Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2018, 05:58   #106

Re: Potential Buyer Asking for a "Test Drive"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle G View Post
One could ask for a small amount of money ($50 or £50) to take them out ("to cover expenses" - then it's not a charter) on the understanding that it would be refundable if they buy the boat.
Then, if they are time wasters you won't feel so bad about wasting your time and you save the bother of contracts etc.
I don't think that would qualify for the "friends & family" exception to commercial chartering. If things go bad, this would likely be considered a commercial charter.

There is clearly a financial remuneration angle is really the standard. If they fall and hurt themselves, officially you are running an unlicensed, uninsured charter. 99% of the time you will be fine but when things go to poo...

Much better to use standard approach of a refundable deposit. Most people won't fork over $1000 or more if they aren't serious.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:01   #107

Boat: Rafiki 37

Those who keep saying a "test sail" is mandatory clearly have not sold many cruising level boats, at least not in North America. Maybe standard practice is different elsewhere, but here you make a deal first. This deal is usually contingent on a satisfactory sea trial.

A sea trial is not typically a test to see if you like the boat. As the buyer you're expected to know this already. A sea trial is to ensure all systems are operating as advertised.

As a seller you are free to do whatever you want, but a free test sail is not standard in NA. And brokers will definitely not be entertaining such a thing as a general rule.

When I sold my last boat the number of not-serious contacts vs serious buyers was easily 20 to 1. If you come in demanding a free test drive, you're telling me you haven't done your research, which tells me you're not a serious buyer.
Old 20-08-2018, 06:32   #108

In the boat buying/selling world you get a test drive when you write a contract.
I would NEVER let a prospective buyer run a boat without having a valid binding contract
Bbolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:45   #109

Boat: 36' Gaff Rig Cutter

Sail it...and sell your boat. What could be the harm? You're the Captain, you call all the shots...but the bottim line...be a salesman if you are serious about selling your boat. If it takes a little ride to get it done, I see no prob. GL
NellieJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:47   #110

I have my boat for sale, a 67ft ketch. I have made it clear that all functions can be tested at the dock. The boat doesn't moved without an agreement to purchase with a 10% deposit. If they wish to "go for a ride" day charter rates apply. If a purchaser is really interested in buying your boat, the deal is done before sea trials and haul outs for inspection, with subject to clauses. The lookylou's can wear you out! It is not unreasonable to ask for compensation for your time and costs away from the dock. If they buy the boat, the cost comes off the purchase price.
stargate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 06:49   #111

I've never bought or sold privately, but have twice bought from agents of the manufacturer. They use test sails as a good opportunity to increase buyer lust. Worked for me twice.

So I would take him out for a sail. Might ask some questions about how he is funding the boat, etc to assess his seriousness. Might ask what he is going to be looking for from the sea trial.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:00   #112

Boat: Rafiki 37

There’s no one universal answer. If the potential buyer really did seem serious, and a test sail really would make a difference, and it was easy to do (not always true for a cruising-level boat), then I might take the person for “test sail.”

But in most cases a request for a “test sail” to see if the shopper liked the feel of the boat, or some such thing, would be a major signal to me that this person is NOT a serious buyer. If you’re a serious buyer you know the process and already know the type of boat you’re looking at. If you don’t, then you need to do more work before wasting my time as a seller.

Maybe this works differently at the higher end, or for smaller boats, but for older cruising-type boats (the ones I know), taking all tire-kickers out for an afternoon sail would make the cost of selling (in my time, and other direct costs) such that I’d have to double the selling price.
Old 20-08-2018, 07:01   #113

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbolino View Post
In the boat buying/selling world you get a test drive when you write a contract.
I would NEVER let a prospective buyer run a boat without having a valid binding contract

I have bought and sold boats for 60 years and have never bought one without a sea trial BEFORE ANY contract and any money. Same with selling.I consider the sea trial of boats I am selling to be a chance to get to know the buyer and decide if I want to sell to him/her. Only ONCE did I buy from a dealer and never will again. They charge a premium so that they can be a pain in the ass. I dont have to pay for pain.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:25   #114

Boat: 36' Gaff Rig Cutter

Agreed. Fisherman 40 years...never bought a boat I didn't test drive. Never would.
NellieJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:31   #115

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

You have to weed out the tire kicker.Those do not deserve a "test ride" or sea trial. But I asked for a sea trials on boat that I was definitely interested in. Those short excursions, usually less than 2 hours helped Me make the decision that a haul out was next. A few of those sea trial showed that there was a rudder problem , or a wobbly shaft, transmission issues and so on. Sea trials is usually The next step for Me if I like the boat, after that comes the haul out (at the buyers expense of course) so in order to deem if the expense is warranted, a sea trial is a must first in order to weed out the junks that can be hidden cosmetically. But you need to weed out the free riders, from the serious buyers. But you need to be on the boat yourself, after all you are the one that knows the boat, not the broker, that usually is a mere salesman only looking at his percentage of the sale. If there is a question during the sea trial, you are more apt to answer quickly and honestly than a broker would.
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:35   #116

I would ask if he likes the way it sail will he buy the boat. Nothing wrong about settling on a firm agreed price before you leave the dock. I always took folks for a sail because it gave me time to point out the best features. If you say no he will pass
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:02   #117

Twice I put a 10% deposit, only to have to wait 2 months to get it back. NEVER again. I bought My last boat in Curacao, after 4 months of negotiations. Agreed on a price before I flew 4000 miles to see it I also stipulated that I would no give a deposit unless the boat was as stated, and pass a sea trial. I made it a vacation primarily, and the possibility of buying the boat. Saw the boat at anchor the first day, looked good, spent 3 hours with the owner, looked at the wiring, solar panels, water maker, electronics, engine, storage compartments, Tried the heads, tried the births, tried the salon, checked every thing from a to z. The next day was the sea trial, I stated that if the boat was as advertise I would want a haul out. We actually made the sea trial on the way to a boat yard. He was so confident I would like it that He reserved the travel lift. He was right. After I personally did the inspection ( after 40 years of owning boats, I do not need a "pseudo" boat inspector) I had a few bad experiences with them also. We hauled out. Checked every thing under water for about 2 hours. Shook hands and the next day, We were at the lawyer signing papers and transferring money electronically. Every thing was pre arranged, He was honest, and so was I. That is how you buy boats, and sell boats.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:12   #118

Boat: Corsair F-31-UC

I have only purchased two boats in my life and did a test drive on each before signing any contract or agreement (or even discussing price). The boats I didn't like were not worth a test drive.

It is unlikely that I would have purchased either boat if the owner refused to take me on a test drive.

Both test drives were only about an hour. I did not need any more than that to be convinced that I liked the feel of the boat, and that things were as described.

Some of the dealers who sell used trimarans will ask for a $200 deposit before a test ride which will be applied to the purchase price. That sounds reasonable to me if I have already taken a good look at things with the boat at the dock. I would NEVER put down a large deposit without test driving a boat first. I just don't have the time to take someone to court if the refuse to refund my deposit, I'd rather wait to find a reasonable seller.

The more roadblocks you put in the way of a buyer, the less likely you are to sell your boat in a reasonable amount of time.
Trimaran Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:13   #119

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

That is the way I do it and HONESTY never fails. I have never walked away from an HONEST seller and MOST Brokers are NOT honest. Note I said MOST, not all. They are ticks on a dogs hind end, walking around in their white slacks and sun glasses, providing nothing but a tax on the sale. Ever wonder why inflation is usually around 5 to 6 percent? Its because Realestate brokers charge that for a commission.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 08:20   #120

@ jimisbell My thought exactly. honest people are not the one to worry about, it is the liars and profiteers that is the issue. Boats never sell in the short terms. By talking to the owner directly ( something the brokers hates with a passion by the way) You can sense if He is honest or not. So ask for the owners contact, talk to him a lot. If the boat sells during that time, then it was not meant to be. There will be an other boat down the road. Be prepare to walk away at all times. That is My motto. Brokers and liars will never like Me. But that is okay, I have enough friends any way. And by the way, I had the boat now for 7 years, and Me and the past owner have kept in touch.