant was not on the list. I thought them ugly, a "shoebox on a banana", and had no soft spot for canoe sterns. But as the grind went on, evaluating requirements and what met them, it landed on the list and slowly crept higher and higher until it was finally, grudgingly, at the top. I still think it's an awkward looking boat, but I love it in so many other ways that it has become a thing of beauty to me. Who knew.

And barnakiel, I don't know anyone who would consider a Valiant 42 quick on it's feet in light airs lol. Get her moving and she's an extremely comfortable freight train, but she's not terribly fond of anything under 10 knots of wind. That said, she's pretty fast for what she is.

Reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago on a friend's 42, on passage to Virgin Gorda. He was on watch and we were being chased by a front for days heading south from Bermuda. He called me up frantically in the middle of the night and I came on deck to see him with the mainsheet in one hand and the wheel in the other and the water behind the boat boiling with a noise that no boat like that should make. We had been jumped by a squall and the knot meter said 12 knots. After it was over he chuckled "That was like planing a dingy...no joke." So the boat can move when pushed, no doubt about that lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 12:16   #33

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

What is the deck and core made of? Thanks
Old 29-06-2020, 12:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulls View Post
What is the deck and core made of? Thanks
The hull is certainly solid fiberglass, not sure if the deck is cored.
Old 29-06-2020, 12:24   #35

Boat: Freya double ender 40 ft

Thanks, it is hard to find information on the deck construction.
Old 10-07-2020, 22:14   #36

Boat: Passport 42

Been some time sinceI looked at the thread- just to mention that I partnered with another yacht owner and ended up buying a Passport 42- the Stan Huntingford design. My boat partner also owns a Passport 40 ( Bob Perry) and we are both impressed- by both yachts. Our yacht- Turtle Blues - is papeetised and based in RAIATEA. Nice spot in paradise but with COVID at the moment impossible to get to.
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:14   #37

You can find a 10ton boat with very round bilges that will roll like hell and NOT sail. Or else a 5ton boat that is flat and will not roll and will sail faster.

All yachts roll. Across the Atlantic in a 12 ton steel ketch we had twelve foot swells ftom behind, four feet from the north and three feet from the south. The boat was corkscrewing so we had to hold on all the time so we couldn't eat or go bed.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote