Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 16:49   #61

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Raising, lowering, reefing from the cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Is sailing by not ever leaving the cockpit really sailing?

On my boat, everything having to do with the mainsail is done at the mast.
I guess IMOCA sailors, ULTIME sailors, etc, are not 'really sailing' in your estimation...

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 17:06   #62

Boat: Nonsuch 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I guess IMOCA sailors, ULTIME sailors, etc, are not 'really sailing' in your estimation...
I had to look those up. Holy cow! They actually look more like flying to me. Especially those trimarans.
Old 14-02-2022, 17:32   #63

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
Everyone is not you. You really need to understand that.
Sure I understand that and at times have wished I had more control from the cockpit but still stay with the same setup.

Here if the wind had increased I was going to be in trouble because I couldn't leave the helm and this is 3 hours in after things had laid down a bit.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 17:33   #64

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post

They mean nothing to me since I have never heard of them......
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 21:48   #65

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Great comments. I am 76, thinking about un-retiring from sailing and buying another boat. Good to read about how people my age accommodate working on their boats.

10 years ago I rigged my last boat, an Alberg 30, with main halyard and three sets of slab reefing lines run into the cockpit. I did not experience any trouble with the five sets of lines (3 reef points, main halyard, toping lift) jumbling up in the cockpit. Also did not have any particular problem with friction, running the lines thru blocks and eyes, etc. I did expect that, but once set up, no problems materialized. I also did use one small winch on the cabin top for the main halyard. But didn’t really need it. More of a convenience. Maybe on a larger boat these things would become an issue. But It wasn’t the case with the Alberg.

Now, all my sailing was singlehanded, so no helmsman to maintain steerage when working at the mast. I found running the lines into the cockpit to be a tremendous advantage, and will do so again in a heartbeat if I actually talk the wife into heading out into the deep blue for one last harraugh!
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 17:18   #66

Boat: Edel 35

If I had to single out the most useful device that improves handling all lines, whether routed to the cockpit or at the mast base, mainsheet, anchor windlass, even docking , that one device is an autopilot REMOTE that I have hanging around my neck at all times. Even if or when there are other people onboard, being able to steer the boat remotely while I do something else anywhere on the boat is priceless.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 17:24   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatLove View Post
If I had to single out the most useful device that improves handling all lines, whether routed to the cockpit or at the mast base, mainsheet, anchor windlass, even docking , that one device is an autopilot REMOTE that I have hanging around my neck at all times. Even if or when there are other people onboard, being able to steer the boat remotely while I do something else anywhere on the boat is priceless.
I agree. Another device is an anchor windlass device on my neck.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 22:28   #68

Boat: Island Packet 40

78 and still single handing a couple of thousand nautical miles of coastal cruising per year.

Due to a rare moment of stupidity I had to hand steer and sail handle for a few days without an autopilot and it can be done by a geriatric but not a particularly pleasant experience (Mainly due to not being able to go below and make coffee and snacks all day)

Being able to sail handle from the cockpit is a definite plus just to be able to avoid climbing up and down from the coach roof with ancient knees.

Since I primarily sail downwind with poled out foresails I have set up the poles to allow me to jibe the foresail without leaving the cockpit.

The boat is an Island Packet 40 so the sails are fairly large and, whilst I can still handle it, I would not like it to be any larger whilst progressing into my eighties.

Tossing up whether I should give up sex or buy a power cruiser when I can no longer handle the sail boat (Feel I will lack the energy for both)
Old 08-10-2022, 08:58   #69

Boat: Tartan 40
Raising, lowering, reefing from the cockpit.

There really are pros and cons to each way so I’ll describe what’s worked for me in 7K nm on current boat in bay and coastal offshore passages in all conditions.
First of all, a mainsail cradle cover was the biggest game changer. I use the mainsail much more on short sails where I may have been lazy before. Only takes a minute to neaten the mainsail, zip it up and be done. And, with the lazy jacks forward enough I can raise my full batten main without ever touching them. So, having the halyard aft makes dropping in a squall, etc- much quicker and secure.
When slab reefing, the cradle cover also means there is no need to tie in mainsail ties. Just lower halyard, go forward and hook tack ring, come back to cockpit, tension halyard and clew reefing line from cockpit.
Second great thing- tides marine track. Means reefing, dousing can be done off the wind which is much calmer and safer, and reduces apparent wind. Friction I. Your track leads to unsafe wrestling at the mast when you most don’t want it.
The worst thing about lines aft is the friction. I can hoist my mainsail by hand from the mast where it exits (navy blue line below), place in clam cleat on mast, then go back to cockpit to winch and tension it (line pops out of cleat when I do that) If I choose to raise from cockpit I can only get it 1/2 up and have to use winch for rest.
I am young (late 40s) and I like both approaches. Have to admit it’s nice to do some of it from inside of dodger especially in nasty weather. Being able to adjust halyard tension and outhaul for comfort/safety of cockpit, eg- means I do it more.
But the hybrid main halyard setup has worked really well to have best of both worlds Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665244683.043682.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	265481Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5682.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	265482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5684.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	265483
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 17:41   #70

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Looks like most of the GGR entrants have set up their boats with reefing lines led into cockpit. All in the 34’ - 36’ LOA class.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 20:18   #71

Boat: Hanse 348

Getting a Hanse w in mast furling. It also has a self tacking jib. ALL lines led back to the helm. I single hand from a mooring or when I have company they are usually not experienced sailors. All other boats I have had or seen have several control lines on top of the cabin by the companion way hatch. Usually main halyard and reefing lines or control lines for filling main.

Someone is invariably ALWAY in the way of one of those lines EXACTLY when you need to be there.

My hope is that with 2 electric winches by the control lines at each wheel I will be able to control everything, reefing if I need to, etc.

Worked that way during the test sail at least.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 22:17   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Getting a Hanse w in mast furling. It also has a self tacking jib. ALL lines led back to the helm. I single hand from a mooring or when I have company they are usually not experienced sailors. All other boats I have had or seen have several control lines on top of the cabin by the companion way hatch. Usually main halyard and reefing lines or control lines for filling main.

Someone is invariably ALWAY in the way of one of those lines EXACTLY when you need to be there.

My hope is that with 2 electric winches by the control lines at each wheel I will be able to control everything, reefing if I need to, etc.

Admittedly, I haven’t sailed a layout such as this yet. The boats I’ve seen that only have 2 winches, each with a long row of clutches seems problematic with having to move lines on and off winches. Plus there’s a huge pile of lines… all right there in a small space next to or on the combing (or stuffed into a well in the combing). I guess the self tacking jib would help. I’d like to give it a whirl, but my gut isn’t so sure about it. I have no problem on my boat moving from side to side, or forward to a winch on cabin top. Just clear, occasionally “emphatic” instructions to passengers.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 23:05   #73

Boat: Hanse 348
Raising, lowering, reefing from the cockpit.

While all lines are there, while sailing you are basically using 2, main and jib sheet. Port side for one, stub for the other. Although main is double ended, so you can get it from both sides, but if on jib side you would need to use a spin lock
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 23:28   #74
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post

Yes I saw this setup yesterday. It’s a nice idea.

Tags
ais, cockpit