Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2015, 20:40   #1

Boat: Passport 42
Rival 36 , 38 and 41

I had a recent break up in the Coco's Keeling Island and saw a nice yacht lying at anchor in Direction Bay. After some searching found out it is a Rival 38 (Boat name isWandering Dream to be specific).

I liked the lines of the boat and was wondering if some of the more experienced crowd out there could tell me what the general feedback was on the design, sail performance, blue water cruising ability, layout etc. of these boats are. My sailing experience is still limited (but growing by the week) so unsure as to what would be a similar type of vessel from a performance perspective.

I couldn't find to much info other than the searches and references here on the forum, I see there is an owners forum as well.

Any owners (or previous owners) out there willing to share an opinion?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 16:53   #2

Re: Rival 36 , 38 and 41

Rivals are/were built as standard to Lloyds +100A1 spec (part of Rival Bowman Group now I think).

Pretty much designed for blue water liveaboard from the top of the mast down to the bottom of the keel. Very solid, dependable boats.

I was thinking of getting one, as a friend had the 36, and it was a tremendous boat. It's one of those boats that if you have a thought as a liveaboard, "Wouldn't it be nice if . . . ?" then you find the Rival already has it. But a few years back even old ones were way out of my reach (I really liked the 32, but my friend said just get the 36). Should add, this "Rival already has it" is down to basic darned good stuff to have fitted, not in respect to desirable but unnecessary 'bling' that some may hanker after.

I've always hankered after one.

Maybe one day.

eta: My friend's assessment of Rivals, was they are the sort of boat, when everyone else is rushing into harbour because of the weather forecast, you don't even have to think about leaving harbour, you just go.

Perhaps that's the best compliment they can have.

Now I can't vouch for that capability personally (I've never been in that situation with one), but it is something I have heard echoed elsewhere over the years.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 03:45   #3

Thanks for the input, so far. As mentioned they struck me as very handsome boats. But then not everything that looks good will sail good.

Old 16-11-2015, 06:16   #4

The Chandler's Lynn Rival is a Rival 38.

Definitely ocean capable.

You can follow their adventures here

Lynn Rival's voyages - Rachel and Paul Chandler
RoseofWight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 06:21   #5

Boat: C&C 34

Dear OzzieKoshie

You could always sail on a C & C in the interim.

Mandurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 07:01   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Very good boats. Rival 36 likely fastest but also softest. 38 and 41 likely slightly better for extended cruising.

R41 not to be mistaken with R40 (Bowman).

40k and upwards (at times way upwards, bound only by her condition) in the EU.

There are also 32 and 34 models, same style and quality.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 07:43   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Evidently, the Rival hulls were mostly moulded by Marine Construction (Woolston) Ltd., and many were fitted out by Southern Boatbuilding.
History| Rival Owners Association
About ➥ | Rival Owners Association
The cost of membership is £15 per annum ➥ | Rival Owners Association

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 13:58   #8

Thanks for all the information being shared. I have a project in mind, but still need to get my head around it as it is basically just a hull/shell. Havent attempted this before, but built a couple of houses....but yes don't want to make the same mistakes/lessons as I did when building a house.
@ Mandurah, I plan to continue to sail on a very nice C&C for the foreseeable future....

Old 14-02-2016, 05:46   #9

Just going through my original post, are there any Rival owners in Australia? There is a 38 on the market in New Zealand, I would like to see if I could arrange a sail, if possible. (My budget won't stretch to an offshore destination)

Old 28-03-2016, 09:51   #10

Hi Ozzie,

I am not in Australia but I am an owner of a Rival 38 in Ireland and can tell you they are one hell of a boat. I have owned a number of French boats over the years but this cant be beaten for comfort, ability to sail in a breeze in a big old Atlantic swell.
You should check out the book (Cruise-Luna-Quest-Eric-Faber) and blog. He has just completed a circumnavigation and is presently in the Caribbean. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cruise-Luna-.../dp/1907732357

It is also worth having a look at the Rival website:Home | Rival Owners Association

You mentioned Wandering Dream Steve Litson blog is full of information and makes great reading they also have just completed there trip around the world trip and are also in the Caribbean at the moment.
Wandering Dream - Steve Litson.

If that boat is still for sale in New Zealand she would be worth a look at. As there are none for sale in the world at the moment.

Best of luck with your search believe me it is worth it.

Richie
Richiegaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:27   #11

Hi Ozzie,

I totally agree with Richiegaa. We have a Rival 38 that we use for our sailing association here in Barcelona. The boat sails beautifully in all conditions. We've had maximum gusts up to 40 knots here in the Med so we were the only boat out, and she cut through the waves and handled the wind (with 3 reefs) like a dream.

For low wind cruising she still sails but it would be worth an investment into light sails for sailing downwind. Sailing into the wind is no problem.

I'm currently renovating the teak woodwork inside and out, and getting the boat MCA certified to put on sail later on this year. The only reason we sell is so that we can have a cockpit that can take 10-12 people in comfort to fit more of our associates onboard at one time.

I've sailed on a few plastic fantastic's and this is a million miles away. In 30-40 knots of wind you can steer the boat with 1 finger with a minimum of effort. You will also feel in complete control and safety.

If you want any further info or want a sail, feel free to be in touch as she'll be on sale sometime near the end of this year.

Cheers
Dave
Dave-in-Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:52   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rival 36 , 38 and 41

Rivals for sale in the UK....

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/boats.phtml?id=799

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:33   #13

Once again thanks all for the info. I have a long list of potential future purchases, for when I am ready:

Rival 38, 41
Bowman 40
Passport 40

These are sort of the first choices for now, but if you look at Mahina's website there are some names that are not as familiar but could offer some viable options.
( I realise I am going a bit off topic)

Alas I have to be patient- want to get my sailing skills and confidence at a level where I will be comfortable. If I look at my plan I have less than 10 years and 8 months to go- yes you need to have a departure date in mind otherwise it may move out... But can move earlier, pending finances and that acquired skill I was not born with- patience

Thanks for the offer Dave- I have an invite to jump on Wandering Dream as well when on the opposite quadrant of the globe

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-12-2016, 17:59   #14

Boat: Rival 41C, centre cockpit 41ft

Hi Ozzie, I have just come across this thread and thought I'd let you know we have a Rival 41C (centre cockpit) in Australia ( probably the only one) which we have owned for nearly 20 years. It is a lovely, lovely sea boat with heaps of storage for long distance stuff and will always look after you. Ours has the slightly taller mast and so sails really well even in light airs. We have been cruising the east coast from hobart to bowen over last couple of years and are currently in Moreton Bay. If you can get to us we would be happy to show you the boat if you are still interested.
BTW, we are reluctantly thinking we will put the boat up for sale in the near future. ☹️
lats&ats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 18:06   #15

Hi Lats & Ats

Good to here there is a good quality yacht in Australia!!
I am located in Perth (at the moment) but if I do end up on the East coast I will try to make use of your hospitality.
Don't be too quick to decide to part ways.....